Why become a member? ×

What Ashdown gear is made where?

AttitudeCastle

I'm not sure that anyone was "blaming the Chinese" or anyone else. Its hard to "blame" a company for wanting to maximise profits too! The global economy is not a level playing field - which is why so many call centres for UK companies moved to India a few years ago.

The problem, as Chris said, is when corners get cut. When cheaper components are used or QC levels fall. But that almost always turns round and bites the company on the butt! Sometimes to the extent that customers will buy their "original" range, but shun their far-east made products. Ampeg would be one example where sellers are quick to state that their gear is "US made".

As long as the origins are clearly displayed I don't really see a problem. If there is a cost difference then its up to the consumer which range or brand to choose.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='782175' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:08 PM']May be interested in the near future but i'm needing me a Head first! haha, i would go for he ABM500 but thats more then i need the discontinued ABM300 looks ideal but had trouble finding one

I think i'll have to go with MAG EVO II 300, though not saying anything against it![/quote]

Fancy that!

I walked into my local music and there it was! An ABM300 head!

Only issue was about £600
but pricey?
What were these like new

a bit off topic but still, anyone know why the ABM300 was discontinued?

I would really like one of these, but is the extra £300 or so that worth it?

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='783785' date='Mar 23 2010, 06:32 PM']Fancy that!

I walked into my local music and there it was! An ABM300 head!

Only issue was about £600
but pricey?
What were these like new

a bit off topic but still, anyone know why the ABM300 was discontinued?

I would really like one of these, but is the extra £300 or so that worth it?[/quote]
keep an eye out on evil bay,should get one loads cheaper, but of course secondhand.

The one in my local is new, never touched, currently connected to an Ashdown ABM 48 (4x8) mini cab,
pretty neat little set actually! can't wait to try it out for the tone!

still hesitating though, MAG300 or ABM300?

decision people? Help?

haha,
The guys at the place a cool, maybe i can get the price down?

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='782022' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:02 PM']It matters a very great deal where it is made. The only way we will stop the slide towards having a third world economy is if consumers take an interest in where stuff is made.[/quote]

While I agree with your sentiments, it will only work if we are prepared to pay the additional costs of an instrument made in the UK or the USA.

We already have the situation where a CIJ fender is highly regarded in terms of value for money versus a US made fender.

What about the lakland skylines, G&L tributes, and the new music man[men] range.

I would like a Bob Glaub but I cant afford £2K plus for a us one, but I could probably be tempted by a skyline.

Its not just instruments, how about Dyson, Hoover, Computers, Cars etc, the consumer is always going to buy on choice, quality, and price, and if we dont tick all the boxes the consumer will buy elsewhere.

Im sure if we all wrote to Ashdown and said we will buy your products, pay more for them, but only if you make them in the UK, they would do it. But we both know inthe real world they will loose out on sales to competition, not enough people will pay the premium, and the market will determine the price.

i remember the Im backing britain campagn in the 60s, started at colt international at Havant. Under EU law we are not even allows to do that anymore.

Bah Humbug.

[quote name='bumnote' post='785074' date='Mar 24 2010, 08:07 PM']While I agree with your sentiments, it will only work if we are prepared to pay the additional costs of an instrument made in the UK or the USA.

We already have the situation where a CIJ fender is highly regarded in terms of value for money versus a US made fender.

What about the lakland skylines, G&L tributes, and the new music man[men] range.

I would like a Bob Glaub but I cant afford £2K plus for a us one, but I could probably be tempted by a skyline.

Its not just instruments, how about Dyson, Hoover, Computers, Cars etc, the consumer is always going to buy on choice, quality, and price, and if we dont tick all the boxes the consumer will buy elsewhere.

Im sure if we all wrote to Ashdown and said we will buy your products, pay more for them, but only if you make them in the UK, they would do it. But we both know inthe real world they will loose out on sales to competition, not enough people will pay the premium, and the market will determine the price.

i remember the Im backing britain campagn in the 60s, started at colt international at Havant. Under EU law we are not even allows to do that anymore.

