Why become a member? ×

Shark In The Water

Faithless

You probably know this tune, but there's a horn section added and Janek is playing his Fodera, which sounds very nice to my ears.. (he always plays this tune on P bass, but there were issues with delivering backline to that very show..)

Check out those nice horn arrangements by Janek, and some real pro playing..

easy
Faith

Edited by Faithless

Never heard of these guys before (I'm about 10 years behind what's happening), but that was great! The horn section and backing vocals make a huge difference to the first video. And the bass sounds a lot better IMO.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Faithless' post='921034' date='Aug 10 2010, 09:54 PM']Do you? :)

Here you go..

Well, can't say it sounds worse with P, just different.. Fodera's more defined.

And, it seems, that, in Letterman show, Janek needed to count it for those bloody horns, hehe.. :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's better! :lol:

To be honest I'm just not mad on Foderas, nothing gets better for me than a good Fender Jazz or P. Must say I was a bit ignorant to the fact that Janek did anything else aside from his solo stuff, which I'm not mad on, but the guy is obviously a great player.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I was afraid I was going to find some variation on a certain song by Deep Purple... :rolleyes:
Anyway, yeah, I enjoyed the Letterman performance; great voice, nice harmonies, good vibe, lovely brass section.
Oh and the bass wasn't too sad, either!!! :lol: :)

The horns were on the origional record, nothing new from janek.

I do however much prefer the fodera's sound. It gives it more edge and impact rather than be too warm like the p bass.

I also really like VV browns voice and bought the album after seeing her on jooles holland and im afraid there arnt many good songs on there.

[quote name='Mike' post='921460' date='Aug 11 2010, 11:51 AM']FWIW I believe Janek is her MD. I like how he juggles working in pop, playing as a jazz sideman (eg Mike Stern, Bob Reynolds) and his own band.[/quote]

your correct, he has been since the release of her album. The moneys in pop, whereas jazz its not. There was a big topic about this before

Well, while I like her 'behind the beat' thing, which kinda gives that [i]live [/i]feeling, her album isn't very strong - there are a few nice tunes, but there's also some weak stuff. But this isn't surprise to me, as she considers herself as a 'songwriter', so maybe it's her 'input', that didn't make the album a top one..

Wattabout VV not being 'massive'.. Well, she's a new artist to the industry, and having a major USA tour isn't too bad for a new artist, is it.. I think, you won't become 'massive' in a moment, it takes time, and a few albums :)

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Rayman' post='921810' date='Aug 11 2010, 05:34 PM']He's an all round cool cat our Janek.[/quote]

Not so sure he's "our" Janek any more. I had a quick read of some of his posts on here (very interesting guy) and it seems he got pissed off with people taking potshots at him. He hasn't posted for quite a while.

[quote name='stevie' post='921901' date='Aug 11 2010, 07:30 PM']Not so sure he's "our" Janek any more. I had a quick read of some of his posts on here (very interesting guy) and it seems he got pissed off with people taking potshots at him. He hasn't posted for quite a while.[/quote]

You're not wrong, he got a right mawling every time he posted here, which I never did quite understand. I guess his comments rubbed a few people up the wrong way. It's a shame, he's a very talented bloke, and would be a great source of information on here, but instead he can be found on Talk Bass in the US.

[quote name='stevie' post='921901' date='Aug 11 2010, 07:30 PM']Not so sure he's "our" Janek any more. I had a quick read of some of his posts on here (very interesting guy) and it seems he got pissed off with people taking potshots at him. He hasn't posted for quite a while.[/quote]

It's fair enough really. He got a bashing that was totally uncalled for.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='922087' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:37 PM']And Janek is completely mad, i was with him for 2 hours and he is extremely opinionated and cockey. But the guys done really well for himself so i can only respect him.[/quote]

I wouldn't call him cocky-I think it's more the fact that he is very confident in his playing,but lets be honest about it, he has the knowledge
and the chops(and gigs) to back up what he says. He's always really cool with me.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='922075' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:27 AM']VV Brown got a load of airplay and publicity this time last year and did some of the Festivals but seems to have disappeared since then.[/quote]

Dissapppeared?

Bro, she's doing a major USA tour from the beginning to the end of this year.. Just look at Janek's schedule in Myspace..