Why become a member? ×

Tab needed please

skampino

Apologies if this is the wrong place to put it but as there isn't a section for tab requests I didn't know where else would be best.
If anyone has/knows Gerry Rafferty's version: a copy of that played on the artiste's recording rather than an improvised bassline I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

[quote name='spinynorman' post='829491' date='May 6 2010, 12:12 PM']Did Rafferty do any songs other than Baker Street?[/quote]

You don't remember his classic "Tab needed please" - a heart-rending song about a guy having a hard time trying to score some acid?

[quote name='skampino' post='829901' date='May 6 2010, 06:37 PM']Thought as much....no-one has learned it :0([/quote]
I have had a go at it, often play along with it but couldn't find any bass tab for it. So there are parts of it I am not sure I have right, but most of it is simple. Have a listen to the Foo Fighters version, very very good! :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='829074' date='May 5 2010, 10:36 PM']Did he do a song called 'version'?

Sorry I couldn't resist, I'm a that sort of mood. :)[/quote]

Sorry to hijack,
Marvin, you got a mention on Eggheads last night.
Paranoid android. :rolleyes:

Bloke didn't know it. Pah.

Sorry, back to thread.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='829501' date='May 6 2010, 12:22 PM']You don't remember his classic "Tab needed please" - a heart-rending song about a guy having a hard time trying to score some acid?[/quote]
LMAO

I just wee'd a little.

My band's been covering this for the last little while, but the Foo Fighters version... In drop "D", the chorus needs open low D a few times, then slide on bottom string from 5th to 10th fret, descending bit slides from 10th to 7th to 5th fret. Verse "winding your way..." play your higher D open, then 2nd fret, then 5th fret. For the tricky sounding bit, play an open low D, then slide up the A string to 8th fret, then 5th fret on A string, then 7th fret on low D, then 5th fret low D. That's the basics, the rest is just variations.

I know, this looks like gibberish to me too. First time I've ever tabbed from memory :rolleyes:

EDIT: I evidently don't know my choruses from my verses :)

Edited by ronnus

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='829817' date='May 6 2010, 04:57 PM']Ark?

This remains one of my faves...

[/quote]
You could well be right. Shame I can't see the youtube link at work, but I expect it's good. I like the first track from the Stealers Wheel album as well (again, no idea what it's called.)

Not tab, but a decent excuse to learn the dots - [url="http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:_BjvYwkdBbsJ:www.dailysheetmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Baker%2520Street-Gerry%2520Rafferty-DailySheetMusic.pdf+%22gerry+rafferty%22+%22baker+street%22+%22sheet+music%22+filetype:pdf&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESidEcgBZjvxPUMYa4CVXSC5Jeaw59igvBP3X3uSFXu35dOH2BIhu4xj7ZGxHq7U0f5eCXQnYeutz89XIMU_fju_aeVWYgXHvbWUn7Ly3O6qBdxggExm1jCzPXMxHVcbXJofRast&sig=AHIEtbQSd2qMTafVs_dcAFLqu_imtHHDLQ"]clicky.[/url]

Edit: Actually, just looking at the whole thing it's clear that's not a complete transcription of what the bass player is doing - pretty much like every tab I've every seen. :)

Still, it's a start.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='832374' date='May 9 2010, 05:23 PM']Edit: Actually, just looking at the whole thing it's clear that's not a complete transcription of what the bass player is doing - pretty much like every tab I've every seen. :)

Still, it's a start.[/quote]

That's because it's a piano/vocal score. They pretty much always give a simplified version of the bassline.