Why become a member? ×

Scratchplate colour and Sunburst..

jmstone

I am considering adding a custom made scratchplate to my Ibanez Roadster.. Always think it looks a little weird without one, and Phil Lynott had a mirrored one made for his RS900, which is basically the same bass.

If I decide to go down this somewhat questionable route, I then need to decide what colour to go for.. The bass is a 2 tone sunburst.. I'm not super-keen on sunburst and I would like to make it a bit more unusual... Any suggestions/pics of wild colour combinations with a sunburst bass would be very helpful in making up my mind. At the moment, my preference is probably for black... seems to look pretty stylish on other SB guitars I have seen.. and much more to my liking than white or tortoiseshell.. But if I could get away with something garish like green, orange, yellow, red, I think that would be much more interesting!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='877150' date='Jun 25 2010, 09:40 AM']Aged white pearloid. White pearl is usually too bright for me, but a nice creamy aged pearl looks classy on vintage colours including sunburst[/quote]

Defo.
Got a S/Burst P with aged white pearloid, think it looks gert lush.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='877355' date='Jun 25 2010, 01:23 PM']Defo.
Got a S/Burst P with aged white pearloid, think it looks gert lush.[/quote]
I`ve got tortoiseshell on my 3TS Precision, and think it looks nice and vintage.
Did have a 3TS Jazz, with black scratchplate, and that looked real good too.

The thing about tort is that some tort looks absolutely brilliant, but others look like puked up tinned tomatoes & scrambled eggs. I'm not so keen on the tort on my 1990 MIJ '62 RI Precision, but I'm wary of getting a replacement that's just as ugly. The tort one I got for my jazz is nice though. Black also looks good on sunburst - my fretless Precision (with unlined ebony fingerboard, TV logo & lollypop tuners) has a black one on at the moment.

• 2 months later...

I've just picked up a really cheap 2 tone sunburst Jazz with a white scratchplate.

I wanted to change the scratchplate to something different so I tried doing a little research and couldn't find any pictures of two tone sunburst fenders (Jazz, P, or guitars) with anything other than a white plate (and none with ashtrays either).

Does every other colour option (and the ashtrays) look hideous on two tone sunburst or what?

I saw plenty for the three tone sunburst by the way.