stingrayfan

Henry "King Thumb" Thomas

This is my fave from rock school.

Also this.. My lovely Thunder II. Not Henry Thomas inspired at the time, but still cool enough to show off nowadays. 

IMG_20200417_130046.jpg

• Like 3

I was in Jr High School when I first became obsessed with music. This was during the early 80's. I was born and raised in northern California and followed the hard rock/heavy metal scene there--especially Y&T. I still love Y&T.  Back then, it was hard rock or nothing. . .  until I saw the Rock School episode on funk. I recorded it onto VHS and tried to pick up what that bass player was layin' down. 

I read in an earlier post that his first instrument was the cello. This does not surprise me. Can't you picture him playing a cello? The cellist is an assassin on that bass. 

On 11/06/2017 at 23:50, dms said:

this makes me feel very old, in 1989 essex county council ran a "rock school" weekend for young musicians, henry Thomas came and taught bass and deidre cartwright did the guitars, henry Thomas made all the bass players play a bit so he could assess us, he made some notes, I saw his notes later on and next to my name was "v.good" - that still makes me chuckle, then i got to play in deidre cartwrights band for the rest of the weekend, having been told I was "v.good" she handed me some sheet music, I pointed out I could not play a note, she said just jam on "g" and then go to "e" when I nod..... oh and I got to play henry's g & l bass, the first active high spec bass I had ever played at that time, it was amazing. in his way henry Thomas was probably as important as mark king in the early 80s to the british bass explosion

I've got a similar story.  Probably around 1987 ish, there was a week long JRSM Jazz Rock Studio Music course run at the Guildhall School of music "in association with Rockschool".  A bunch of us signed up and Henry was the bass teacher.

A room full of bassists, and the first thing he did was to ask each of us to play a bit.  A nervous chill went round the room, and someone volunteered to go first.  Well this "student" was a pretty awesome player, and I remember thinking "wow what's Henry going to be able to teach this guy?".  After the bloke finished his little bit, Henry asked him to play it again, and then delivered a fantastic improvised bass solo over the top of the guy's playing.  I was in heaven.

I don't remember how my own audition went, but I would probably have been in the middle of the pack.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any contact details for Henry? I have tried Facebook but not got any response. Email or phone would be cool. PM me if you can help. 

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:48, visog said:

Gary Moore was unhappy with the way his contribution was cut and used over several episodes. He thought he'd be featured in one episode. Christ! His rig had serious noise

I remember reading an interview with Gary Moore in a guitar mag, and Rockschool came up. He said some uncomplementary things about Deidre.

Maybe that explains it.

I had the Henry Thomas/Rock School bass VHS that my mum had bought me from Virgin Megastore the same day my parents bought me my first bass at the age of 10.

I loved that tape, tho I can't remember much of it now I do still remember some of the warm and basic finger exercises from it. This must've been back in '95. 

It's amazing the life long relationship you can have with an instrument and that tape definitely helped point me in the right direction. 

If anyone wants the Rockschool book - I am sure it would bring back memories for some - I am happy to supply for the cost of postage! 

16 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I remember reading an interview with Gary Moore in a guitar mag, and Rockschool came up. He said some uncomplementary things about Deidre.

Maybe that explains it.

I remember him having a go at a young Bonamassa in a magazine interview, saying he was too full on all the time! In fairness, GM could play quiet, delicate, intricate pieces - he just chose not to.

18 hours ago, mangotango said:

Deirdre Cartwright nowadays plays jazz guitar in the highly-rated Alison Rayner Quartet.

Saw them a couple of years back; excellent stuff!

• Like 1