Why become a member? ×

It's a Shuker, but not as we know it.

MacDaddy

okay, so first the rationale. It's custom made for me, including the ergonomics, and it's gonna be everything I want in a bass, and I want my bass to:

be passive
be able to scream like the Attitude
have the bottom end and simplicity of a Precision
have the slim neck of a Jazz
have the drop D of the Kubicki
have the bend well of the King bass
have the ramp like the Gary Willis
have the monkey grip of the Jems

add some upper fret scalloping and bright pink LED's and we're away :)

next up the spec.

now Jon's job/problem is make all the above happen in something playable and up to the usual excellent Shuker quality. What we are working on is as follows.

4 string custom bass

34' scale
24 frets
38mm nut width
spare nut for when I restring to BEAD

maple laminated neck (black veneers between laminates)
two way truss rod
carbon fibre reinforcement
rosewood board (black composite) - the face of the neck has to be dark.
no face markers, but fret markers along the edge.
bright pink LED's positioned on the neck between the E and A strings.
- LED's to have OFF, ON and PULSE function, pulse from the bridge to the neck.
upper frets scalloped (Top 7 frets scalloped under the D and G strings.) like the Attitude bass.
kubicki style drop D on the E string, next to a bendwell for the other strings (like Kingbass)
zero frets
composite nuts
6 recessed neck bolts
dark purple finish (as near to black while still been purple) similar to the Warwick oil finish.

swamp ash body - normal Shuker body, but ergonomically contoured for me, even on neck heel for full access to upper frets.
monkey grip at a well balanced point.
Passive pick up.
custom pickup cover/ramp/thumbrest to match body, running from neck to bridge
single vol control
LED functions to be controlled by what looks like a tone control.
lower rear mounted jack socket. Placed so bass can be played sat down, and stood in a guitar stand, with cable still in.
straplocks
headless bridge unit
black hardware

QUOTE (MacDaddy @ Nov 24 2007, 04:06 PM)
34' scale

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='93860' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:02 PM']wow just imagine the piano-like tones you could get out of that monster, i can't imagine you'd be able to play very fast if you needed a very tall ladder just to play the 1st fret!!![/quote]

I've decided on 32'. It makes more sense as the Kubicki's and King Bass are both 32' - should make getting strings easier too :)

Thanks for all the positive comments, next up will be pics of the neck woods.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='94813' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:10 PM']QUOTE (MacDaddy @ Nov 24 2007, 04:06 PM)
34' scale

I've decided on 32'. It makes more sense as the Kubicki's and King Bass are both 32' - should make getting strings easier too :)

Thanks for all the positive comments, next up will be pics of the neck woods.[/quote]

Dude.. 34" and 32" ;o) I think you have been refering to a 34 foot and 32 foot scale above ... its ok, we're only jestin'

[quote name='dood' post='94830' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:36 PM']Dude.. 34" and 32" ;o) I think you have been refering to a 34 foot and 32 foot scale above ... its ok, we're only jestin'[/quote]

well I was going for the Spinal Tap reference, but no-one twigged - doh! :)

For the neck wood I'm going for paduak /wenge. I think it would look nice with the purple.
A quote from John [i]"Paduak is a bright orangey red when cut but it tones down to a darker red after afew months or so. Its a very stable wood and would give a very defined sound, probably add a bit to the midrange".[/i]

heres the pic of a wenge / paduak laminate. This one is a 7 piece off an elite but it gives you the idea, but imagine it the other way round, inverted.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='94813' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:10 PM']I've decided on 32'. It makes more sense as the Kubicki's and King Bass are both 32' - should make getting strings easier too :huh:

Thanks for all the positive comments, next up will be pics of the neck woods.[/quote]

no mate what i ment was that you said 34 foot. '=foot "=inch. Classic mistake that was very well outlined on "spinal tap" :)

edit: oh nevermind i see doods explained it already!

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='96761' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:57 PM']For no apparent reason I started to worry about strings. Jon said he can get some made if its a problem, but thinks clamping the strings will be better than using double ball, as getting hold of strings will be easier.[/quote]

As you'll need the longer E string for the Kubicki extended range D, right?

[quote name='MB1' post='96807' date='Nov 30 2007, 04:49 PM']MB1. :)

Anybody else building basses in the U.K at the moment? ....................[/quote]

"other bass builders are available"
[url="http://www.bunnybass.com/e-zine/directories/builders.shtml"]List of Luthiers[/url]

Edited by OldGit

mmm Good point! I guess that'll mean a 'long scale' string, of the 36" variety. I think there are a few companies around doing long scale. D'addario pro steels and Rotosound strings come in long scale varieties. I'd have to find out if Elites do too.. but I think they are actually a fairly long string anyway. If I remember I'll get a tape measure to them for ya! At least you don't have to worry about losing a bit with 'string through body' bridges.