Why become a member? ×

wow rickenbacker

bassbarber

Try before you buy, guys.

I love the look of the Ricky, and I've had a couple. They both had to go ... I found them heavy and uncomfortable, and I didn't like the string spacing (despite being into vintage Hofners, which have a very similar spacing).

Don't get me wrong, they're GREAT basses and I still love them. I just don't enjoy playing them.

My mate's 4003 is sitting right here. It is black with white binding and pickguard, like Geddy's, and it looks GORGEOUS! He bought it new a few years ago. He really looks after it too, mint, kept in its case when not in use.

BUT, it plays like a dog. This is the funny thing, he took it in to Charlie Chandlers Guitar Inexperience in Hampton Wick recently. He asked for, and I quote from the CC GE receipt here, "Lower action for optimum playing, particularly hi at the nut.". Well, he got it back and he's not very happy. Action on the E at the 12th is 5mm, they recut the nut I believe, but did not lower the top of it, so the strings are now sitting in very deep trenches. When one plays it, the G string keeps falling off the fingerboard. The neck seems to have too much relief. I can't believe that's the best they could do, but I won't be touching it, fiddly things, Rics, especially the truss rods. I've told him to take it back and tell them to sort it out. £50 + strings. w***ers.

Anyway, I kinda wanted a Ric and A/Bed it with my Warwick Corvette $$. The Ric couldn't come close to competing. It was dull and weedy with not enough snap and growl. I was really disappointed. Looks GORGEOUS though.

[quote name='bassbarber' post='799899' date='Apr 8 2010, 03:51 PM']went to dawsons music in manchester on monday, and saw a ricken backer for the first time. omg they are amazing! dint reli like the look from the pics on the net but when its infront of you............. wooooow! i need one![/quote]
Did you play it?

I would have a more enjoyable experience playing the cables on the Severn Bridge than I would playing my mate's 4003.

The real Ricks I've played have been a mixed bag, I got lucky with my CMI copy as it has an incredible sound and is my number 1 bass now following a good set up.

I just think they are simply not for everyone. While my copy has become my number one I must confess it is probabaly the hardest bass to play of all of mine. I don't mind that though, in the same way I never minded strats with heavy strings and high actions in my guitar days. I always feel like you have to work with an instrument rather than pick the thing that feels the most "snug".

Try before you buy of course, as tastes are different and as you can read here not everyone gets on with a Rickenbacker. However in contrast to the naysayers here, my Rickenbacker experiences are completely positive. I have six, all properly setup by me and they all play great.

I think 4001/3's vary wildly (not unlike many other manufacturer's basses). I used to have a 1981 4003 (or was it a 4001?) which had a very Precision type chunky neck, very low action and played really well. It was my go-to bass and I sold it just because I wanted to raise some funds (it was my most valuable bass). I later owned a very attractive mapleglo with black trimmings 4003 (which I sold on to Old Horse Murphy and he subsequently sold on) which I didn't get on so well with as it had a very skinny Jazz-type neck profile. I am sure other BC'ers would have thought the exact opposite of me on these two basses though - horses for courses!

That particular Ric is a winner -I know because i took it out of the box and lost an hour.

I'm shocked it's still on the wall, but i asked the web guys to leave it off the site, as i think this deserves to be collected in person.

I own a BlueBurst 4003, and have never struggled with lowering/raising fiddling with the action.
And i've restrung about 10 in my time setting them up for Flats/Heavy Gauge Stainless Steels etc, i lent my mate Jimmy my 4003BB and he went out and found a used Fireglo through Gumtree (for under £800!!!!) and it played like dog turd. A bit of Trav magic and it now plays really well - He want's a Toaster and a Horseshoe for his - bloody Macca Fan .

If Chandlers are charging £50 plus strings, then they are rip-off merchants; particularly if they're doing a crap job.

They really are a special thing - I understand how people may not get on with them, but i'm being burried with mine.

Yeap, think mine will be in my flat bottom boat with me as well!! :)

Think the truth is with Ric's, they do feel strange after playing Fendery type stuff, and mine certainly sounds better through valve amps, and big cabs. I love mine to bits....skinny neck, super low, super light action, and through my SVT it's a tone monster... :wub:

I can fully understand why some people don't like them though. If you prefer a bass with a neck like a cricket bat, then a Ric ain't for you! :rolleyes:

I've had my 4003 for 5 years. I have bought many other basses (GAS) since, Jazz, Tobias , Thunderbird, Overwater, Explorer but I still keep going back to it. It just feels right, let alone the tone I get from it. GK Fusion 550 head & 4x10 cabs. Rotosound rounds. The only bass that comes near is my Chris Squire LTD edition RIC, more GAS. They are not hard to adjust if you are patient and follow the correct method of adjusting the rods.

