Why become a member? ×

Hartke amp love

Rich

I had a nice Hartke playing experience back in 2005 at a festival in Thailand - and I'd really like to try out the HyDrive cabs at some point...

IME Hartke make great, solid gear that just works - sure it's no frills but with a decent bass in your hands and some Hartke gear behind you I'm a lot happier with that than many other amps/cabs - shame most rehearsal rooms and festivals favour either Trace or Ampeg - I'm not a fan of either :)

I have the LH500 which has the valve pre amp and i adore the clean tone it has. Also i owned the hydrive 410 which was amazing and delivered all my tones perfectly. I only sold it so i can buy the hx112 cab (when it comes out!) Iv played on a fair few rigs and i would only really sell up for a markbass rig.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a 2115 combo (200W head + 1x15) for about 15 years now, and really can't find too much fault with it, other than it not having an XLR DI-out built in, which I believe the later ones do/did. It did suffer from some poor quality control early on, which lead to a number of blown cones, but they were all covered under warranty and £20 to a local amp tech finally fixed the issue. It's been uber reliable ever since. :)

I do occasionally think about upgrading to an Ampeg rig, but can never really justify the extra cost over the improvement in tone. Volume wise, it's 140W into the 1x15 and 200W if you add an extension cab. It does loud, very, very nicely, thank you very much.

I use three different rigs depending on what gig. Markbass CMD 121H, Hartke vx3500 (4x10 combo) and for the louder venues Ashdown head and a Hartke VX810. Did like the fact that Larry Hartke was on the other end of a phone so you could ask about his products. He did question why I went for the combo and not separates, but theres was a huge discount at the shop. No problems with this equipment and I think the tone and price are fine.

[quote name='urb' post='915696' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:31 AM']I had a nice Hartke playing experience back in 2005 at a festival in Thailand - and I'd really like to try out the HyDrive cabs at some point...

IME Hartke make great, solid gear that just works - sure it's no frills but with a decent bass in your hands and some Hartke gear behind you I'm a lot happier with that than many other amps/cabs - shame most rehearsal rooms and festivals favour either Trace or Ampeg - I'm not a fan of either :)[/quote]

True, I'd be much happier in the rehearsal room with on of those..

My friend who I borrowed his gear all the time had the classic head with the 4x10.. lovely. The tube/solid state pre amp was awesome... you have to pay alot to get past that quality..

• 2 weeks later...

A dash of cold water...
I'd love to love Hartke, but mine's bust. Just after end of guarantee, of course, the mains transformer went short circuit (no apparent reason...). If anyone out there has a spare toroidal trannie for an HA3500, please PM, it's all I need to get it back up and running. Was good whilst it lasted, through an Ampeg 4x10. Just unlucky, maybe.
It's replacement, whilst waiting, is a newly acquired Hiwatt DR203 (yes, I know it's a PA amp...), but I'd like to get the Hartke up and running again. (Weight? Compare the HA3500 to the DR203; the Hartke is a feather in comparison...)

Shameless plug but i have some Hartke love [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99838"]HERE[/url] that i'm looking to trade - ideally for a smaller amp such as Markbass/Genz etc. Must admit though i'm a big fan of the Hartke stuff with my first 'proper' amp being the 3500. The LH's are superb in every way too. :)

I had a Hartke 410tp (which I have since passed on to CHRISDABASS) and it was awesome. Had it for 4 years and never had a single problem, as well as it being in mint condition when it eventually sold it! All of my students used to love the sound too.

As has been mentioned though, it was a little bit too big for me and I have since downsized to an Aggy GS112 which is incredible.

If Hartke made more compact gear, I would definately buy more for my teaching/recording space, as they are great for letting students use and all round reliable products :)

[quote name='skej21' post='946521' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:52 PM']I had a Hartke 410tp (which I have since passed on to CHRISDABASS) and it was awesome. Had it for 4 years and never had a single problem, as well as it being in mint condition when it eventually sold it! All of my students used to love the sound too.

As has been mentioned though, it was a little bit too big for me and I have since downsized to an Aggy GS112 which is incredible.

If Hartke made more compact gear, I would definately buy more for my teaching/recording space, as they are great for letting students use and all round reliable products :)[/quote]

They do! There's a GS112 sized HyDrive cabinet in the offing! - Though I'm not 100% on the release date. I'm looking forward to giving one a whirl.

[quote name='dood' post='946522' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:54 PM']They do! There's a GS112 sized HyDrive cabinet in the offing! - Though I'm not 100% on the release date. I'm looking forward to giving one a whirl.[/quote]

WOAAAAAH! I can see the perfect space in my teaching room for it :) Let me know when this comes out and I'm THERE!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='dood' post='915186' date='Aug 4 2010, 05:33 PM']Anyone want to fill in my post for me? You know what I'm gonna say!!!! :wub:

I adore the Hartke 4.5XL cabs. I used to run two with an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro. I now own the LH1000 with a pair of HyDrive 410's. Brilliant bits of kit - and I am expecting the rig to show up with me on Channel 4 in coming weeks! I'll keep you posted when it's due to happen.

My danveall.com pic!
[/quote]

Someone has stolen your headstock!!! :)

[quote name='skej21' post='946524' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:58 PM']WOAAAAAH! I can see the perfect space in my teaching room for it :) Let me know when this comes out and I'm THERE![/quote]

Here's the cheeky little chappy:

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2042&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...2&brandID=3[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='946635' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:29 PM']Here's the cheeky little chappy:

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2042&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...2&brandID=3[/url][/quote]

Is it sad that the weight (only 30lbs! 12lbs less than my aguilar!) excites me more than anything?

i have the LH500 head and the A100 1x15 combo

the head runs into my mesa/boogie 2x15 for big gigs, and i use the a100 amp out into my 2x10 for small gigs as it sounds better than the 1x15

so whilst being a fan of the amps, lots of bang for the buck, i am not really a fan of their aluminium speakers

that said..... i have yet to try the hydrive

Luuurrrrvvve my Hartke HA350.

It was bought on here. I play it through a Hartke VX210 ( bought on here) and an Ashdown MAG115 (bought on here) and its awesome. The DI output went awol in a biggish 200+ venue so I just played without and nobody even knew! ( Think the vocal mikes were helping a bit though :) )

Get a great Jean Paul sound on the Stranglers cover by winding the high pass up. All in all superb range and power to spare.
C