Why become a member? ×

Anyone else gig or has gigged with a Peavey combo

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

When my Trace Elliot BLX-80 started playing up, I bought a Peavey TNT160 from a fellow BC'er .... and I love it to bits. It's surprisingly bright sounding for a single 15" driver and has plenty of body and drive. I'm seriously considering leaving the MKVI head and two 410TVX cabs at home for the next gig

Anyone else have a story to tell?

Years ago... but it was always underpowered and the sound was set to make it as loud as it could be..rather than a decent useable sound.

I watched a band last night and the bass was through a combo..and it was exactly the same..woeful and awful sounding.

I can't see why people put up with soudns like that.
If yours works for you, then fine but it would be a pretty quiet gig..and that is fine, if that is the way it goes.

So, no..wouldn't do that in a fit...

Some years ago I had a TNT150 with the Black Widow speaker. It served me well for sometime and was a great pub rock combo. I upgraded and got the bi-amped bright box for it which really lifted the sound, and got some some good comments. It was enough for the places I played at the time, and sounded great.

I have a young student who has a TNT combo, but with the cheaper (and nastier) Sheffield speaker. It's crap and the speaker feels like it's struggling even at low gigging volumes. I wouldn't touch it.

Get a decent Peavey combo and you'll be ok, maybe add an extension cab if you need to.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='JTUK' post='858420' date='Jun 5 2010, 07:36 PM']If yours works for you, then fine but it would be a pretty quiet gig..and that is fine, if that is the way it goes.[/quote]

I used to gig with a Laney B1 (supposedly 1500w) into 2 Marshall MBC410 cabinets which never seemed loud enough to me and, as I mentioned earlier now play through 2 Peavey 410TVX cabinets being driven by a 400w Peavey Mark VI head. I performed a quick A/B comparison yesterday in my back garden, much to the dismay of my neighbours and I wouldn't say the stack is much louder (if at all) than the TNT.
We recently played an outdoor charity gig where we were on the back of a flatbed trailer, playing through a 10k PA. As we were packing our gear away, another band were playing in the pagoda next to us. There was this huge bass sound filling the car park. I had to go and have a look ..... you guessed it .... the bassist was playing through a TNT, a 150.
By no stretch of the imagination would I describe these combos as quiet.

[quote name='mep' post='858507' date='Jun 5 2010, 10:24 PM']I have a young student who has a TNT combo, but with the cheaper (and nastier) Sheffield speaker. It's crap and the speaker feels like it's struggling even at low gigging volumes. I wouldn't touch it.

Get a decent Peavey combo and you'll be ok, maybe add an extension cab if you need to.[/quote]

Mine is the American made TNT with a Scorpion speaker .... plenty of balls and sounds great to my ears

Guest MoJo

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='858533' date='Jun 5 2010, 11:02 PM']I have only used Peavey combo's in various rehearsal rooms, and to be honest, they have all been rubbish. Its put me off ever buying any Peavey gear.[/quote]

Are they the newer Peavey's?

or the original TNT's?

Used to play at the open night in the Old Volunteer in Nottingham - the backline there was an old TNT - I plugged in one night via my MXR-80+ which had inadvertantly been left with the volume high, played a note & almost blew down the opposite wall of the pub! It was mightily loud. Turned back to sanity I also always loved the tone I could get from it. If I was young & fit, I'd seriously look at pickup up one of these for pub gigging.

G.

I played through one for most of the 80s and early 90s.

Always seemed plenty loud although most of the time I was into the PA.

I also used a Peavey databass 450. It's a tiny little cab but also loud.

It all seemed decent gigging gear to me but I admit that times have moved an a lot with gear since those days.

Frank.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='858536' date='Jun 5 2010, 11:07 PM']Are they the newer Peavey's?

[/quote]
I have one like this - sounds great to me, I've had plenty of compliments about my tone when using it and I've never had any problems getting enough volume out of it...the clip light tends to come on quite early though, but if you use your ears, it's not an issue.

I always run mine completely flat and clean, but find that it's plenty versatile and can cover lots of other tones when needed.

AFAIK, it has the Sheffield speaker aswell...based on the assumption that the 'S' in TNT115S stands for Sheffield - I've never found it to be nasty sounding in any way.

I like it so much that, despite having a Little Mark II and Warwick 411PRO as my main rig, I'd never want to part with it because it has served me so well!

I used a TNT combo for much of my early career and had no complaints about it,until I ended up in a band with 2 guitarists with Marshall stacks,when I traded it for a Peavey MK6 400w stack.The Black Widow speakers are far superior to the Sheffield ones,and as an aside I've used a lot of Peavey PA gear quite happily.Also the rehersal studio we've just started using has a ratty TNT combo which I'm using in preference to the MK 6..

My amp got fried at a gig a few years back and had another one the next day. Luckily there was a Peavey TNT combo collecting dust at the venue. I have to say, it may have been the venue room but it sounded fantastic and was loud enough to keep up with the rest of the band (there were 6 of us). Ive never wanted big cabs since

[quote name='TPJ' post='859993' date='Jun 7 2010, 03:34 PM']Used a TNT through the late 80's into the 90's and I have a Database still lying around somewhere.

The two I've used have always been reliable, the Database was bloody loud, both gave a decent tone.[/quote]

I used a Peavey Databases for years got loads of great comments about the sound, a sound that always worked in the context of any band.

I've had a TNT BW combo for ages. The bassist for creepjoint uses it with a behringer 2 x 10 extension, but I used it with a 2 x 12 guitar combo in the crossover output. On it's own it's not exactly "articulate" in the higher mids/highs but yeh, it's really f***ing loud.