Why become a member? ×

Shuker custom P bass.

giblett123

I have recently ordered an Uberhorn model with Jon and upon reading this thread my experience thus far has been pretty good.

Dood sent Jon the spec I wanted and two weeks later the timbers, electronics and hardware has been confirmed and paid for and Jon is ready to build. The best way to get hold of Jon is by phone. Even when he hasn't been available to answer he has always called me back the same day.

I have seen the popularity of his instruments rise very steadily over the past few years and no doubt he is a busy lad. The build times will vary from customer to customer and from company to company. What would you consider a quick turnaround on a build? I have ordered two custom made basses in the past. My Warwick Dolphin took 10 months and my MTD 535 14 months. When I visited the Warwick factory they had 6 lads working in the custom shop (might be more now) and Mike Tobias only had two lads working with him at the time I ordered my bass. If Jon finishes my order between 12-18 months from now I would consider the turnaround lightening quick for a busy lone working luthier.

I am not defending Jon because I do think that giblett123 has been waiting a heck of a long time for his instruments. It does make me wonder why Jon hasn't taken on some help or outsourced some of his work during busy periods. His prices are ridiculously reasonable for the quality that he produces. If he hired an assistant expect his prices to go up and that could turn a few BC'ers off as Jon's prices is a significant pulling power.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331559085' post='1574719']
I am not defending Jon because I do think that giblett123 has been waiting a heck of a long time for his instruments. It does make me wonder why Jon hasn't taken on some help or outsourced some of his work during busy periods. His prices are ridiculously reasonable for the quality that he produces. If he hired an assistant expect his prices to go up and that could turn a few BC'ers off as Jon's prices is a significant pulling power.
[/quote]

Jon does have people in to assist him - it's not a solo enterprise. That said, one of the things I noted when I joined him in the workshop, is just how much individual, hands-on effort, even simple parts of the build can take. I saw Rob, Jon's assistant, spend a total of 3 days sanding the rear of a headstock.

And there are a lot of basses on the go, that would receive the same treatment. I mean, that level of detail and loving care is what you're paying for - it's what makes it a Shuker.

I think Jon could be better with his quotes, absolutely. But I think it's also useful to remind ourselves that this is a personal business - it's not a scale operation. And Jon is human - if he's ill, work stops; amongst any number of such issues. Those who've visited the workshop will be able to imagine the impact the poor weather may well have had!

I woud absolutely trust Jon with my money. I've had the pleasure of having a pint with him, and he's thoroughly decent - but I'd accept any foibles as part of the parcel.

Gib, get him on the phone. E-mails take a while, but he has his phone on all day - it's your best chance of getting directly through (though he does get a lot of calls, including a lot of fluff) and having a chat about how things are going.

Let me know how you get on.

I would definitely ring Jon, his phone is on all day, and you're much more likely to catch him. The workshop is an amazing place, and there are significant numbers of instruments on the go.

I love my Reidmar. I have a HD350 head too for larger gigs, but the Reidmar can hold it's own very well and sounds every bit as good. I could be here until the cows come home explaining how the Reidmar is like to live with, but I (along with quite a few BC'ers now) have posted our experiences over the past few months since it was launched on the following thread...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159447-ebs-reidmar/page__fromsearch__1"]EBS Reidmar 250[/url]

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1331741710' post='1578121']
!!! I'm all for task masters but 3 days to sand the back of a headstock? Maybe he was licking it smooth :P
[/quote]

Haha, I did raise an eyebrow, but it was a stunning custom job - about 7 different exotic woods in the neck. I mean, the level of detail and care being shown was stunning, when you had me at the next desk bodging my course bass together! :lol:

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331895390' post='1580485']
Not yet, will ring up later to find out the scores on the doors, luck dictates they will all land at once and my wife will spot that I've blown the holiday budget on on basses!
[/quote]

Good luck mate, for all the possible scenarios... ;)

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331895390' post='1580485']
... luck dictates they will all land at once and my wife will spot that I've blown the holiday budget on on basses!
[/quote]

:lol: I'm in a similar predicament with my missus. I paid Jon for my build last week and now we are going on a camping trip to W.Wales next week instead of Venice! She doesn’t like to fly anyway :P

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1331902321' post='1580637']
I've given up a jolly to lake Garda and a new hall carpet!
[/quote]

Sounds fair enough, carpets are for wimps and it's likely to be too hot around lake Garda anyway ;)

One solution to the wait time is to check with Jon to see what he's got on the go already. When I was after a Shuker Precision, he had half a dozen bodies in various colours already made. Luckily, there was a P bass body in the exact colour I wanted, so I just had to wait for a custom neck to be made for me (slim Jazz width, with binding and blocks on the rosewood board). From first emailing Jon to getting delivery of my bass was just under 6 weeks.

Granted, it'd be different if you wanted a completely bespoke body / neck / electronics, but if you're after something more 'standard', it's worth asking.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1332355758' post='1587274']
[b]tredders[/b], yours is definitely sweet. It has got me thinking, and I just bought an old ESP P bass to get back into 4 strings playing. And so may be tempted that way.
[/quote]

Cheers - its absolutely perfect for me :). Just trying to rustle up the money for a Shuker Jazz now...