Why become a member? ×

Anyone else gig or has gigged with a Peavey combo

Guest MoJo

I've used a Peavey Databass for the last 10-15 years. I got fed up wheeling my old Traynor stack around - which weighed a ton. The Peavey has never struggled for a bit of 'poke' in any situation. I don't think I've ever had the master volume above 5. If you're doing larger gigs, you'd DI anyway - in which case it's plenty loud enough for backline.

My guitarist mate even bought one off ebay for the odd occasions he stands in on bass, after hearing mine. My only slight complaint is the quality of the jack sockets. After so many gigs, they are about ready for replacement (and if anybody knows where to get some DECENT quality PCB-mounted sockets, I'm all ears!)

I've recently been using a GT-6B with some SVT emulation through it, which gives it a nice bit of 'valveyness'.

The absolute best thing about it though is the look on the other band members' faces is when I pop it into the boot of the car at the end of the night! Or when other bass players turn up and wonder where my bass rig is, only to have their kidneys nicely massaged by it. Yes, I'd like some Ampeg kit, but the Peavey is just so small, compact and pokey. It's definately a 'keeper'.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='858567' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:07 AM']I had a Peavey combo from the 80s through to 2005/6. I bought it secondhand for £50, did hundreds of gigs with it & eventually sold it for £120. You can't argue with that... the bloke I sold it to got an electric shock off it too![/quote]
Same here.
A TKO that has been through all sorts of ordeal.
And always coming through clean and sharp.
Like James Bond :)
I don't use it anymore but I could never sell it.

last year I had 2 combos, a marshall mb4210 for gigging and a peavey 115max for in the house.

The marshall had a decent sound although very underpowered for 300watts and due to the fact it was my second one due to the first one being faulty and then this one also went duff DURING a gig I then had no choice to go get my 50watt peavey from home.

I feel the peavey goes through the motions and gives you a BASS tone. Its not exciting and its not dynamic. Peavey are decent amps on a budget and will certainly do the job. Just to let you know the amp could just be heard in the mix with my band but really really weak due to it only being 50watts I guess. It really saved my bacon that night, however tone wise its average and as a backup amp its a no no.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='872396' date='Jun 20 2010, 08:23 AM']I feel the peavey goes through the motions and gives you a BASS tone. Its not exciting and its not dynamic. ..... tone wise its average[/quote]

One man's bland and unexciting is another man's canvas ..... I like that the Peavey doesn't colour my sound the way some amps do. It means I can drive the front end with different preamps to get different tones. The Peavey provides the meat, I provide the gravy.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='872416' date='Jun 20 2010, 09:35 AM']One man's bland and unexciting is another man's canvas ..... I like that the Peavey doesn't colour my sound the way some amps do. It means I can drive the front end with different preamps to get different tones. The Peavey provides the meat, I provide the gravy.[/quote]

why bother with peavey then??? sounds like any generic poweramp would do along with your gravy preamps!!!!!!

My first amp from Wants in Plymouth was a Peavey Mark 3 combo. Think it was dated 78, cost £80 and came with 3 months guarantee on everything except the speaker. Needless to say the speaker died pretty soon but on a tip off i took the magnet off and varnished the voice coil... hey presto it worked!

Frickin heavy, not loud enough for most of the gigs it played, and the parametric eq was harder than the GCSE's i was doing at the time, but hell it was the biggest bass amp at school and i liked the spikey logo!!!

Not a bad word to say about peavey really. That amp will probably out live me and make quite a few people happy along the way!

Rich

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='872426' date='Jun 20 2010, 10:04 AM']why bother with peavey then??? sounds like any generic poweramp would do along with your gravy preamps!!!!!![/quote]

They probably would, especially as I bypass the peavey's preamp and plug directly into the poweramp, and it is an option I've considered in the recent past but why bother when the peavey provides all I need in a neat, affordable and almost indestructible package?

My old tutor used to use a peavey combo for lessons, only when his rig was at home due to playing a gig the night before etc.

But it was really good, it was really old looking, but honestly worked great with his LP bass, and my J. I would buy an old one for home use

[quote name='bassman2790' post='872489' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:16 AM']They probably would, especially as I bypass the peavey's preamp and plug directly into the poweramp, and it is an option I've considered in the recent past but why bother when the peavey provides all I need in a neat, affordable and almost indestructible package?[/quote]

amen to that brother, reliability is a must,,,,if you have the poweramp that suits your needs plus also if need be using the preamp then your onto a winner.

I used a TNT 150 in my early days. Worked wonders with my EB Stingray and a pick (hadnt mastered the fingerstyle back then)

It went purely because I needed more onstage power and moved to a full Marshall Jubilee Stack, tonewise it was grand and never let me down.
The built in Chorous was a little naff but hey, it had a switch!!!

Great gig memories with that amp :)

C

[quote name='TPJ' post='859993' date='Jun 7 2010, 03:34 PM']The two I've used have always been reliable, the Database was bloody loud, both gave a decent tone.[/quote]

I'm still using a DataBass. Never needed to go above 3 on the master.

They do seem to have a reputation for eating speakers, which is what happened to me so I replaced it with a 500w 8ohm job for headroom. No bother since. Downward firing ports, so sometimes need to place it carefully onstage. Hates hollow stages, as you might imagine.

Insanely loud, not really very flexible EQ, weighs a ton. I don't need crisp Marcus top end anyway, but this definately couldn't provide it. Owes me nothing though.

I use mine flat, with a sansamp clone as front end.

For all its annoying foibles, I can't seem to make myself get shot of it. The annoying relative of the bass amp world...

I use a TNT (older style) for gigging and practice and I like it. But then I am easy to please as far as bass tone goes, ie if I can hear it, that's fine. The sound is pretty meaty if not exactly subtle. The wieght is a killer though, trying to manhandle that thing through narrow corridoors, doorways and staitcases is not easy at all. The single top-mounted handle doesn't help. Still, for £150 I can't complain, especially as it wasn't my £150.

My first amp was a TNT-100. What a thrill- I used to skip school (classes at a boarding school) just to practice along with 8-tracks of Led Zep and Tull. That was a great amp! I used to shake the duct-work in the building on weekends, playing the riff to "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult.

I played that amp to death after (not getting invited back to) leaving that school, and it was pretty danged loud for a 100-watt combo. It had a scorpion speaker I think- not a BW- which is what made it sound (I still think, as I've played one recently) so clear and nice. I hear my bass' sound- each bass has its own distinct personality represented through it. That's partly because of the lighter-duty speaker I think. The Scorpion's not a bass-specific driver, it's more 'open' sounding- lower power, and acts 'flatter'. Bad description, but that's my impression.

I saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions on Saturday Night Live years ago, and Bruce Thomas played through a TNT-100 sat atop a road case, with a mic on it. That, my friends, is rock n' roll. :)

Edited by Count Bassie

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='903581' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:22 PM']Anyone with the older model TKO, there's 2 1/4 jacks that say 'pre out' and power amp in' or similar. Does this mean I can use a DI straight in and bypass the amps EQ section?[/quote]
Try it and see. I've plugged an 18V active bass into a power amp in socket (it wasn't a Peavey) before and it worked fine, with just the master volume as the only working control. I guess the results you get will depend on the output of your bass though.

The Combo 300 is the best thing on the market, seriously.

and it just so happens someone is selling one right here... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95042&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95042&hl=[/url]

:)

on the subject though, I've gigged this many years ago and practiced it plenty. I cant say it gives any kind of amazing tone, but what it does give is volume and beef. edit: actually, scratch that, what I like about it is that it gets gain-y at a higher volume, reminds me of that kinda prong/fugazi kindof industrial crunch type sound. but yeah, it's not a pretty sound but I never want that.

Coupled with a pedal, I use a Big Muff, it gives a nice powerful sound. For players that like nice clean character/genre type sounds, maybe something with a bigger spend will supply, but if you ROCK and need volume which you hone into your own sound with a pedal or gadget of your choice, this is just fine.

It is heavy though, but then so would a large head and cab be anyway. I've replaced it with an Orange TB and a Compact, purely for ease of transport and storage. If the Combo 300 was smaller, I'd keep it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

[quote name='Musky' post='903761' date='Jul 24 2010, 08:33 AM']Try it and see. I've plugged an 18V active bass into a power amp in socket (it wasn't a Peavey) before and it worked fine, with just the master volume as the only working control. I guess the results you get will depend on the output of your bass though.[/quote]

Will do, just bought a Sansamp DI and I thought it might sound better than the onboard EQ as well as being a DI box.

[quote name='danbowskill' post='903800' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:49 AM']had a old tnt years ago,loved it nice punch,chorus was pointless to me.ahh memories :)[/quote]

Yeah, I couldn't find a usable sound for the chorus. Odd.