Why become a member? ×

For the Michael Anthony detractors

Mcgiver69

Here is recording of a Chickenfoot's gig, listen how Michael holds it and grooves. The guy can play and I love how you can listen a clear JPJ influence.

I wonder if he just kept playing straight notes in VH because of Eddie being a megalomaniac, Alex being a crap drummer or a combination of both.

[quote name='silddx' post='937121' date='Aug 26 2010, 01:38 PM']I'm thinking of starting a "For the Alex Van Halen Detractors". :)

Why is he a crap drummer. I think he's a good drummer, he played all the right things on the VH albums, and he holds time well enough. What's the problem with him?[/quote]
I for one would never pick a fight with him :rolleyes:

Van Halen do an undeniably great shuffle...bounce bounce bounce...

Also, only a buffoon would slag someone like Michael Anthony off for not being a *technical wizard*. A bassist with *fearsome chopz* would sound godawful in a band like Van Halen.

There is a place for bass virtuosity and a place for being a source of solid pulse.

Edited by Cairobill

There are detractors of Michael Anthony and Alex Van Halen ?! I must have been living in a parallel universe, VH during the DLR/MA period were one fantastic tight outfit producing top notch music, while MA doesn't do Victor Wooten he does exactly what's needed for the tracks and some of it even grooves :).

I'm astounded that he has detractors for doing such a damn fine job ! I'm off back to my universe :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='silddx' post='937121' date='Aug 26 2010, 01:38 PM']I'm thinking of starting a "For the Alex Van Halen Detractors". :)

Why is he a crap drummer. I think he's a good drummer, he played all the right things on the VH albums, and he holds time well enough. What's the problem with him?[/quote]

Maybe this will give you an idea of how crap he is, specially at the end. My main problem with him is that constantly he overplays a lot and don't start me with those misplaced syncopations.

For me MA's playing is spot on. Also, his backing vocals are second to none in that genre.

Apparently VH was once looking to sack MA and replace him with Billy Sheehan. I expect that the nearest we will know to what that would have been like is 'Eat em and Smile'. The best VH album they never made IMO.

[quote name='Heathy' post='937372' date='Aug 26 2010, 05:55 PM']For me MA's playing is spot on. Also, his backing vocals are second to none in that genre.

Apparently VH was once looking to sack MA and replace him with Billy Sheehan. I expect that the nearest we will know to what that would have been like is 'Eat em and Smile'. The best VH album they never made IMO.[/quote]

+1 . Apparently Jeff Berlin was considered as well.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='937461' date='Aug 26 2010, 07:56 PM']I'm not prejudging him here, 'cos I know nowt about him, but... I've just listened to the first minute of that clip - the solo bit, I suppose - and parts of it sounded like a proper mess.....?[/quote]
Glad I'm not the only one. Much like you WoT I know nothing about him, but I didn't really get much from the beginning. I'm a bit hesitant to criticise well known players as I'm cr@p :) , but that didn't seem very good to me.

MA's playing on VH2 is fantastic, as it is on Fair warning, though I know there are rumours about whether he actually played on the albums - I'd like to think so. His playing seemed to change to a more 8th/16th root note style during the Hagar years, it was a lot busier, but still great on the earlier stuff.

i agree that MA's playing is very good and underated - i was briefly doing a Van Halen tribute thing a while back and if you listen to a lot of his basswork properly theres more going on than initially meets the eye (or ear!) Fair Warning album in particular has some very nice bits going on in places. His backing vox too are also very good.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Sheehan was approached to replace MA when Van Halen reformed recently but declined because of his friendship with him.

c

Hmm, okay I couldn't watch/listen to the clip at work but I'd have to say that was pretty messy. Shame. Whilst I've never thought of MA as a Billy Sheehan I always felt he did what was need for VH during the DLR period (as I don't count the Hagar years), but I think he should stay well clear of soloing in anyway if that's his output :)

Edited by purpleblob

I cannot believe people would think AVH is a bad drummer. He's regarded as one of the best. All ya gotta do is listen to VH1 and 2 to know that. Their music was unique at the time. 1 and 2 are perfect rock albums. Granted sammy hagar period was bollocks but with David Lee they were legendary. MA playes perfect basslines for the songs on all there stuff. definitely JPJ inspired. I read an interview years ago where he said it. he also said he spent ages learning The Lemon Song note perfect. Anyone who can play that note perfect has to be pretty handy.

[quote name='Marvin' post='937467' date='Aug 26 2010, 08:05 PM']Glad I'm not the only one. Much like you WoT I know nothing about him, but I didn't really get much from the beginning. I'm a bit hesitant to criticise well known players as I'm cr@p :) , but that didn't seem very good to me.[/quote]

Yes pretty messy indeed, but what I regard as pretty good was the grooving once the song developed. I've always understood that MA soloing was nothing more than entertaiment in the middle of their shows. But his playing for VH and his backing vocal were pivotal to the VH sound.

MA played in all albums in the DLR years and almost never played in the last 3 albums of VH as Eddie took the bass recording. You can hear how basic the playing was in those albums, there are no runs and the tone is very different.

Edited by Mcgiver69