Why become a member? ×

To hell with it – I’ve really had enough

Following on from my thread earlier on this year about the Hawkwind tribute band, who had another bass player which I wasn’t told about.
Anyway ,I decided to give bands one more try and joined a blues/ rock covers who played regularly in working mans clubs around the southeast. I spent 3 weeks learning about 60 songs only to be told on the day of the audition that their drummer had disappeared – turns out his coke habit took over and he severed all contact with everyone. So I waited a month until they got a replacement who turned out to be a good professional drummer that I enjoyed playing with. Two rehearsals in the new drummer cant rehearse anymore as his wife is seriously sick. So we take a break for a few weeks until we see what is happening with his wife. Now today I’ve had a phone call from the guitarist saying that he’s quit as he has just been sacked for crashing his work van and he needs to sort his life out.

I know its just bad luck and I really hope the drummers wife is OK and the guitarist gets something sorted out but I still feel pissed off that I put all that effort into something not to get any benefit from it – AGAIN !!

I’m beginning to think that I’m just destined not to do certain things :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='859659' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:09 AM']Two rehearsals in the new drummer cant rehearse anymore as his wife is seriously sick. So we take a break for a few weeks until we see what is happening with his wife. Now today I’ve had a phone call from the guitarist saying that he’s quit as he has just been sacked for crashing his work van and he needs to sort his life out.[/quote]

Bloody Hell! It's like Spinal Tap.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='859659' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:09 AM']I’m beginning to think that I’m just destined not to do certain things :)[/quote]

Nah, it's coincidence. There is no supernatural force at work here. Keep at it, matey! :rolleyes:

Keep the faith!

You now have 60 more songs in your kitbag than you had before.
That will come in handy if you go for a covers band again ..

Oh and maybe you need a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cat_bone"]black cat bone[/url] :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='859659' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:09 AM']I’m beginning to think that I’m just destined not to do certain things :)[/quote]

stick at it and things will come good eventually. Remember all good things come to those who wait and perseverance is always a good character trait.
The alternative is becoming another Les McQueen :rolleyes:

Just trying to play the "always look on the bright side of life" card:

You did get some benefit - you learned some new songs in quite a short space of time. This intensive workout will surely translate into better playing.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='859687' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:32 AM']stick at it and things will come good eventually. Remember all good things come to those who wait and perseverance is always a good character trait.
The alternative is becoming another Les McQueen :rolleyes:[/quote]

MB1. :)
"Its a sh*t Business! i'nt it...you'll find out!"...

Just stick at it. Something else will come up and - as others have said - you now have a much expanded repertoire, so its not been all bad

I endured a nutter drummer in my last band who at various points broke his hand very badly (practising martial arts on two would-be robbers in the Woolworths in which he worked, who turned out to be not robbers at all but quite handy in a fight), then as he finally recovered 3 months later decided to stage dive and missed everyone (I spent the evening with him in casualty) and eventually quit after our 'big gig' at the Underworld to be a teaching assistant. A year later after various rubbish potential replacements we killed the band and I started on the quest for what is now my current band.

So it ended up as a happy story. Don't know how the kids at our ex-drummer's school fared though :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='859687' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:32 AM']stick at it and things will come good eventually. Remember all good things come to those who wait and perseverance is always a good character trait.
The alternative is becoming another Les McQueen :)[/quote]

So perhaps I should try and form a Creme Brulee tribute band !

Can't help thinking that all your eggs are in this one basket and that you have been unlucky with the trials of others.
So..depending how keen you are...you could try and widen your circuit somewhat..and find people to play with either on open mics or just jamming situations.
This may well enable you to tick over plus meet more people and things may come of that.

I don't think you can expect stuff to come to you...you have to get out there in some sense so people know who you are, and also know you can do things and are available or open to offers or somesuch.

It's just one of those things - just be glad all the sh*t isn't happening to you.

I got together with some excellent musicians to form a band in September last year. It was the first time for a while & I was really looking forward to writing some original material & getting out playing it. We all played together really well from the offset & I thought it was going to be a long term thing.

Come January this year I had to leave due to my own health taking a sudden & unexpected turn for the worse, and my father & mother both becoming seriously ill too. I let some really decent people down & still feel really bad about it, but there was just nothing I could do about it.

You kind of said it yourself... it's a pile of bad luck but these are all genuine problems that people do have. At least you haven't been p*ssed around by self-centred idiots which is the usual problem (that'll be the next time). As others have said, put it all down to a good learning experience and look for something else.

Bad luck Alistair, but I certainly wouldn't write it off as a waste of time.

Echoing some of the comments above, you have now expanded your repertoire, widened your playing range, and had a reason to do loads of extra practice.

I've never heard you play (yet) but I'll bet you're a better and more marketable bass player now than you were a few months ago.

Definitely +1 to the open mic / jam session comment, too. It's an excellent way to meet other musicians and establish who can play to what standard. Most of the sessions I've been a regular at (Drayton Court, Red Lion, Coach & Horses, all in West London) have ended up spinning off a load of bands.

I've given up on the musicians' websites (Forming Bands, MusoFinder, etc.). They don't seem very effective if you're in London.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='859727' date='Jun 7 2010, 12:10 PM']So perhaps I should try and form a Creme Brulee tribute band ![/quote]
Get yourself down to the Globe Hackney.....an hour up the bar and youll be in at least 4 bands...lol :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='859678' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:24 AM']Keep the faith!

You now have 60 more songs in your kitbag than you had before.
That will come in handy if you go for a covers band again ..

Oh and maybe you need a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cat_bone"]black cat bone[/url] :)[/quote]

Man, that's got to be a lot cheaper than a Mojo hand....

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' post='860134' date='Jun 7 2010, 05:48 PM']Man, that's got to be a lot cheaper than a Mojo hand....[/quote]

Or a Jon Le Conquereroooo

I've got loads of black cat bones .. The cats are still using them though..

Edited by OldGit

Stick with it. You never know what's round the corner.

Some years ago I went through a dry band spell for longer than I can remember. I seemed to meet the wrong sort of people and bands. One band advertised for another bassist without telling me. I only found out by reading the add in the local paper. I phoned the singer and left a message. She phoned back when I was at work to leave a grovelling appology on my answer phone. Another band I tried to form had issues with the drummer so we found a young talented drummer and got rid of the old one. New drummer never showed up again and always had excuses not to come to rehersals. We found out he treats all bands the same. A pity as the singer / guitarist was excellent and I was really looking forward to gigging with him. Needles to say it all fell apart after that.

2 1/2 years ago I finally managed to join a band of like minded musos. We have gone from strength to strength, and I'm having fun.

Just to add

everyone I know networks and self-promotes to some degree and has to re-iterate these things from time to time.
Even if you have a whole host of contacts, then there is no harm in a call every now and then as a 'reminder'
that you are out there. Besides, these guys you should count as friends so there is no reason to let it slide and not call them anyway..
Maybe pass on a few dates if you happen to have them and can't use them..

It is true that there are some very proactive people who do all the booking and some that need to be booked-in
and it certainly helps if you control the show, but you should see the value of networking and contacts in this giuse, just as you would in everyday life and business.

The people who as less active in this regard work less.
Of course, you might only want 2 gigs a month or whatever, but you still need to get to a wider range of muso and let them know that you may be an option.

You may not want to work with everyone you meet and this is a nice choice to have but at least it is the right way round, IMV and IME.