Rics are like the better Precisions, they sound better in the mix than soloed. Like Precisions, they're not always easy to judge unless you're playing live with a band. My Ric sounded terrible in the living room, and awesome on stage. There's a reason they're so popular.

Overpriced and underspecified for sure, but great basses all the same.

C

PS In response to a comment above, neck widths on Rics vary hugely

Yummy :wub:

The necks on them can vary a bit. mine is a 1980 4001, and it really does have a very skinny neck. I would describe it as being more rounded than a Fender neck, and feels tiny compared to a Stingray neck. The strings are also very close to the edge of the board, so you need to be accurate. The string spacing is pretty much the same all the way from the nut, to the bridge.

Mine really starts singing when playing chords, and getting up the dusty end. I always think with Ric's you need to try them out for a decent amount of time, before making a decision.

I will hold my hand up to being biased towards Rickenbacker's though. I much prefer Ric's, and Gibson's to Fender, but that's just me. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='800039' date='Apr 8 2010, 06:01 PM']Try before you buy, guys.

I love the look of the Ricky, and I've had a couple. They both had to go ... I found them heavy and uncomfortable, and I didn't like the string spacing (despite being into vintage Hofners, which have a very similar spacing).

Don't get me wrong, they're GREAT basses and I still love them. I just don't enjoy playing them.[/quote]

That one in Dawson's is light as a feather, nearly as light as my old '72. Great bass. Some are very heavy, some are very light, some balance perfectly, some don't, etc etc.

[quote name='silddx' post='800062' date='Apr 8 2010, 06:42 PM']Did you play it?

I would have a more enjoyable experience playing the cables on the Severn Bridge than I would playing my mate's 4003.[/quote]

Funny, I had the same experience playing a Warwick $$. :)

[quote name='retroman' post='800499' date='Apr 9 2010, 07:41 AM']Yummy :wub:

Mine really starts singing when playing chords, and getting up the dusty end.[/quote]

That's why I play them. I haven't found anything else that sings out in anything like the same manner as you go up the neck, and for me they have the most musical and yet powerful chord sound. I've recently gone back full time to my '72 4001 and it really is my favourite bass that I've ever played by a mile (and I've played an awful lot). Certainly wouldn't be for everyone though; I know people who've played it who haven't liked it at all, which of course matters not one jot to me.

Edited by 4000

I absolutely adore my Ric 4001. It suits the music I play mostly (DP, Zep etc) tremendously. Wouldnt consider getting rid of it ever... although I must say after playing it for 9 years, picking up my USA Precision last year has opened my eyes to the beauty of a nice easy to play Fender as well :)

I brought a Ric last year, always wanted one

It has made me understand just how comfortable and used to the fender style body i am, and also how much i love them

But having said that, my Ric is really fantastic, but has taken sometime to get used to it as it is feels and plays so different to anything I am used to, certainly as some say a marmite bass, and I love and sometimes crave marmite, just not everyday

Next gig I get where there is some separation from the crowd and band set up, I will gig it again only for the second time, its in to perfect condition to risk it in a situation where the drunk dancers are on top of you

I bought a 2010 Jetglo 4003 about 3 months ago & i have to say that i adore it.Before the Ric,i was playing a Squier VM which as you know has a very slim neck & suited me just fine as i have small hands (big feet).The Ric's neck is approx 5mm wider at the nut,but i've had no problem adjusting to it at all.Mine happens to be light as a feather.The tone is something else too,growly & punchy which is perfect for what we play (Space Rock & Punk).However,they're not for everyone,but then what bass is?!! Rickenbackers seem to raise the blood pressure in people wether you love them or hate them.
My best advice would be to try one out first.Spend a good hour with it.Play it sat down,standing up,upside down,inside out,...you get my drift.Never trust someone elses opinion as instruments are very personal & individual creatures...make your own mind up....If you like it,buy it...if you hate it,don't.....Simples!!

Edited by Potaton

I love the Rickenbacker 4001 / 4003 basses, and have done since I first saw and played one back in 1988 / 1989. Like Happy Jack I went from my '64 Hofner Violin bass to my '92 Ric 4003 & have never looked back.
I have seen the Ric's at Dawsons & would love to get another I just have to convince my girlfriend that £174 deposit,and £174 for 10 months is ok.