Why become a member? ×

Shuker custom P bass.

giblett123

• 4 weeks later...

If I ever DO go down the luthier build route, I'll use my guitarists cousin Wez Venables.. as the guitarist assists him with the finishing its not to far to go to break some kneecaps!!

He has the first bass wez knocked out as a prototype, and he wont part with it though he lets me have a bash on it now and then. Headstock is a bit naff and it has "generic" hardware but the neck and body are gorgeous

Edited by Nibody

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1326843070' post='1502825']
This thread has really put me off going to Shuker...
[/quote]
Likewise. I have been saving for a long while, with the aim of getting a Shuker made. Having tried one at the last Moffat Bash, I was impressed with the build quality and sound. I wasn't after anything too exotic, a PJ with block & bound neck, but it was something that I could never seem to find off the shelf anywhere else, or if there was, it was nearly equivalent price-wise.

Now, I'm not so sure, and have been looking at other builders, or what I could get as a standard bass and modify to suit.

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1326903861' post='1503505']
Likewise. I have been saving for a long while, with the aim of getting a Shuker made. Having tried one at the last Moffat Bash, I was impressed with the build quality and sound. I wasn't after anything too exotic, a PJ with block & bound neck, but it was something that I could never seem to find off the shelf anywhere else, or if there was, it was nearly equivalent price-wise.

Now, I'm not so sure, and have been looking at other builders, or what I could get as a standard bass and modify to suit.
[/quote]

I have just found out about the Shuker build course... £950 for a 5 day course to build your bass, plus the cost of any hardware you put on it.. 5 days and you get what you want. I might do this actually and get some real hands-on input into my bass build! :)

My Shuker Horn is very very very nice, the build quality is up there with anything I've played, but I couldn't wait that amount of time for a bolt-on P/J build - I'd have gone to Warmoth for the bits, had my local luthier finish it off, and been playing it for more than a year! If I hadn't picked up a gorgeous Lakland birdseye neck recently which means I have to have the body custom-built, I 'd have done this already.

I guess I'm just too impatient... :unsure:

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1327325595' post='1509286']
There's stuff going up in the diaries that was listed (ordered??) way after mine and has arrived, guess mine are extra special, either that or I did something wrong in a previous life!
[/quote]

Might be some of the parts or number of layers of paint etc? Assume he's spending the extra time making it EVEN better :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331467233' post='1573134']
More chance of that than getting a bass I guess! :D Thinking of spending the cash on one of those little prometheans, I've been eyeing up those EAD 2x12's too, if only they had casters, I'm just too lazy to move anything over 18kg!
[/quote]

If you want an incredibly capable 1x10 combo, the Promthean is tough to beat, if you want the best 2x12 money can buy, don't look at anything else but an EAD, they really are that good, and if you need casters, Dave might be able to swing something for you, no harm in asking :)

Sorry you've still not got your basses mate, I think it's fair to say it's BEYOND beyond the joke now...

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331477668' post='1573348']
Yup but today I'm mellow, beer + rugby.... Have you tried the EAD 112? I like the idea of buying like this rather off the peg, they look great!
[/quote]

I haven't played through one unfortunately, but I imagine it'll be a similar vibe to it's bigger brother.
The 2x12, at least to my ear sounded like an Aggie GS 1x12, amazing depth, weight and clarity, but with substantial amounts of mid range, something the GS cabs lack at volume.
Basically, a MarkBass head through an EAD 2x12 is basically exactly the sound I have in my head.
I imagine the 1x12 will kick equal amounts of ass :)

Had a mate with a Shuker and it was stunning... but reading this i'd go nowhere near for a build.

Taking so long and poor communication would be bad enough but delaying AFTER all of that is even worse. He should be breaking his balls to keep you sweet, especially considering you're a repeat customer.

My worry would be if he's like that with you, how poor is his service for new customers?

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331486506' post='1573555']
I suppose the real problem for me is the overly ambitious build time, if your quoted a long time and it is, then its fair enough etc.
[/quote]

You're not the first to cite it as a major issue with Shuker though... Surely Jon could hire more help or take less work on? Or be more realistic in his quotes?

Well he is getting two basses built. If we're looking at between 1-11/2 years for a build, then it stands to reason that it should be 2-3 years before you see anything, right?

I mean, you dont put two microwave meals that take 2 minutes each in the microwave at the same time for 2 minutes. You put them both in for 4 minutes innit?

Either way, Im sorry it's taken so long but man, they are worth it!!

Truckstop

Ha ha!

Just got a mental image of Jon reading this thread, getting to my post and going "Great! The sod's given me more time!" before leaning back in his tallback chair, lighting his pipe and opening the paper.

I'm sure it won't be much longer mate, hang tough!

Truckstop

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331491297' post='1573696']
I'll survive, I'm celebrating a monumental England win with a large jar!
[/quote]

Was squeeky bum time for a bit though wasn't it?!... and I'm a Scot!

Eude

[size=4] Every time I see this thread come up, I wiz to the end to see the pictures of your new bass. Let Jon know this is affecting all of us now. Can you PM me with a picture when it arrives I can't take the suspense any longer[/size] :gas: