Why become a member? ×

Sting Appreciation - as a bassist

xilddx

I know lots of people dislike the guy, because of what they read and see of him in the meejah, but this isn't about that.

This is about the fact he is a fabulous pop and rock bassist. I realise some of the qualities below are because he is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, but most of the celebrated pop and rock bassists are aswell, like Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Paul McCartney. It is why I can't get into Jaco, Wooten, Alain Caron, etc. They are not songwriters, they are instrument operators with enormous facility. To me they are making bass a solo instrument, which I don't like at all. Compared to other solo-inclined instruments, it is simply far too limited, both in timbre and potential for compelling expression, beyond the odd song or two. Which is why most solo-type bassists all do more-or-less the same thing. It's like the difference between a sax and a tuba. I don't want to hear a tuba solo, do you? That's just my view you understand.

[b]Sting Qualities:[/b]
He uses the bass to get the most from his songs.
He uses the bass to get the most from his vocal.
He uses the bass to create atmoshere and make the song [i]breathe[/i].
He creates bass lines which are [b]interesting [/b]and [b]inspiring [/b]as well as doing the above.
He varies his bass lines throughout the song in a compelling way, with many rhythmic, melodic and harmonic accents and grace notes.
He improvises and jazzes up his bass lines in a live setting which adds a lot of interest to the interplay with the rest of the band.
He gets good tones.
He plays very sensitively and knows when to accent and when to hold back.
Most of all, he understands the multiple roles of the bass and uses them appropriately and to maximum effect in the song. I believe he does this instinctively.

I think he's a bit of a genius on bass.

What do you think?

Edited by silddx

He can play bass and sing. That's enough in my book.

I love the first Police album. Saw them live a couple of times before they broke into the charts and they were amazing. I don't have love for his later stuff but I don't see anything to knock in his playing either.
I'd love to write a song as good as Next To You. Sometimes the simple stuff is best. He managed to cock it up on the reunion tour when he jazzed it up though.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Clarky' post='935664' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:41 AM']His bass playing in early Police was good and memorable ([b]everyone plays Walking On The Moon, don't they, while noodling?)[/b]

However the only solo album of his I liked (Dream of the Blue Turtles) featured Darryl Jones on bass![/quote]
Yep! In fact we played it in a rehearsal a few weeks ago, Kit started playing and singing it, and we all joined in, even the violins. It's a wickid number. I've played it in auditions and when I tried out an EUB in the Gallery. It is so simple but it insinuates itself into one's head for the rest of your life once you've heard it. It's a great line for drummers to play around, it drives the song, it is based on two notes but doesn't sound like it. The ultimate in basslines.

[quote name='silddx' post='935657' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:29 AM']I know lots of people dislike the guy, because of what they read and see of him in the meejah, but this isn't about that.

This is about the fact he is a fabulous pop and rock bassist. I realise some of the qualities below are because he is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, but most of the celebrated pop and rock bassists are aswell, like Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Paul McCartney. It is why I can't get into Jaco, Wooten, Alain Caron, etc. They are not songwriters, they are instrument operators with enormous facility. To me they are making bass a solo instrument, which I don't like at all. Compared to other solo-inclined instruments, it is simply far too limited, both in timbre and potential for compelling expression, beyond the odd song or two. Which is why most solo-type bassists all do more-or-less the same thing. It's like the difference between a sax and a tuba. I don't want to hear a tuba solo, do you? That's just my view you understand.

He creates bass lines which are [b]interesting [/b]and [b]inspiring [/b]as well as doing the above.
He varies his bass lines throughout the song in a compelling way, with many rhythmic, melodic and harmonic accents and grace notes.
He improvises and jazzes up his bass lines in a live setting which adds a lot of interest to the interplay with the rest of the band.
He gets good tones.
Most of all, he understands the multiple roles of the bass and uses them appropriately and to maximum effect in the song. I believe he does this instinctively.

What do you think?[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with all of the above sliddx.
As well as most of the Police stuff; one can almost forgive the daft high pitch reggae'ish vocals, I really like his Nothing like the sun solo album with him on bass and a stellar lineup of musicians playing on it.
Good point about songwriter bassplayers versus muso bass players. I find that as with guitards noodly players are often at their best playing on other people's material. Tony Levin+ Peter Gabriel( and just about everything else he's played on), Steve Vai+ Zappa are perfect examples for me.

[quote name='lonestar' post='935674' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:54 AM']I couldn't agree more with all of the above sliddx.
As well as most of the Police stuff; one can almost forgive the daft high pitch reggae'ish vocals, I really like his Nothing like the sun solo album with him on bass and a stellar lineup of musicians playing on it.
Good point about songwriter bassplayers versus muso bass players. I find that as with guitards noodly players are often at their best playing on other people's material. Tony Levin+ Peter Gabriel( and just about everything else he's played on), Steve Vai+ Zappa are perfect examples for me.[/quote]
Exactly my point.

Most of Zappa's musicians were pretty bad when it came to solo material. I think Zappa was invited to make a speech to some music college in the states churning out top flight instrumentalists, might have been Berklee, can't remember. He said something like "don't try to make music, music doesn't need you". I'll look it up tonight when I get home and post the accurate quote.

