Why become a member? ×

Rob Burns...ring a bell?

Kiwi

He's here in NZ in the same town as me. Radio New Zealand interviewed him recently and the result was broadcast today. Its well worth listening to if you like anecdotes from sessions and tours.

[i]Rob Burns has 28 years of experience as a session musician and composer. He has played with Dave Gilmour, Pete Townsend and Jon Lord and Ian Paice as well as composed TV soundtracks for Blackadder, Mr. Bean and Red Dwarf. Some of his former students play for bands and artists such as Basment Jaxx, K.T. Tunstall, Chaka Khan, Moby and Radiohead[/i]... so that includes our own Stuart Clayton, Dave Marks and (for those who know her) Svetlana Vasselieva

[url="http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/highlights/musical_chairs3"]http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/highlights/musical_chairs3[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='816939' date='Apr 24 2010, 07:45 AM']I also remember the name from 'Bassist'... wonder what happened to Gibson Keddie from said mag?[/quote]

I think he is the editor on one of the free music publications. Can't think of the name I'm afraid.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='816922' date='Apr 24 2010, 05:31 AM']He's here in NZ in the same town as me. Radio New Zealand interviewed him recently and the result was broadcast today. Its well worth listening to if you like anecdotes from sessions and tours.

[i]Rob Burns has 28 years of experience as a session musician and composer. He has played with Dave Gilmour, Pete Townsend and Jon Lord and Ian Paice as well as composed TV soundtracks for Blackadder, Mr. Bean and Red Dwarf. Some of his former students play for bands and artists such as Basment Jaxx, K.T. Tunstall, Chaka Khan, Moby and Radiohead[/i]... so that includes our own Stuart Clayton, Dave Marks and (for those who know her) Svetlana Vasselieva

[url="http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/highlights/musical_chairs3"]http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/highlights/musical_chairs3[/url][/quote]

Know him well, he was my teacher and mentor for many years, great player, person and all round good chap

[quote name='littleal' post='817868' date='Apr 25 2010, 10:16 AM']Very smooth player, i think he owns the very first 6 string wal too[/quote]
I've only seen him with a pair of Wal 5's although I think he may have mentioned the Wal 6 in an email. He's watching this thread though so with any luck, maybe he'll chip in at some point.

[quote name='foal30' post='817946' date='Apr 25 2010, 11:21 AM']many fine musicians relocate to Aotearoa we also have ... that guy from Frankie Goes to Hollywood[/quote]
That might be stretching the definition of fine musician a little. :)

Roland Gift from FYC had a property up in the Coromandel for a while. Joe Walsh settled in NZ for a year or so when he was gigging with Herbs. Youth came over in the late 90's to check out some ethnic sounds. And lets not forget Shania Twain owns a place just outside Queenstown (although given the impending divorce, I'm not sure how long that will remain so).

I also remember we had some UK session guitarist relocate to Chch in the early 90's and make a complete hash of opening his own recording studio there. I think his name was Billy...something, said he'd backed Boney M. All I remember was that was my first meeting with a real pro musician from the UK and he was a bit snotty. By contrast we had another session guitarist whose mother taught me in primary school, Mrs Rasmusson. Her hubby Hal had backed Heatwave at one point. They were both fantastic people. Shame she was only temping.

[quote name='gary mac' post='817245' date='Apr 24 2010, 03:32 PM']I think he is the editor on one of the free music publications. Can't think of the name I'm afraid.[/quote]

He edits the John Hornby Skewes Magazine called "Gear", I think. Full of ads and reviews for their products too!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='817956' date='Apr 25 2010, 11:35 AM']I've only seen him with a pair of Wal 5's although I think he may have mentioned the Wal 6 in an email. He's watching this thread though so with any luck, maybe he'll chip in at some point.

That might be stretching the definition of fine musician a little. :)

Roland Gift from FYC had a property up in the Coromandel for a while. Joe Walsh settled in NZ for a year or so when he was gigging with Herbs. Youth came over in the late 90's to check out some ethnic sounds. And lets not forget Shania Twain owns a place just outside Queenstown (although given the impending divorce, I'm not sure how long that will remain so).

I also remember we had some UK session guitarist relocate to Chch in the early 90's and make a complete hash of opening his own recording studio there. I think his name was Billy...something, said he'd backed Boney M. All I remember was that was my first meeting with a real pro musician from the UK and he was a bit snotty. By contrast we had another session guitarist whose mother taught me in primary school, Mrs Rasmusson. Her hubby Hal had backed Heatwave at one point. They were both fantastic people. Shame she was only temping.[/quote]

Hi All, Rob Burns here. Anyone who wants to email me can use [email protected]. Great that there's a forum like this.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
On 26/04/2010 at 02:45, WalMan said:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='818787' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:23 AM']Hi Rob and welcome http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/smile.png[/quote]
Indeed. I saw Rob at an MU workshop years ago and chatted at music shows after. Thoroughly nice bloke.

Me too in our wee town