Why become a member? ×

Comfort Strapp VS Mono GS1

Musicman20

So, Im going to get one of these.

Im swaying towards the Mono..the only thing that might put me off is that it has metal parts...and I have no idea if these are touching the instrument and will end up scratching it?!

I havent seen one in the flesh, so im not sure.

I heard about the confusing Comfort Strap/Comfort Strapp problem where one of them snapped on a few owners. Which one was it?!

Can anyone recommend one for me? Pleaseeee

Thanks

I own a proper Comfort Strapp. However many P's it has. I used it for one practice, and it went straight back in the box. It is comfy, sure, but it has this weird elastic quality which isn't good if you are an 'active' bass player, as it bounces around. Much prefer my thick, padded Levy's leather one - at least it stays where it is supposed to!

No experience with the Mono though. Hope that's a little use.

Hey Gareth, I didn't like the Mono - its made of (sort of) ballistic nylon and is quite stiff and rigid, even though its padded. I also agree about teh springiness of the Comfort Strapp. I also have ended up with a lovely think padded leather strap (think its about 3.5 inches wide) which is very comfy and IMHO cooler looking too

I have both - I started with the Comfort Strapp, but after hearing the odd storiy about the plastic snapping I decided to invest in a Mono when I got my ACG, It is definately less flexible, more solid, and none of the metal parts seem to pose a threat to the bass. If I was choosing between the two, I'd go with a Mono.

I've now owned both the CS and Mono strap and I'd go for the Mono due to the 'boing' factor of the CS. One point of note if you use strap locks; the Mono strap has very secure thick plastic terminating points on the strap and fitting 'some' strap locks onto these is tricky... not impossible but not as easy as some. That point is moot if you have regular pins in which case this very feature means that these ends are defo a positive.

Wide leather straps are available from loads of places Levy's etc. but you could also get your local leather-worker to make you one to your spec/length and you're supporting a tradesman/craftsman. For you (Newcastle) I believe there's a guy in Blackfriars, he made me a good strap years ago but to cut costs I had it just one fixed length, hence it only really worked with that particular bass that I had at the time.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='824562' date='May 1 2010, 08:15 AM']I've now owned both the CS and Mono strap and I'd go for the Mono due to the 'boing' factor of the CS. One point of note if you use strap locks; the Mono strap has very secure thick plastic terminating points on the strap and fitting 'some' strap locks onto these is tricky... not impossible but not as easy as some.[/quote]
+1 for all this, although oddly the Comfort Strapp was more comfortable for my old Ibanez BTB than the Mono was. Might be something to do with the distribution of weight due to the substantially different shape and size.

As for fitting strap locks on the Mono, I just snipped off the "corners" of the hole at each end of the strap. Dunlops on, job done.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='824507' date='May 1 2010, 12:24 AM']Thanks eveyone.

Where can I find a decent quality leather strap if I go down that route?

Any recommendations?[/quote]

I would recommend looking at one of these:
[url="http://www.italiastraps.com/guitar-straps-uk.html"]http://www.italiastraps.com/guitar-straps-uk.html[/url]

High quality 4" thick leather starp from the US. They cost $65 to $75 However they do have a 'buy one get onr free' deal and shipping to UK is just $6.99
There also available in 2.5" with and two length sizes
I ordered two and sold the other one, on here, to Owen.
He was impressed and placed another order with them and offered a Basschatter the chance to have the second one

The best I've had (I think I just talked myself into getting another one!)

