Why become a member? ×

It's a Shuker, but not as we know it.

MacDaddy

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='471234' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:09 AM']Ah cool. I thought as much. The only potential problem with this is if an LED goes. I don't know what the steps to remedy that would be. Best not think about it - cross that bridge when you get to it... hopefully, you never will! I'm really interested to see this build - it sounds really cooooool!! Post pics as soon as you can!! 4 weeks?![/quote]

Yep pics will be up as soon as, but I don't want to get my hopes up. It's not like I've already marked the date on my calendar or anything :blush:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='471236' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:14 AM']Yep pics will be up as soon as, but I don't want to get my hopes up. It's not like I've already marked the date on my calendar or anything :blush:[/quote]

The waiting, the waiting... I know. It kills!

The all in one pup cover/ramp/thumb rest is going through a redesign. John sent me pics of a mock up, but I wanted it slightly longer to extend more towards the bridge.

I'm gonna have to come up with a name for this to save having to write [i]all in one pup cover/ramp/thumb rest[/i].

Any ideas? How about [i]the Mac[/i]?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='474744' date='Apr 29 2009, 04:13 AM']still a bit long, too many syllables.[/quote]

BigDaddy?

I know about the waiting thing with one-off stuff. My bass was all but finished but for the pickup - the first 5 string P PUP Jon's people had done. It took a few goes to resolve the problems (not sure what they were) so an extra 3 months or so just for that.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='474792' date='Apr 29 2009, 08:58 AM']BigDaddy?

I know about the waiting thing with one-off stuff. My bass was all but finished but for the pickup - the first 5 string P PUP Jon's people had done. It took a few goes to resolve the problems (not sure what they were) so an extra 3 months or so just for that.[/quote]

I know it's gonna be worth it in the end. I just wish the end would come a lot sooner!

So we've been discussing the [i]thumb chum[/i]. It is pretty much as wide as the gap between the bridge units and the end of the neck, at its 'highest/widest' point its about the same as the measurement across the P pickup. There's a bit of a scoop out at the front of it so I can get my fingers in. The whole shape will be curved and made more ergonomic when its sanded so it looks like its swelled up out of the bass

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='478649' date='May 3 2009, 11:14 PM']So we've been discussing the [i]thumb chum[/i]. It is pretty much as wide as the gap between the bridge units and the end of the neck, at its 'highest/widest' point its about the same as the measurement across the P pickup. There's a bit of a scoop out at the front of it so I can get my fingers in. The whole shape will be curved and made more ergonomic when its sanded so it looks like its swelled up out of the bass

[/quote]

Cool stuff... I reckon that could look quite cool... as well as being functional!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='478744' date='May 4 2009, 03:36 AM']Cool stuff... I reckon that could look quite cool... as well as being functional![/quote]
cheers.

Thanks. Yeah functional, cool, and a bit different.

BTW you're up late!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='479680' date='May 5 2009, 09:06 AM']Thats a bit of a bummer![/quote]
Another one due Friday :)

But, I've been discussing the thumbchum with Jon. As the top of it will be the thumb rest - so the right hand position can be anywhere from the bridge to the neck - I want to make sure it's not too high. Jon is going to keep it at pretty much equal to the top of the p pup. There's a slight curve to the top, you can see on the pic, but Jon said he might be able to reduce the width a little if needed.

I'm prepared to trust his judgement on what is comfortable, and I've told him I've got small hands :rolleyes:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='481141' date='May 6 2009, 04:40 PM']Another one due Friday :)

But, I've been discussing the thumbchum with Jon. As the top of it will be the thumb rest - so the right hand position can be anywhere from the bridge to the neck - I want to make sure it's not too high. Jon is going to keep it at pretty much equal to the top of the p pup. There's a slight curve to the top, you can see on the pic, but Jon said he might be able to reduce the width a little if needed.

I'm prepared to trust his judgement on what is comfortable, and I've told him I've got small hands :rolleyes:[/quote]

Aw man. That's no good. All work, work, work. It's OK though - it's not as this bass is providing you with a distraction. Imagine if it was in you arms reach...

Still intrigued about this thumbchum. I'm wondering how comfortable it will be or whether it will be something you adapt to. It's a good concept though, I shall give you that... and it's something different about everybody elses builds!

You know what they say about small hands?