Why become a member? ×

I've only got one bass!

Bilbo

Pending the sale of my Status (out on approval as I type), I will have only one electric bass, my Wal Custom Fretless 4-string, which I have had since April 1986 (24 years ago last Sunday - I still have the receipt).

I was a bit anxious because I thought 'what if it breaks' and then had a word with myself. 24 years without a single breakdown, without a single string snapping, half a dozen 9v batteries at most - damn it - I haven't even had to tune it!!! (Ok that's a lie but you get the point). I have 4 guitars and ONLY ONE BASS. Don't get me wrong, I am a bass player first and foremost and only have the guitars for recording/writing (jazz guitar, steel strung electro-acoustic, nylon strung electro-acoustic and an old acoustic with Nashville tuning). I am using a borrowed double bass and am working hard on getting the money together to buy one but, in a nutshell, basswise, the eggs are all in one basket.

No low B. No ERB. No 6,7, 8, 9 or 11 string. No effects. No single cutaway.

But what's really interesting is that I have no GAS for one. Hand me an Anthony Jackson Presentation 6 string and I will bite your hand off but I don't covet one and certainly won't be commissioning one this side of a lottery win (unlikely as I don't buy tickets).

Its just me and the music. It actually feels quite cathartic!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='820812' date='Apr 27 2010, 04:33 PM']Its just me and the music. It actually feels quite cathartic![/quote]

+1 - I've only got one bass as well. Toyed with the idea of a spare for gigs, but came to the same conclusion - I've never broken a string, passive bass so no batteries... more likely to have an amp go 'phut' on me. Still get GAS, though! But if I did get another, it would be a Precision again, so... why?

You can't fool us, technically you own 2 basses.

I have a few more but can actually confirm that for the first time in years that I am not gassing for any basses whatsoever.

Thinking of lighter weight cabs but apart from that nothing.........it feels great!

I used to be the same with my original Status for 16 years. Now I do a lot more varied music, so there are more basses. Yes, I could manage with one Status & a couple of Fenders, but I now have a bass for every situation I'll potentially find myself in. It's a nice comfortable place to be :)

For storage & carriage purposes, I wish I had the one bass & a 600w rig as tiny as the average mobile phone, though...

[quote name='Bilbo' post='820838' date='Apr 27 2010, 04:52 PM']Which bow did you go for, tnit?

(He says, hijacking his own thread for something more interesting :) )[/quote]

I'll tell you when I see it! It's arriving this evening, it could be either I don't know.

The geezer who sold me the bass has been keeping an eye out for a bow and he seems to think this one will be a good fit. We'll see.

Edit: French!

I'm not nailing my colours to the mast here, I don't want the German crowd ostracising me for this!

Edited by thisnameistaken

I don't really get GAS for basses.
I had one bass that I used for everything for over 20 years & only got rid of that because I couldn't get on with the skinny neck anymore. Now have one fretted & one fretless & that's it.
I love looking at different basses but I hardly ever think about buying one.

Same with bass amps. I'm happy with what I've got & have no desire whatsoever to spend loads of time trying out stuff for the sake of it.

I was terrible with guitars though - I used to buy & sell them all the time.

Strictly speaking I own 4; but two of those are autographed and thrashed and so just for show, and another's for sale, so really I've only got my Squier Silver series Jazz as a gigging bass. And I love it :)

Shall be simplifying my amp rig as well, hopefully changing the big cab and techy head I've got at the minute for a single 2x10 or 1x15 and an Ashdown ABM - simplicity is bliss!

The count is creeping up slowly, but I know what you mean. My old Wal was all I had or needed for around 20 years - and then I joined BC, but I've had that mutter elsewhere :)

Still only take one bass to a gig with my main band - partly for space reasons at a lot of them - but I shall be taking all three to the part time proggy gig

I only have two here, I have a few more gathering dust at my parents' house, but I asked my Dad to sell a couple a couple of years ago, so now I can't remember what I've got! (I don't have that many, but my memory can't cope with the time difference.)

At the moment I'm getting along swimmingly with a Japanese jazz (my first ever Fender) and an Aria 'leccy upright. GAS free as well. :)

I'm also down to two, and a couple of bangers too.

After years of Overwaters, Musicmans, Sadowskys etc etc I'm down to mainly an old early 90s MIJ Precision for almost everything and I've never been happier.

I would like to only have 1 bass at times!

I have 4 and there are 3 more on the tick list -

Something fretless
My Shuker (coming soon!)
Warwick Streamer Jazzman

oh and a nice Jazz..
and maybe a Ricky...
A Steinberg might be cool one day
I still want an 86' P
Probably a Jaguar Bass
and a 60's P
Could use a backup 57 RI CIJ
Of course I will need an upright as well

Oh God...........

Edited by throwoff

Hmm, I have 4 now (down from 6) but only use 2 in anger - the Sterling and the Eminence EUB. My Fender acoustic gets living room use but my poor old Bass Collection fretless is just gathering dust so I'm thinking of selling it.

I'd actually be very happy just to have the Sterling and the Eminence - they do everything I want. I've been electric bass GAS free ever since I bought the Sterling in 2000, I've had amp/cab gas up til I got my Markbass/BFM rig together about 2 years ago so now all I have is double bass GAS (and DB string GAS and possibly high end DB amp GAS....).

Tools for a job - Like Bilbo says the idea is to be a musician , not a collector of instruments.

I have 6 basses , all of which have a different use although that's a little thin and I could probably do all my current gigs with 4 . 3 if I were happier about taking my old Precision to some of the sh*t holes we play in.

Could I manage to do all my gigs with just one bass.......... of course , but I don't want to.

I am really envious of Bilbo and others who are completely happy with one bass and have no need for anything else.

I have to admit there was that rock star part of my brain that wanted a room filled with loads of guitars and basses but for the last few years I have just been trying to find one bass I am just extremely happy with. I dont really want 4 or 5 different basses, just one that will do most things and give me some options and feel right in my hands.

I have two basses at the moment and am 99% happy with my Overwater as my no.1. I also have a good Squier that my girlfriend bought me which I could never sell, but most of the time the Overwater is all I use. Its all about smaller, lighter and more powerful amps now so not GAS free yet.

[quote name='NJE' post='821593' date='Apr 28 2010, 10:11 AM']I am really envious of Bilbo and others who are completely happy with one bass and have no need for anything else.[/quote]

It's not envy with me , I'd be happy as a sandboy to use my 73P for everything I do. Trouble is I'm afraid of it being nicked or damaged , it doesn't fit the trib band image and it isn't fretless so my fears and the needs of my gigs mean I have more.

I suppose one day the long veils of white will come down - athritis , whatever , then it's sale time. The EpiEx goes day one. The Status and the Fretless Jazz soon after. I have a great love for the Blueflower P, and my lovely Shuker. but I doubt I'd want to see them gathering dust.

As a retired (even 'semi' retired) hobbyist I'd be content with the Ovation acoustic , the 73P and my memories.