Bah Humbug.[/quote]

I wouldn't for a moment suggest that someone should buy something solely because of where it's made. I said consumers should take an interest in where it's made. All else being equal then make a decision based on country of manufacture.

This isn't just about basses or amps but everything we buy. When I'm in the supermarket I buy British produce that's in season. I recently had to buy a baby bottle steriliser. There were 2 brands on the shelf. One Chinese made, one British made and they were exactly the same price. Consumers have enormous power and if they changed just 10% of their buying habits it would make a huge difference to our economy.

The argument about price is a whole other subject. If getting something for the lowest price is the sole criteria for buying it then we will usually lose out to the Chinese or eastern Europeans because we can't compete on labour costs, but people will always pay up for quality or perceived quality. Your example of MIJ Fenders is an interesting one because Japan is not a low wage economy, and yet they produce a high quality product at a lower price than the USA. How many people buy BMWs at a premium price when they are not better cars than Fords.

We manufacture a lot of stuff in this country, and the only way we keep doing it is by having a competitive edge whether it's quality or inovation or image. Clearly if a product is inferior or more expensive then people won't buy it. The car industry is a good example. Until the credit crunch hit we were one of the largest car producers in Europe yet our roads are full of BMWs, Renaults, Citroens and Volkwagons. The motor industry led Germany and France out of recession because Germans buy German cars and Frenchmen buy French cars yet we've got factories turning out perfectly good Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Vauxhalls and Jaguars that no one is buying.

To say it's all a lost cause and not bother to take an interest is a self fulfilling prophecy. There is a significant trickle of offshored manufacturing coming back to the UK and that will probably increase as wage inflation happens in China and eastern Europe. There is no law against being patriotic although European law prohibits taxpayer subsidies giving a competitive advantage to industry.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='785343' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:31 PM']I wouldn't for a moment suggest that someone should buy something solely because of where it's made. I said consumers should take an interest in where it's made. All else being equal then make a decision based on country of manufacture.

This isn't just about basses or amps but everything we buy. When I'm in the supermarket I buy British produce that's in season. I recently had to buy a baby bottle steriliser. There were 2 brands on the shelf. One Chinese made, one British made and they were exactly the same price. Consumers have enormous power and if they changed just 10% of their buying habits it would make a huge difference to our economy.

The argument about price is a whole other subject. If getting something for the lowest price is the sole criteria for buying it then we will usually lose out to the Chinese or eastern Europeans because we can't compete on labour costs, but people will always pay up for quality or perceived quality. Your example of MIJ Fenders is an interesting one because Japan is not a low wage economy, and yet they produce a high quality product at a lower price than the USA. How many people buy BMWs at a premium price when they are not better cars than Fords.

We manufacture a lot of stuff in this country, and the only way we keep doing it is by having a competitive edge whether it's quality or inovation or image. Clearly if a product is inferior or more expensive then people won't buy it. The car industry is a good example. Until the credit crunch hit we were one of the largest car producers in Europe yet our roads are full of BMWs, Renaults, Citroens and Volkwagons. The motor industry led Germany and France out of recession because Germans buy German cars and Frenchmen buy French cars yet we've got factories turning out perfectly good Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Vauxhalls and Jaguars that no one is buying.

To say it's all a lost cause and not bother to take an interest is a self fulfilling prophecy. There is a significant trickle of offshored manufacturing coming back to the UK and that will probably increase as wage inflation happens in China and eastern Europe. There is no law against being patriotic although European law prohibits taxpayer subsidies giving a competitive advantage to industry.[/quote]
totally agree.well said!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='785000' date='Mar 24 2010, 06:59 PM']The one in my local is new, never touched, currently connected to an Ashdown ABM 48 (4x8) mini cab,
pretty neat little set actually! can't wait to try it out for the tone!

still hesitating though, MAG300 or ABM300?

decision people? Help?

haha,
The guys at the place a cool, maybe i can get the price down?[/quote]
theres one on evil bay now!