Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How does buying gear from this site work?

Mikeg

Pretty much like any other classified ads - someone indicates the price they'd like for an item, and from there on everything is negotiable. About the only thing that differentiates the Marketplace forums from any other online ads is the feedback system and being able to see whether they've been a longstanding active member of the forum.

If you're looking to sell there is a sticky with the relevant rules in the For Sale forums.

[quote name='merello' post='940437' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:59 PM']Cheques, paypal, bank transfers, postal orders all work if both parties are up for it. Once you have paid, the vendor sends the item. Lot of trust involved but that's why you look at the feedback.[/quote]

Very reasonable but I've also worked it in reverse!

I've done deals with newbies whereby because I've got good feedback and loads of history (GAS has a lot to answer for), I've received the item first then paid for it afterwards. That may seem odd but it makes complete sense... why would I pay someone who is new to the forum and trust to them sending the item when I am the one with 100% positive feedback and masses of contact with everyone from the mods through to complete strangers asking advice on Warwicks?

However, there is no substitute for meeting up in person. :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Mikeg' post='940672' date='Aug 31 2010, 09:22 AM']Thanks for all the help. :)

So lets say i did get ripped off somehow, what could i do to get my money back?[/quote]
Nothing, other than the usual.

That's why it's best to meet up in person if it's a newbie or you're at all uncertain.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='940672' date='Aug 31 2010, 09:22 AM']Thanks for all the help. :)

So lets say i did get ripped off somehow, what could i do to get my money back?[/quote]

If you use PayPal they have a pretty good system of getting you your money back in 45 days (sometimes too good :rolleyes: ) but i think you have to have an adult bank account to use it or something.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='940735' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:25 AM'][b]If you use PayPal they have a pretty good system of getting you your money back in 45 days (sometimes too good :) )[/b] but i think you have to have an adult bank account to use it or something.[/quote]

Only 'really' of any use if you are talking about eBay, otherwise for a private transaction between individuals its not applicable.

No disrespect to the OP intended but unless he is a very savvy individual, I'd get a responsible adult to look at your intended transaction... 'responsible adult' that excludes anyone on this site then! :rolleyes:

lemmywinks, I like the sound of that idea.

I dont mind being a bagman, free bass AND some money :ph34r:

Its worth noting that the last time someone on here tried to rip someone off I believe they got hunted down fairly rapidly. Not sure how etc etc, but I found it reassuring :)

[quote name='Mikeg' post='940672' date='Aug 31 2010, 09:22 AM']So lets say i did get ripped off somehow, what could i do to get my money back?[/quote]
As a website, we accept no responsibility for transactions that take place on this website - it is the buyer/sellers responsbility to be satisfied a transaction is kosher. If something does go wrong, we can act as mediators if required, however make no guarantees for any situation to be resolved to the satisfaction of the complainent :).

[quote name='Mikeg' post='940672' date='Aug 31 2010, 09:22 AM']....So lets say i did get ripped off somehow, what could i do to get my money back?....[/quote]
Try to buy and sell locally. If the sale is over £50 then meet up. If it's over £100 then get together at your or the other guy's house and try the gear out. Don't be impatient and buy quickly, there'll be another one along soon.

We have had baddies here and will probably have more in the future but most of the guys on BC are great. Ultimately though each sale is down to you.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='940759' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:49 AM']Only 'really' of any use if you are talking about eBay, otherwise for a private transaction between individuals its not applicable.[/quote]

:)

I've not tried it for a private transaction, and hopefully i won't but i thought it was just the same really.

hey man, i've not been on here long and have already done some buying/selling. First off use the feedback section, I traded a bass with a guy on here from Finland. Really wasn't to sure about sending my bass to some unkown chap but saw the feedback, talked to him abit and felt he was a good guy and luckily I was right. Most people on here are pretty cool and won't screw you.

One other thing, first don't think you'll look stupid to get your folks involved, if you see something you want etc. and call whoever is selling it don't be afraid to get an "adult" to have a chat with them too. I don't think anyone would be bothered by that and maybe feel a little better as no-one wants a phone call from someones folks a month later asking them why you've taken all their sons birthday money or something for a new bass. Just a thought

I've just sent a cheque for £370 to a guy on here for an Orange Bass Terror head. Normally, I'd want to use Paypal for any transaction at this amount of funds, but I've had nothing but good experiences from Basschat traders so far (fingers crossed) and the guy I'm buying from has an excellent history and great feedback.

Yes, it's trust based, but having been a member of various forums in my time (including a couple of Vw forums- Clubgti.com and corrado-forum.net, both excellent, and both great for buying and selling) you soon get an idea of how these sites work, and anyone dishonest is usually found out very quickly. Basschat is as good a forum as I've been on, and it really is a community. Should the worst happen, I've no doubt fellow BC'ers in the area of the 'seller' would be round there like a shot to sort it out for you.

Yep, to date, everyone I`ve dealt with, both buying and selling, I`ve had no problems, but of course its wise to trust your instincts re each individual transaction. If something comes up that yr after, try an historical search to see if other similar items have been sold on here, and what the prices were, give you a good idea of what the items worth is. If what yr buying is ridiculously low priced, you have to think, why, though reasons may be stated in the ad. Sometimes, people do need the cash, for whatever reason, so you get a bargain.

use your head, firstly realise you don't *need* the item/bass so don't rush into ANYTHING, take your time.
I'm guessing at 15 any money you have is pocket money and you don't have a lot of it, so be carefull. Also parents may not be right but don't ignore them.
Look at who the person is, there are folk on here I would trust tottally, just from seeing them on the forum. There are others I would not. Use your brian a bit.

Also however crap you may think it is, that 14th birthday present of a bass your parents and grandparents scripmt and saved to give you, don't sell that with out them being ok with it!

Its not something you would want all the time filling up the forum but as a noob you could post a topic in the rellevant section with a brief outline of the deal and there will be loads of experts to tell you whats what with both the gear and the seller just read a few closed threads to see what happens if someone trys to fob people off with a fake/copy or even just an incorrect term .(CS jaco last few weeks! :lol: ) And as others have said wait around ask questions and you will soon see who pops up for the rellevant things you are after,Im in the musicman gang and could name the first half dozen people on any thread in any topic that contains the words Musicman or weak G String! :) The same will apply to whatever your after.

Anyway welcome,Im still a sort of noob but getting the jist of who is who.The good news is Tino is on Holiday! :rolleyes:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 3 weeks later...