Why become a member? ×

She's a star!

chris_b

After chatting to Happy Jack yesterday I was surprised to fine out that there are various Bass Chatters who own basses they haven’t told their wives about!
I told my wife the story this morning and mentioned something I’d been thinking about. The conversation went something like this:

“There’s this great bass at Bass Direct.”

“Why don’t you get it?”

“I don’t know if I can really justify a 6 string.”

“6 string? Get it then you’ll have the set!”

“There’s someone selling a 7 string bass on BC at the moment.”

“Walk before you run. Get the 6 string bass first!”

I used to play the old 'they all look the same when hidden in the case' game, but I've given it up as a bad job...

I'd 'promised' no more basses for 'a while' after receiving my Fender P as a wedding present in January. I'm doing pretty well so far, but spending time on BC can be pretty dangerous. There's been a few basses for sale on here in the last while that I'd trade body parts for - Toasted's AC 5 for one. I was sorely tempted by that 5 string Streamline the other day too.

I'm starting a new job in 3 weeks so might treat myself! After all, a Streamline is small, so it can't have cost THAT much...

Oddly my wife doesn't like me selling basses. Not quite sure why... A bit of an inconvenience that, as I'd rotate more than half my collection if given the option at the minute - Warwick, 55-01 and Bongo - love them and they're 3 blinding instruments, but I just don't have the need for so many basses. Between them the P, J and Shuker cover the same ground and each of them has sentimental attachment so aren't going anywhere while I'm still upright!

Edited by Bigwan

I'm teaching mine to play, on the basis that a joint hobby should be doubly encouraged! :)

It's never the money, always the permission which is the issue, I find.

There's still some talk of me having a custom build for my 30th, so I might need to curtail the buying prior.

[quote name='chris_b' post='847564' date='May 25 2010, 03:07 PM']“There’s this great bass at Bass Direct.”

“Why don’t you get it?”

“I don’t know if I can really justify a 6 string.”

“6 string? Get it then you’ll have the set!”

“There’s someone selling a 7 string bass on BC at the moment.”

“Walk before you run. Get the 6 string bass first!”[/quote]

You can always go to the 7 without having a 6 first :)

I'm lucky that I don't have to hide anything from my wife.

Thats a result, Chris! Nice to meet you last night, too. Mrs Clarky positively encourages me to buy basses (and doesn't get it when I sell) but I maintain thats only because of her feminine psychology which tells her that appearing generous to hubby will allow her to buy more shoes/handbags/clothes/jewellery etc :)

I've played the 'they look the same' game before with going from a Sunburst P to a Vintage Antique Red Sunburst Jazz, from a black Fender Jazz to a blue Darryl Jones.

I need to figure out of a Squier Precision Red --> 83 MusicMan Stingray. Hmm this might be hard :)

My missus is sharp as a razor blade and knows models and makes, I couldn't hide anything from her (not that I would want to of course :) )

Although she doesnt encourage me to keep buying and selling she does get caught up in the excitement of potential trades and when new guitars are arriving. The first thing she said to me this morning was "new bass day tomorrow" bless her.

I think my worst missed opportunity was the last time I was at Bass Direct. After talking to mark I was convinced about going back to 5 string and the missus agreed. I played a few basses but the one that caught my eye was a White Nordy 5 Jazz. I loved it but reluctantly put it back on the wall and just left with a bag. We hit the road and were almost home and she was all quiet in the car and after a while I said "whats wrong" she replied "oh nothing, I just thought we were going to get a new bass, we should have bought the Nordy" I replied "I can't afford it thought" she replied "we could have put it on my card" :rolleyes: gutted, opportunity missed.

I took my girlfriend with me when I went to buy "a cheap bass to use for gigs in seedy pubs" I was thinking Squier , Ibanez or Warwick Rockbass. After trying a few sub £300 basses, she pointed at an oil finish Corvette and says "do you like that one" "Yes", says I..."then get it" It was almost £700. No arguments from me, but I still need a cheap bass for seedy pub gigs!

Last night we were having a drink. My wife went up to use the loo. When she came back I showed her a bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330437398564&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

Ohh, that's nice. She said

That's good cos I just bought it when you were upstairs