Why become a member? ×

What Ashdown gear is made where?

AttitudeCastle

Hey All,

Massive Ashdown explosion in my head, not overly sure why

really loving the sounds, never properly used one but should do next weekend or there about!

Just curious what Ashdown gear is made where?

Its all British owned so all good there (? as far as i'm aware?)

thanks guys!
=)

Adam,

P.S

what are you all using?
I liked the Ampeg beefy tone but wanted more bite and [s]Britishness[/s] clarity/sharpness in the notes than the ampeg stuff i've used

[Looking for lower wattage cheaper stuff wandering what Ashdowns come from where] <--- Post in a Nutshell

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='781091' date='Mar 20 2010, 07:41 PM']Thanks! thats as much as i thought...[/quote]

My old Electric Blue 12-150 is UK made. For a cheap amp it's IMO as good as you can get and has taken serious abuse without once complaining. The newer ones are Far East-made and I believe reliability has been more of a problem.

Plenty of manufactures do the old 'designed in blah blah' bit on their amps, Peavey and Hartke to name a couple.
Can be very misleading, so always check the back panel small print.

Sure I saw some Ashdown s recently that were made in the US?

older abm gear was uk made,i have an 06 abm evo11 head which is uk made.i had a 07 abm 4x10 cab which was made in the prc,so inbetween then is when they shipped production to the prc.the mag range was shipped a bit earlier i believe.what ashdown call their classic range was all uk made but now some of it is made in the usa and shipped back here.think some of their new all valve heads are made here,all a bit confusing really!still ive used ashdown for 3 years without a problem,whether uk made or in the prc :).

Ashdown stuff I've bought in last 12 months has all been prc. Its been aboslutely fine. The Mags and ABM are quite different beasties. The mag range is excellent balance of quality and value. But if you've got the extra dosh, abm all the way :-)

Doesn't matter where it was made as long as it makes the sounds you want and doesn't fall apart. Made in China/Taiwan/Thaliand/Korea/HK etc doesn't mean it'll fall apart quicker than anything "Made in the UK" - think British Leyland :)

I use a "Made in China" bass amp with a "Made in the UK" cab and all is lovely in the world.

[quote name='Merton' post='781984' date='Mar 21 2010, 07:37 PM']Doesn't matter where it was made as long as it makes the sounds you want and doesn't fall apart. Made in China/Taiwan/Thaliand/Korea/HK etc doesn't mean it'll fall apart quicker than anything "Made in the UK" - think British Leyland :)

I use a "Made in China" bass amp with a "Made in the UK" cab and all is lovely in the world.[/quote]

It matters a very great deal where it is made. The only way we will stop the slide towards having a third world economy is if consumers take an interest in where stuff is made.

I don't know what the OP's reasons are for asking but he hasn't suggested that anything made in Chine/Korea etc. is crap.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='782022' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:02 PM']It matters a very great deal where it is made. The only way we will stop the slide towards having a third world economy is if consumers take an interest in where stuff is made.

I don't know what the OP's reasons are for asking but he hasn't suggested that anything made in Chine/Korea etc. is crap.[/quote]
Re. your 2nd point, no, but I sensed it coming :rolleyes:

Re. your fitst point - absolutely. But if the amp I want happens to be "Designed in the US" and "Made in China" then what choice do I have? :)

[quote name='Merton' post='782031' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:11 PM']Re. your 2nd point, no, but I sensed it coming :rolleyes:

Re. your fitst point - absolutely. But if the amp I want happens to be "Designed in the US" and "Made in China" then what choice do I have? :)[/quote]

Fair enough, but the thought that within a generation the major economic superpower in the world will be China scares me enough that I won't buy any high value item made there.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='782022' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:02 PM']It matters a very great deal where it is made. The only way we will stop the slide towards having a third world economy is if consumers take an interest in where stuff is made.

I don't know what the OP's reasons are for asking but he hasn't suggested that anything made in Chine/Korea etc. is crap.[/quote]

I was just simply curious!

Quality wise its the same, just quality control is lesser, usually due to language barriers or lack of training but "made in [insert country name]" makes no difference to me

its just i knew they used to be all UK, and now they do a line made in Kentucky USA, and that line still made here,

but the factory location of the others aren't specified, I have actually been to a Korean Ampeg Factory/production site, i have a cousin there who moved over from Brunei, (oil types will know the place)

Not trying to say i know more by this not at all but my roots and my mothers side of the family are dotted around Asia, so "Made in [---]" or things of a similar nature have never really meant anything to me

as i said i was simply curious i have a tendency to like knowing -or to try knowing- everything :)
haha

I use Ampeg & Ashdown, both are great gear.

My old Ashdown stuff is all UK made. My spare Ashdown 1510HX cab is actually up for sale if you're interested...? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81448"]Click here[/url]

Cheers! :)

[quote name='Clarky72' post='782123' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:24 PM']I use Ampeg & Ashdown, both are great gear.

My old Ashdown stuff is all UK made. My spare Ashdown 1510HX cab is actually up for sale if you're interested...? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81448"]Click here[/url]

Cheers! :)[/quote]

Looks like quite a bit of kit!

May be interested in the near future but i'm needing me a Head first! haha, i would go for he ABM500 but thats more then i need the discontinued ABM300 looks ideal but had trouble finding one

I think i'll have to go with MAG EVO II 300, though not saying anything against it!

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='782022' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:02 PM']It matters a very great deal where it is made. The only way we will stop the slide towards having a third world economy is if consumers take an interest in where stuff is made.[/quote]

Agreed. Not sure about the "third world economy" bit, but consumers should definitely take more of an active interest in where their goods are sourced and/or manufactured. If money were no object, I would buy British all the way as long as it didn't involve a compromise on quality.

To be fair though, although there seem to be a few quality cabinet manufacturers in the UK - what is the situation like for amplifiers? Most of the big names bandied about on here are US, Danish, Swedish, German or Italian! :)

My extension cab (MAG 210T) was made in China.
My amp (MAG 300r) was made in England.

Both been VERY reliable - the only problem I've had with the amp was due to the 'interesting' electrics at a certain small pub in Stanningley blowing the power section. It's done a good few hundred gigs and rehearsals.

Any company that has transferred manufacturing to China has done it for two reasons, to reduce cost and to increase profit. Anything made in China can be high quality, for example PJB and Genz Benz, but some companies, in order to increase their profits, reduce the spec as well. That's when they run into trouble and "Made In China" gets a bad name. Don't blame the Chinese but the poor management and QC of the company in question.