Why become a member? ×

Sting Appreciation - as a bassist

xilddx

[quote name='Spoombung' post='937908' date='Aug 27 2010, 10:51 AM']To get to Sting's bass playing you have to get past his silly, high-pitched voice and cod - Jamaican accent ...and I'm not prepred to do that, I'm afraid.[/quote]

I love cod-Jamaican, I love anchovies too, in fact I'm really into any salty fish.

Sting is a great bass player in the McCartney mode. His lines never overwhelm the song and he's just as happy hitting the root if it suits. One's that always get my interest are St Augustine in Hell, Love is Stronger Than Justice and Every Little thing She Does Is Magic...they sound simple but you better be awake. Remember, he's singing at the same time!

[quote name='peteb' post='938099' date='Aug 27 2010, 02:08 PM']Re. the Sting / Jaco comparisons

I'm sure that Sting would be the first to be embarrassed to be compared to Jaco as a bass player – different stratosphere mate!

Jaco composed some nice pieces of music (Portrait of Tracy, etc) but there is no doubt that Sting is a far better pop/rock songwriter – the Police were one of THE great singles bands……[/quote]
Sting actually has said that one of the greatest musical nights he had was after one of the synchronicity gigs jaco came backstage and played stings steinberger, blew sting away invitation,giant steps,Donna Lee,teen town jaco tore through them all,
Would have loved to have heard that.

Edited by blamelouis