Why become a member? ×

It's a Shuker, but not as we know it.

MacDaddy

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='153455' date='Mar 8 2008, 12:49 AM']I reckon a number of basses currently under construction are going to end up being 'birthed' simultaneously. :)[/quote]

Yes, I suspect Jon will be doing sections together, so they all go in and out of the spray booth at the same time. That would probably make sense as he won't have to keep cleaning the guns out which can be a bit of a job I think. Especially as it looks like he has a minimum of 6 basses on the go from BC customers alone!

Wow.. the excitement when they all turn up at the same time will surely be enough to bring BC to a standstill!!

[quote name='Johngh' post='153757' date='Mar 8 2008, 09:27 PM']Been up to Jon's today and seen loads of necks waiting to be paired with bodies. He had a gorgeous lefty 5er finished for some lucky bugger ![/quote]

yeah, I saw that too. Sweet!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='154422' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:17 AM']This sounds very cool - I like it when a custom bass is so truly customer specific! Look forward to following the progress.

Alex[/quote]

I've actually been quite restrained, for example I didn't go for the laser in the headstock that I originally wanted.
And as for the Gene Simmons-esque rocket launchers... maybe next time :)

Edited by MacDaddy

• 2 months later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='200585' date='May 16 2008, 05:25 PM']I wanted it more contoured than usual, and to be slightly bigger where my forearm sometimes rests on the body.[/quote]

Ah yes My one this shape has that too ... good idea. :)

[quote name='eude' post='200594' date='May 16 2008, 05:44 PM']Looking good mate!
How long do you reckon it'll take now?[/quote]
well it's already been 6 months, so I'm not expecting it to be a quick build.

[quote name='OldGit' post='200602' date='May 16 2008, 05:53 PM']Ah yes My one this shape has that too ... good idea. :)[/quote]

Couture bass!

• 2 months later...

Hi
I need a bit of advice. The original plan, was to have an all in one pup cover/ramp/thumb rest running from the bridge to the neck. Having played a few basses with ramps, I'm thinking slapping may be compromised?
Is this the case, or will it just mean an adjustment of technique? Otherwise it will mean having to reshape the pup cover/ramp/thumb rest by the neck, which may destroy the aesthetic :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='248026' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:54 PM']Hi
I need a bit of advice. The original plan, was to have an all in one pup cover/ramp/thumb rest running from the bridge to the neck. Having played a few basses with ramps, I'm thinking slapping may be compromised?
Is this the case, or will it just mean an adjustment of technique? Otherwise it will mean having to reshape the pup cover/ramp/thumb rest by the neck, which may destroy the aesthetic :)[/quote]

i dunno about the ramp, but in the last set of pics theres a pencil outline of a precision pickup. if thats gonna be that close to the neck its gonna be kind of hard to slap anyway. of course, you might be able to do it, all i'm saying is that it;d be a bit close for my liking, i know that i'd keep catching my fingers on the pup.

[quote name='charic' post='248541' date='Jul 26 2008, 05:44 PM']I thought Ibanez really cracked down on people duplicating the monkey grip...[/quote]

i doubt they'd be bothered about this. actually, they could be happy about it, really. if you think about it, people will see the monkey grip and like it, and go to ibanez since they're the only make that do them. if it was a cheap copy, though, people would go for the cheap copy and ibanez would lose out, thats' why they don't like companies copying it.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='248026' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:54 PM']Hi
Is this the case, or will it just mean an adjustment of technique? Otherwise it will mean having to reshape the pup cover/ramp/thumb rest by the neck, which may destroy the aesthetic :)[/quote]

Hey MacDaddy,
you could have the ramp kinda scalloped in where you needed to get your fingers in for popping.
So the wood would still be there, albeit thinner, kinda like the cut down on my fingerboard, the other way round, see here >>

If you did it that way, it'd still be a continuous piece of wood to the untrained eye...

I agree with lwtait though, given where that precision pickup is sketched you ain't gonna have much room anyway.

Hope this helps dude, when I get home, I can do you a proper drawing if it'll help to explain my idea a little clearer.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='249021' date='Jul 27 2008, 06:09 PM']Hey MacDaddy,
you could have the ramp kinda scalloped in where you needed to get your fingers in for popping.
So the wood would still be there, albeit thinner, kinda like the cut down on my fingerboard, the other way round, see here >>

If you did it that way, it'd still be a continuous piece of wood to the untrained eye...

I agree with lwtait though, given where that precision pickup is sketched you ain't gonna have much room anyway.

Hope this helps dude, when I get home, I can do you a proper drawing if it'll help to explain my idea a little clearer.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

I see what you mean, good idea, I'll have a word with Jon.

I think the the pup sketch is just there for a guide, I don't think that's it's final resting place.

• 2 months later...

only a gap of about 2 1/2 months :)

Right, here's the body front and back. As you know from my spec I want as purple as possible without actually being black, and Jon assures me that is the case in normal light.

the only other thing is that there will be 6 bolts in the neck joint.