Why become a member? ×

Help, i can't put my bass down!

Tee

I recently put flatwounds back on my Precision (D'Addario medium gauge Chromes, to be specific) and i'm not going back to that zingy, overtones sound of roundwounds any time soon. This is it! This is [i]the[/i] sound, IMO. Great in a band mix. As a consequence, i just can't stop playing my bass. I jammed along to the whole of the first Sabbath album the other night. :)

A P bass, flatwounds and a tube amp. A match made in heaven IMO. I know many will disagree, but there must be a few who are on my wave.

Funny innit, I had fairly dull sounding coated rounds because I love a dubby sound, but lately I've been playing with a pick, and put some DR Hi-Beams on last night, I'm also in heaven but with a wonderful piano like tone with plenty of zing. Funny innit.

I've just (25 minutes ago) put chromes on my fretless after years of playing with DR red devils and I must say I'm really liking the change. For whatever reason I've also been able to drop the action a fair bit with no buzz.

[quote name='Marvin' post='800274' date='Apr 8 2010, 09:49 PM']Show off. :rolleyes: :)[/quote]
Fair comment, I probably should thin the herd! Not in a hurry though

Back on topic, I did go through a phase of preferring Chromes but have come to the conclusion that I am happier with the lower tension of TIs. Just bought a set of Pyramid Golds on BC so will be interested to see how they compare.

[quote name='Clarky' post='800281' date='Apr 8 2010, 09:55 PM']Fair comment, I probably should thin the herd! Not in a hurry though[/quote]

No, not a fair comment, just one made with my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek. No offence intended mate :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='800376' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:24 PM']No, not a fair comment, just one made with my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek. No offence intended mate :)[/quote]
None taken, three fretted Ps (plus a f/l) is an indulgence. I have my 72P and my beat up punk 70RI "Sid" for the grimier gigs. Just bought a 51 reissue off thebeat as I really like the deep tone of these basses but one of Sid or the 51RI will end up going as I don't need two cheap(er) backups.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='800386' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:35 PM']Gotta love a P-bass with flats[/quote]

I tried it but I really don't like it. Nice feeling to them but they just sounded like they needed changing all the time to me.
Horses for courses and all that.

Ok its got me thinking! I only tried flats once - many years ago - and thought they felt too weird and sound a bit dull. They had to go.

But now I have a stingray - and I think I might need to calm it down a bit, so its not too agressive in combination with my style...I normally play alt rock with a pick.

Are flats the way to go?

Yeah I know I should go and try some - but I'm too cheap for that without some second opinions first :)

[quote name='BluRay' post='800678' date='Apr 9 2010, 11:02 AM']Ok its got me thinking! I only tried flats once - many years ago - and thought they felt too weird and sound a bit dull. They had to go.

But now I have a stingray - and I think I might need to calm it down a bit, so its not too agressive in combination with my style...I normally play alt rock with a pick.

Are flats the way to go?

Yeah I know I should go and try some - but I'm too cheap for that without some second opinions first :)[/quote]

There are a few vids on YT with a Stingray/flatwounds. Have a listen perhaps.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flatwounds+stingray&aq=f"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...ingray&aq=f[/url]

[quote name='Tee' post='800696' date='Apr 9 2010, 11:29 AM']There are a few vids on YT with a Stingray/flatwounds. Have a listen perhaps.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flatwounds+stingray&aq=f"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...ingray&aq=f[/url][/quote]

Thanks for that. I was hoping that they'd all sound rubbish, so I could forget about it. As it is I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and try some out!

[quote name='BluRay' post='800709' date='Apr 9 2010, 11:47 AM']Thanks for that. I was hoping that they'd all sound rubbish, so I could forget about it. As it is I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and try some out![/quote]
Ah, another one bites the dust. :)