Why become a member? ×

Wherever you lay your thumb

JordanRLS

I'm well aware that some players rest their right (left in the case of lefties) thumb on the pickup/thumbrest for every stringthat they play, and that some move their thumb to the string directly above when playing the A D and G strings. Which do you prefer? and is there any advantage to either style?

The main reason for my question is that i recently discovered i can play both ways, and was hoping some of the more 'experienced' players could tell me that there is an extreme advantage either way, so that i could continue playing that way... But also thought it may be an interesting point for discussion... :)

Mostly on the pup, either bridge or neck but since I move that positon around, I also use the B string and then float..
all depends, I don't see a massive advantage either way... or rather it doesn't bother me but floating is useful for other techiques..

[quote name='MythSte' post='774564' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:00 PM']Handy tip - resting your thumb on the string above the string your playing is callde Floating Thumb technique :)[/quote]

Technically it isn't. The Floating Thumb technique doesn't involve resting the thumb on
the stings.It 'floats'-hence the name.

I tend to use a movable anchor,where my thumb rests on the pickup and then moves onto
the lower strings-usually up to the D . If it is always anchored on the pickup it becomes too
much of a reach to play the higher strings-especially on a six string.

I rest my thumb on the neck pickup. On the tremendously rare occasions I use my thumb (arpeggios and the like), I'll move it and use it and it will find its way back again afterwards. On the pickup seems natural for me.

I picked up a Burns Bison in a shop a while back and couldn't play it - it had funny bars and wotnot over the pickup, so with my thumb in its usual position, my fingers couldn't hit the strings. Almost the same with Fenders and those chrome covers - they make it almost impossible for me to play without what seems like a major (and unwanted) change in technique.

Usually it's the string adjacent to the one I'm playing (or the pup when I'm playing the E) but sometimes I rest my forearm on the body & my thumb floats around like a floaty thing. I always tend to find my thumb's on or above the neck pup - doesn't feel right over the bridge pup on J or P/J type basses.

I've only been playing predominantly fingerstyle for about 6 or 7 years, having spent the previous 20 or so with a pick, so my technique (if you can call it that) is unschooled and doubtless very poor!

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Doddy' post='774603' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:28 PM']Technically it isn't. The Floating Thumb technique doesn't involve resting the thumb on
the stings.It 'floats'-hence the name.

I tend to use a movable anchor,where my thumb rests on the pickup and then moves onto
the lower strings-usually up to the D . If it is always anchored on the pickup it becomes too
much of a reach to play the higher strings-especially on a six string.[/quote]

Thats something I genuinly didnt know! I thought you anchored your thumb on the string before that gives you enough leverage to play effectively?

I rest my thumb on the neck pup for the E and A strings, and move my thumb onto the E string to play the D and G strings. Usually my thumb rests almost horizontally on the neck pup, whilst my playing fingers are positioned between the neck and bridge. Probably just something to do with being self-taught, but hell, it's comfy.

[quote name='MythSte' post='774721' date='Mar 14 2010, 09:44 PM']Thats something I genuinly didnt know! I thought you anchored your thumb on the string before that gives you enough leverage to play effectively?[/quote]

Here's a short vid of Todd Johnson demonstrating the floating thumb.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' post='774603' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:28 PM']I tend to use a movable anchor,where my thumb rests on the pickup and then moves onto
much of a reach to play the higher strings-especially on a six string.[/quote]
I do the same, but only ever play four strings.

i've got a weird thing about touching plastic, so i press my thumb
against the guitar body for an anchor or on the string above
like using a thumb rest though might buy a couple save me taking
all the scratchplate off my basses, only bass i use the pickup was my
peavey but i put a little tape on the edge of the j pickup dunno
what the plastic things about just feels odd :) :rolleyes:

For me my thumb is either on the bridge or neck pup dependant on the tune I'm playing. Unless I'm playing my 6er then it's on the strings to get over the high end. That was something I just started to do, it wasn't something I was to aware of until I saw a video of myself playing

[quote name='Doddy' post='774741' date='Mar 14 2010, 10:14 PM']Here's a short vid of Todd Johnson demonstrating the floating thumb.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url][/quote]

Highly recommend this technique folks.. great for fast stuff.
The thing is (IMV) its a good alternative playing style, mix it up!
I find I do ok when I dont think about my right hand, just let it do what it wants. :)

Edited by Musicman69

One of the things that endeared me to the Stingray is that the pickup with it's 2 screws at the top feels such a natural place for me to have my thumb. Never really tried much else though, but on my electro acoustic bass, that I rarely play, there's no option but to use the string above.