Why become a member? ×

Can you still hear like a teenager?

KiOgon

I'm getting some anomalies too; some tones don't sound at all on first playing (using Windows Media Player) - play them again and I can hear them. Like richrips I'm also getting the effect that some higher frquency tones sound lower then lower frequency tones. Managed to hear 20K OK. 21K is very faint. 22K nothing at all. I've just turned 50.

Edited by Earbrass

A good lot of results coming in :rolleyes: it's time I 'fessed up' I honestly can't hear anything over the 8K :lol: so no wonder I'm playing bass.

I took a more thorough hearing test 'cos I was a bit worried by my dramatic drop in range & pleased to say I scored 81% - above average for my age (59&1/4) also pleased to say it doesn't seem to stop me enjoying listening to the same music I did 40+ years ago :) oh yeah - 1 or 2 new tunes as well :lol:

Cheers

I can hear the lot perfectly clearly; either my hearing system is truly exceptional or my kitchen stereo boosts treble frequencies MASSIVELY (or the test isn't really scientific - I'm sure those frequencies are lower than they should be).

On an amusing note, I played them using my normal media player which, on shuffle, afterwards immediately bought up Fall Out Boy's 'I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers', which I found slightly funny.

[quote name='theosd' post='834419' date='May 11 2010, 11:13 AM']I'm 23 and hear nothing at 17kHz too... And [u]for some reason now my ears won't stop ringing[/u] lol. I think I lose this game :)[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus[/url]

"Tinnitus (pronounced /tɪˈnaɪtəs/ or /ˈtɪnɪtəs/,[1] from the Latin word tinnītus meaning "ringing"[2]) is the perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound.

Tinnitus is not a disease; but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes that can include: ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, nose allergies that prevent (or induce) fluid drain and cause wax build-up. Tinnitus can also be caused by natural hearing impairment (as in aging), as a side-effect of some medications, and as a side-effect of genetic (congenital) hearing loss. However, the most common cause for tinnitus is [b]noise-induced hearing loss[/b]..."

Please visit an audiologist to determine the exact state of your hearing, and get some proper protection.

IMO competent hearing protection forms a more valuable investment than any electric bass.

(The relevant links in my signature have more hearing info.)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='834891' date='May 11 2010, 05:43 PM']20khz at aged 20 not bad I'm not as deaf as people seem to think.

[u]I'm always asking people yo repeat multiple times[/u], they must just be quiet people.[/quote]

This would be a reason to have your ears checked.

At your age adopting preventative measures would be prudent.

I wish I could hear something - anything, really! Right now I can't hear a flaming thing. Hearing in my left hear has been poor for the last 20 years, apparently because of some intravenous antibiotics I had aged 30. Currently I have an ear infection in my right ear and can hear nothing that side. Result - serious overall deafness. Doctors say the infection is getting better and that the "gunge" (Doctor's phrase, not mine) should eventually clear in the next 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I'm walking around in my own cotton-woolly world unable to hear normal conversation and finding it really difficult to play the bass. Seriously fed up too.

Sorry - just feeling a bit low today.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='835020' date='May 12 2010, 08:51 AM']I wish I could hear something - anything, really! Right now I can't hear a flaming thing. Hearing in my left hear has been poor for the last 20 years, apparently because of some intravenous antibiotics I had aged 30. Currently I have an ear infection in my right ear and can hear nothing that side. Result - serious overall deafness. Doctors say the infection is getting better and that the "gunge" (Doctor's phrase, not mine) should eventually clear in the next 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I'm walking around in my own cotton-woolly world unable to hear normal conversation and finding it really difficult to play the bass. Seriously fed up too.

Sorry - just feeling a bit low today.

Steve[/quote]
Hey Steve,
I hope it clears soon for you, that must be a horrible feeling, can't the doctor 'help' clear the gunge?
Best wishes,
John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='834901' date='May 11 2010, 11:49 PM']I can hear the lot perfectly clearly; either my hearing system is truly exceptional or my kitchen stereo boosts treble frequencies MASSIVELY (or the test isn't really scientific - I'm sure those frequencies are lower than they should be).[/quote]

It's not really anything to do with volume, after a certain frequency the sound can be as loud as you want but you won't hear a thing, although i think that if you have high frequency noise too loud for too long then it can still damage your hearing so in a way it's quite dangerous not being able to hear it. That is quite impressive though, what was it 24khz the top one or something?

[quote name='KiOgon' post='835082' date='May 12 2010, 09:53 AM']Hey Steve,
I hope it clears soon for you, that must be a horrible feeling, can't the doctor 'help' clear the gunge?
Best wishes,
John[/quote]

John,

Apparently not. He said I could try the head-over-water and menthol thing, although there's no proof that it helps at all, apparently. Band practice tonight, and I'm a bit concerned that my 1 good ear (which is only working 50%) is going to get a battering. I can't smell or taste anything either - it's a bit like sensory deprivation!.

Sorry, just feeling a bit low today.

Steve

Just about made out 16...
Although I might have been hearing the lovely tinitus I have in my right ear permanently (nothing to do with loud music, smashed the side of my head in when I was 19, haven't heard anything but the ring that side since)

But I'm 32, so I reckon for a guy who's never bothered with earplugs in 20 years of gigs I'm doing pretty damn well.