I like Sting and I always have done. I like his voice, I like his music (well, most of it), and I love his playing.
I don't care how supposedly naff he is or how much the media like to poke fun. I like and respect him as a musician. So there. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='935657' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:29 AM']I know lots of people dislike the guy, because of what they read and see of him in the meejah, but this isn't about that.

He gets good tones.

What do you think?[/quote]

+1 from me.

Seen him play live several times and always enjoyed the new ways he reworked his material, both his own and The Police's. Always thought that he's a great musician and song writer and plays what needs to be played to make the song work. Nuff sed really.

When I was studying Music Production at Newcastle College, Sting came along and basically had an open rehearsal with the guys he was using for a show that evening. He had to rest his sore throat for the show, so he pulled a couple of fans out of the crowd of students to do the singing and just sat back to play bass. It was a real treat to watch him just concentrating on the bassing. Mainly very simple lines (with those lovely little melodic flourishes Nigel mentioned), played with confidence, groove and solidity. (And it was clearly something he hadn't done in a while, because he was reading charts for his own songs!)

In the end, his throat didn't hold out that well, so he invited a couple of the students along to the show to do some of the vocal duties for the real thing. Now [i]that[/i] must've been pretty awesome for them.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='935693' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:16 AM']When I was studying Music Production at Newcastle College, Sting came along and basically had an open rehearsal with the guys he was using for a show that evening. He had to rest his sore throat for the show, so he pulled a couple of fans out of the crowd of students to do the singing and just sat back to play bass. It was a real treat to watch him just concentrating on the bassing. Mainly very simple lines (with those lovely little melodic flourishes Nigel mentioned), played with confidence, groove and solidity. (And it was clearly something he hadn't done in a while, because he was reading charts for his own songs!)

In the end, his throat didn't hold out that well, so he invited a couple of the students along to the show to do some of the vocal duties for the real thing. Now [i]that[/i] must've been pretty awesome for them.[/quote]
Er, WOW!

Sting's a song writier. A fantastic song writer and his bass playing will always compliment the song. He's usually able to come up with very good bass lines that just work. Try playing something else to any of the hits. It just doesn't work and that's the sign of a great player.

[quote name='Clarky' post='935664' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:41 AM']His bass playing in early Police was good and memorable (everyone plays Walking On The Moon, don't they, while noodling?)[/quote]
Yes, but not everyone gets cautioned for doing it. :blush:

Playing at a party and there was a police raid due to the noise, and we'd been told in no uncertain terms to stop. I couldn't resist just slipping in the bass line as the constabulary were leaving. Mistake.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='935736' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:47 AM']Personally I'd like to hear more people saying which Sting basslines they like in particular, and why. Anyone?[/quote]
My personal favourite is Wrapped Around Your Finger. For its wonderful feel and how the notes compliment the feel of the lyrics so perfectly. The choice of a fretless for the album version was inspired, chosen for precisely the right reasons. I love his little embellishments throughout the song, little slides, rhythmic accents, natural harmonics, etc.

I love all recorded versions of it, studio and live. The fact it's such a wonderful vehicle for Stewart Copeland is a much appreciated and massive bonus.

Edited by silddx

I'll pitch in on the plus side here too.

One of my favourites is one of the simplest - Fields of Gold (studio version). Just love the way it flows. I first learnt to play it whern I got back into the bass game in 2003. I was using a ... Sting Signature Bass!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='935736' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:47 AM']Personally I'd like to hear more people saying which Sting basslines they like in particular, and why. Anyone?[/quote]

The great songs have ones I don't notice and that's the point for me. They just work as part of the whole. If I really like a song I hardly ever seperate the bassline from the songs as a whole when I'm listening to it.

As I've said I love the song Next To You and he's bashing away at the open E for a large part of it but it works perfectly. So I'll go for that one.

This might be an interesting read for some, here Hugh Padgham who was the Police's engineer' for their last few albums talks about Sting's bass ability.

[quote]"Recording the bass could be frustrating, Padgham says, when Sting wanted to play while jumping on a mini trampoline. “It sounds mad — and I have trouble recalling whether it was during Ghost in the Machine or Synchronicity, because we recorded them 18 months apart at the same place 20 years ago — but what was really annoying was, even at the best of times, with all due respect to Sting, who is a fantastic bass player, he's quite sloppy. If you solo his bass track, there's all sorts of fret noise and bits of dodgy playing. When he was bouncing on the trampoline, it made it even worse. But, of course, if you said, ‘Could you not bounce quite so much, please,’ he'd bounce even more. Nowadays, I'd know to say, ‘Could you bounce more please,’ and he'd probably get off it! With respect to his sound, whether he was bouncing on the trampoline or not, he always used his old Fender jazz bass, and it was never put through an amplifier. I only ever DI'd it, and in those days, it always had a bit of Boss chorus pedal on it, which made the bass sound a little thicker. Then we would overdub a Dutch upright electric double-bass that was nicknamed Brian. It was, ‘Let's put Brian on the track.’ He wouldn't emulate the whole part, just perhaps the first note of the bar.”"[/quote]

Full article to be found here: [url="http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_polices_every_breath/"]http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/...s_every_breath/[/url]