Why become a member? ×

Shuker custom P bass.

giblett123

Evening all,

after dithering forever I've taken the plunge & have commissioned Jon Shuker to build me a custom P (+J) bass, specs are:

4 string P bass, 34" scale, 21 frets, 38.5mm nut, maple laminated neck, black pinstripe veneers between, select birdseye f/board, headstock with flame maple veneer, two way truss rod, carbon fibre reinforcement, bone nut, simulated mother of pearl block inlays, White f/board binding, black side dots, hipshot ultralite tuners (elephant ears in chrome), Alder body finished in "Olympic white", gold anodised s/plate
Chrome hardware, chrome knobs, Gotoh Bridge, Bareknuckle custom wound pickups, John East "U-Retro deluxe (4 knob) circuit with Vol, treb & bass (cut & boost), Mid + sweep, bright switch, passive bypass & passive tone control.

Pics to follow when I get them!

PS have flogged most of my other gear so I have spent the proceeds & also ordered the jazz body on his stock page.

Spec will be:
Alder body finished in "shell pink" cellulose with aged white s/plate, quarter sawn rock maple neck with maple board + lacquer tinted to that vintage yellowy colour, bone nut, 21 frets, Gotoh bridge, Hipshot "ultralite" tuners, bareknuckle J pickups, East j- retro deluxe circuit with vol, blend, mid+sweep, treb/bass stack, passive tone/push pull passive bypass.

Edited by giblett123

• 8 months later...

[quote name='giblett123' post='1153486' date='Mar 8 2011, 10:20 AM']No news whatsoever, not a sausage![/quote]

That's a shame dude, Jon's communication can be pretty pants.
Try dropping him another email, however, if he doesn't get back to you by the following day, I'd just give him a ring...

Eude

• 3 months later...

[quote name='giblett123' post='1273412' date='Jun 18 2011, 05:50 AM']Doh!, missed the first anniversary![/quote]

Seriously!
That's crazy!
Have you been on contact about it?
Jon can be a bit crappy on email, but if you can get him on the phone it's always good.

Cheers,
Eude

I'm in the market for some sort of custom and would love to buy from a UK builder and Shuker's poor communication has completely put me off using them. I think if your gonna put a lot of money into a bass the least the builder can do is reply to your emails!

[quote name='lobematt' post='1276010' date='Jun 20 2011, 04:09 PM']I think if your gonna put a lot of money into a bass the least the builder can do is reply to your emails![/quote]

Wouldn't you rather he was in the workshop working on your guitar than typing away on a computer keyboard?

[quote name='lobematt' post='1276034' date='Jun 20 2011, 10:27 AM']I doubt very much he's working solidly 24 hours a day and it only takes a minute to email a customer.[/quote]

Not everyone is particularly tech-savvy or into communicating via email. Also, for those who don't spend a lot of time in front of a computer, it can take a lot longer than "a minute" to reply to an email. A phone call is generally much quicker and easier to respond to.

[quote name='mike_zimmerman' post='1276250' date='Jun 20 2011, 07:42 PM']Not everyone is particularly tech-savvy or into communicating via email. Also, for those who don't spend a lot of time in front of a computer, it can take a lot longer than "a minute" to reply to an email. A phone call is generally much quicker and easier to respond to.[/quote]

But by the sounds of it he hasn't had any of those either.

• 5 months later...

I'm waiting for my Shuker custom build as well. Paid a deposit of £530 so far last year September and haven't heard or seen anything yet. I asked specifically if he can send me pictures of the build process and he agreed but still not one picture so far. Not even sure if he's started building yet either so no idea where I am in the queue unfortunately.

But I agree, he's pretty bad at communicating via email but I guess email is not for everyone. Luckily my band is sort of on a break at the moment so I don't need the bass that much... yet!

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1322807263' post='1456042']
I get a reply to prob 1 in 6, every 2 months or so? I wouldn't so much if I had the odd piccie so I know somethings happening, its kind of a nerd thing I have, to see the build process etc, otherwise I'd probably have bombed down to bass direct and bought something v nice "off the peg".
[/quote]

Totally agree with the nerd thing here :) Jon replied to every single one of my emails earlier this year with me chasing him. It was agreed he would have the bass completed by the start of the year... but then it got pushed back to March... then July/August... around that time things with my band died down so I didn't chase Jon as much but still sent him a email or two in a space of 2 weeks apart but I haven't received a reply since then. A phone call to him will be my next plan of action in January perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...