Er... not Mono or Comfort, but may I refer you honourable gentlemen to an entry in another recent thread concerning comfy straps?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85640&st=20&gopid=824636&#entry824636"]Minotaur Strap[/url]

EDIT: Platypus, didn't you have one of these?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' post='824648' date='May 1 2010, 10:33 AM']Er... not Mono or Comfort, but may I refer you honourable gentlemen to an entry in another recent thread concerning comfy straps?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85640&st=20&gopid=824636&#entry824636"]Minotaur Strap[/url]

EDIT: Platypus, didn't you have one of these?[/quote]

Indeed I am using both a Minotaur and an Italia and can happily recommend either

These bad boys are super wide and very stable [url="http://www.slapring.com/en/shop/productinfo/slapstrap.php"]http://www.slapring.com/en/shop/productinfo/slapstrap.php[/url] I've got a Mono which I prefer over the Comfort Strap I used to own (too much like wearing a bungee, although this does disipate with use it seems) but still prefer the Slap Strap for the width when using my 'Rays. I do have a Slap spare and may also be looking to offload the Mono as it's not quite what I was hoping for (dark smoke suede).

[quote name='discreet' post='824725' date='May 1 2010, 12:10 PM']Do you think that's Gerald Reese's girlfriend? :brow:[/quote]

Yeah that website is a bit "garage calendar" and I hate it when they use bass paraphenalia to sell women :)

I've definitely found different basses balance better with different straps.

I used Comfort straps for a fair few years and really liked them but one recent bass never seemed to balance quite right so I dragged out an old Levy's strap I hadn't used for years & worked much better.

Then tried it on a different bass and the Comfort felt nicer!

Main reason I stopped using leather straps was that I found they tended to slide around a little and weren't as 'grippy' as the Comfort straps.

The 'bounciness' of the Comforts is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, I quite like they way this works and helps make them more comfortable :)

[quote name='discreet' post='824648' date='May 1 2010, 10:33 AM']Er... not Mono or Comfort, but may I refer you honourable gentlemen to an entry in another recent thread concerning comfy straps?

EDIT: Platypus, didn't you have one of these?[/quote]

Very impressed with the look of the Deluxe Black...

I hope this leather wont rub colour onto a white bass, will it?!

Probably just paranoid.

Ill have a good think. Leather + padding seems a bit better than the Mono.

I use a Neotech Mega strap with my Wal, which is quite heavy and can easily play a 2 hour set without any shoulder or back pain. Highly recommended. They're about £30.

If you want a slightly longer strap, get the guitar one - exactly the same but a bit longer.

[url="http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=12&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=5"]http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detai...p;CATEGORY_ID=5[/url]

D.

Musicman20, did you get sorted in the end? Reason I ask is that I have a spare Comfort Strapppppppppp that you could have a try of. If you like it, we can sort a price out. If not, just send it back, but at least you'll have an idea as to what they're like. I personally love 'em!

[quote name='tredders' post='826382' date='May 3 2010, 12:41 PM']Musicman20, did you get sorted in the end? Reason I ask is that I have a spare Comfort Strapppppppppp that you could have a try of. If you like it, we can sort a price out. If not, just send it back, but at least you'll have an idea as to what they're like. I personally love 'em![/quote]

Hi!

Wow thanks, ill be in touch....im half inbetween looking at what to get. Ill get back to you on that! Many thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='824507' date='May 1 2010, 12:24 AM']Thanks eveyone.

Where can I find a decent quality leather strap if I go down that route?

Any recommendations?[/quote]

Harvest Leather. Don't look anywhere else. I have their straps and gigbag and they're brilliant.

OK chaps, I approached a few of the leather strap makers, and their stock sizes are pretty damn 'low slung' for what Im after. All of my straps I use now go pretty low, but im looking for something for more precise playing....so fairly high up!

Im still a bit unsure if leather is what Im after. I tried one a few years back and found it rather odd compared to the normal Fender straps I use. So I need to check this out.

Warwickhunt, I may take you up on that offer to try the Mono seen as though you are fairly close. Id only need it a few days just to test it at home and id know straight away if its right for me.

Thanks for all the info guys.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='828011' date='May 4 2010, 11:01 PM']... im looking for something for more precise playing....so fairly high up!

Warwickhunt, I may take you up on that offer to try the Mono seen as though you are fairly close. Id only need it a few days just to test it at home and id know straight away if its right for me.[/quote]

Mine are reasonably short (not quite MK) so give me a shout if you are down the coast or if I'm up the Toon way I can drop one off. :)