Why become a member? ×

Just won this bargain Jazz!

rohan

[quote name='Muppet' post='93214' date='Nov 23 2007, 10:31 AM']I'd be interested to know whether the parts actually check out to be Fender and how it plays. A precision neck with block markers is highly unusual[/quote]

Particularly when he says this:

[quote]ideal for the fast playing bass player,the bass is just like the vintage jazz Geddy lee plays with rush[/quote]

You could make 3 Geddy Jazzes form a Precision neck. Not too sure about the "imported it from China" bit either - hope it's on the level, could be a lot of dosh for a pretty fake.

Jon.

[quote name='Muppet' post='93214' date='Nov 23 2007, 10:31 AM']I'd be interested to know whether the parts actually check out to be Fender and how it plays. A precision neck with block markers is highly unusual[/quote]

Indeed, unusual in ther extreme...... :)

[quote name='rohan' post='93130' date='Nov 23 2007, 02:19 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200174315533&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=010[/url][/quote]

Hummmmmmmmmm

I think I'd want some close up pics of the headstock before paying, if you can ....
The words "China" and "jazz bass" mostly mean replica these days .. nowt wrong with that, I have a fine SX Jazz Bass from China myself, but you can get them for a lot less than that ...

[quote name='colda' post='93328' date='Nov 23 2007, 02:07 PM']+273 - 'tis even more fishy than a kipper's c*nt :)

....hmmm, did I just cross the line into bad taste with that one? :huh:[/quote]

Yup

and anyway they have ovipositors

Edited by OldGit

I'm afraid I am certain its not going to be a fender or of fender quality.

I'd be inclined to agree with WOT - you should get out of the deal before its too late.

If something looks too good to be true it probably is. The knobs aren't the type used on fenders. Fenders aren't made in China, but the fact that the seller says he bought two suggests that it came off a production line there. There's too many question marks: the block markers/Precision neck thing, the Geddy/Precision thing, the dodgy (even from a distance) logo, the fibre case, what end and type is the truss rod adjuster? - I can't really tell from the crappy pics, but I don't see a half-moon cut out from the pickguard end and I don't see either a bullet or darker surround at the headstock end which could suggest squier-type construction. Its probably worth no more than about £100-£150ish

I'd be inclined agree with 'Foxen' and WOT, depending upon how far you've progressed: whilst I was based in Tianjin, I bought a 'Precision' bass from one of the better music shops there. It didn't have a Fender logo (...that's easy to add of course) .. but the build quality and playability was excellent; the thing is, it was the only one (of about eight) that was playable (although the shop owner kept telling me that they were 'all the same' .. well, to look at, from a distance they were!...). BQ is the major problem there - as I think it was initally in Japan, and later Korea. So, if it's a good example then it'll play fine. But - and I have no idea how they can do it, other than the generally LOW cost of living there - these were very cheap.. and I'm taking about <£50 !!

It does look a little suspicious.

I'm guessing they've gone out of their way to take pretty shoddy looking photo's in an attempt to disguise the origin's of the bass. Usually you'd expect a nice shot of the headstock including the 'Fender' logo. Here you have bad shots across the body, long shots and the back of the bass.

If you can get out!

Take a look around the for sale forums here.

Stu

yeah have to agree with the general concensus here - it looks a tad shady - the neck, the logo, the inlays, the knobs - doesn't smell right to me!

of course there are alot of sellers out there who aren't too clued up, so description of 'precision neck' for instance could just be a mistake, knobs etc can of course be easily changed, so theres really no telling. if it were me, before doing anything else i'd want to see some high res pics of the various bits for more details.

peace

c

I'm with the nay-sayers on this one. Get out of the deal somehow if you still can because I'd put good money on it that it is not a Fender jazz bass.

There's no binding on the neck at all and, unless there's a custom shop job I'm not aware of, the block inlays are always accompanied by white or black binding around the edge of the fingerboard. The control knobs are not typical Fender ones and I don't think Fender have or ever had a "Made in China" line, at least not with a Fender logo on them (some of the Squiers were made there I think). May just be a trick of the light, but the distance between the 17th and 18th frets looks wider than the one between the 16th and 17th frets.

I'd make an excuse, apologise profusely and maybe offer to cover the eBay fees, but I wouldn't send £260 for it. You could get a genuine Fender, Mexican at least maybe even MIJ, second hand for that kinda money, either from someone here or even on eBay.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='93393' date='Nov 23 2007, 04:18 PM']I'd make an excuse, apologise profusely and maybe offer to cover the eBay fees[/quote]

I disagree. If the guy's pulling a fast one don't pay him a penny. I would simply state that since winning the auction you have been advised by several people that the bass in question is unlikely to be a Fender. On the basis that he has advertised it as 'Fender' - not a 'Fender style' or similar - in more than one location on the listing, request the serial number to verify whether it is or is not what he says. When he can't give you one, simply tell him you are not interested and point out that his listing breaches ebay rules (and the law). If he gets stroppy, report him to ebay for fraud.

Likely he'll just relist it. I don't think he's a scammer, just a chancer who's bought some cheap basses and want to make a few quid - he won't risk negative feedback.

Good luck, and next time, show us what you plan to buy BEOFRE you buy it :)

Chris