Why become a member? ×

Vintage Franken-Fender Awesomeness!

wesfinn

Some of you may have seen the 61 P bass body I finished restoring a few weeks back in the Build thread section of the site. Well here it is in its new glory paired up with an original 69 Jazz neck to make a lovely franken-fender! This bass has completely blown me away sonically and I think it looks absolutely fantastic. The jazz neck has a really nice medium profile and is really fast. weighs in at just under 9lb.

so heres the specs

Restored 1961 P bass body with 1962 neck plate
Original 1969 block and bound jazz bass neck and tuners
70's Dimarzio P pickup
Vintage repro wiring harness and paper oil caps
Ultra thin nitro aged sonic blue finish

and heres some pix

Hugely impressed. It just looks so good.

I've been considering this sort of project and was going to ask on the forum if anyone had done this sort of thing and whether it was worth the effort. There are so many necks and bodies on ebay and I can't afford a genuine vintage fender, so maybe I will give it a go.
Thanks for the inspirtation.

Gary

It's a shame Fender never actually did a production run of Precisions with blocks and binding. I've got a few pictures of custom orders that came out of the factory in 66/67 and they just looked so great!

The Dimarzios are definitly a great pickup, I had a choice of this or a duncan and the Dimarzio won me over as soon as I put it in!

[quote name='Clarky' post='920593' date='Aug 10 2010, 12:58 PM']Great looking bass - nice work Wes! No spare spondoolies at present though (looking to raisemoney me'self from sales :) )[/quote]

Too late now anyway Clarky! :lol:

It arrived today and it really is the mutts nuts.
Fantastic sound, feels right as soon as you pick it up, and looks the business.
Had a quick go through my Barefaced T'vintage and SWR working pro 700 and I can't wait to get out and gig it, lovely vintage tone, but also enough trebly top if you need it to cut through, and with my band you need everything you can get!
Only problem is Mrs P has now taken it away, as she bought it for my birthday, and thats not till early Jan. DOH!

If any of you are after a good Vintage reproduction Wes is the man, the build quality and finish on this is fantastic, I really can't fault it.

Nice one Wes, thanks again :rolleyes:

thanks for the kind words Neil!

I'm so glad that you love it as much as I do! truley awesome bass, I got to rehearse with it before it went out with my country rock band and it really does cut through the perfect amount. especially against 2 very loud guitarists! play by the neck and you have that old school p bass thump, play just behind the pickup and it cuts through in an almost jazz like way.

cheers

Wes

hey that looks fab - out of interest did the jazz neck fit the pocket okay on the P bass body - I am tinkering with an old P bass body off an Ibanez Blazer and contemplating necks and like you have done quite fancied the jazz/P combination, but was wondering if the jazz neck is generally a god fit into a P pocket..

ta

Hi mate. there is a slightl gap either side of the neck due to the jazz being thinner in width but it;s nothing too drastic. the 68 - early 70;s ones tended to be a bit skinnier than the early 60;s in width too so if you have a 60;s spec neck you should have hardly any gap