Why become a member? ×

Stingray, Sterling or Bongo ?

far0n

Tried a friend of mine's Musicman Sub the other day and woah! Does that thing have some balls. So I thought I'd buy a Musicman, thing is I can't decide which to buy. I'm intrigued by the Bongo and Sterling but wondered if anyone had preferences/thoughts on the matter. Are they all variations on a theme ??

What a difficult question!

Especially so given that there are (now) so many variants;

Stingray- H, H/S, H/H
Stingray V- H, H/S, H/H
Sterling
Bongo- H/S, H/H
Bongo V- H/S, H/H

(Not to mention used SUBS, [i]That[/i] Bongo VI prototype, Piezo bridge options, Pre/post EBs, 2 or 3 band EQ ('Ray IV), Graphite necks (Cutlass), Aftermarket Graphite necks (Status), Sabres... the list goes on!)

Personally, I own a 1990 'Ray V Fretless. It's a great instrument.
I've liked every Sterling that I've played. I'm fond of the coil switching options present in both this model and the Stingray V

But... Don't close the door on;

Warwick $$ (Corvette or Streamer) IV and V strings
Modulus "Flea" Signature
Various G&Ls, especially my favourite, the ASAT Bass...

Sorry. That didn't really help much, did it?!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Sterling single H! its the best bass MusicMan do,believe me

Bongo sounds stellar but for me other things like the ergomics and styling of the bass bothered me when I owned one.

you cant go wrong with a stingray and of the three they're more likely to hold thir value better.

Depends on what your looking for:

Looks:
Classical of course goes to the Sterling and 'Ray

Sound:
The bongo is EXTREMELY VERSATILE and personally, I like the design.

The 'Ray and the Sterling have that classical feel and sound, that low end that alot of us look for in a bass. It all depends on what your in the field for.

Having had a Stingray and a Sterling, the differences I noted between the two are :-

STERLING
More variation of tone available (3 way switch etc)
Slimmer jazz style neck
Bit lighter weight

STINGRAY (3 eq)
Overall bit louder and more punch (slight)
Wider precision style neck
Better resale value maybe?
Looks just that bit cooler!!!

Both are fantastic basses, you wont go far wrong with either IMHO.

Good luck!

Pete.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='86633' date='Nov 10 2007, 08:28 PM']The Bongo's have amazing tone variety and feel but...the looks[/quote]

I have to agree, I've just aquired a Bongo 4HH through a trade and have to admit they're one of the fugliest basses around. but they sound SO good!!! The neck is very good and pretty damn fast. And at least you wouldnt have to look at it while you're playing it. At least thats what I've been telling myself.
I played the Bongo live for the first time last night at a gig, and it cut through the mix like a knife through butter, easlily the best sounding bass I've owned.

Mike

But then no one would buy the bongo =] I like the bongo's looks, but I can understand why people wouldn't. My next bass WILL be a bongo 6 (in god knows how ever many years it takes to save for one, being only in my second year of uni and having just bought a 2002 Stingray 5 H 3 band eq (which I wholeheartedly vouch for, the weight and tone ooze quality, a bass for life))

[quote name='far0n' post='84957' date='Nov 7 2007, 03:31 PM']Tried a friend of mine's Musicman Sub the other day and woah! Does that thing have some balls. So I thought I'd buy a Musicman, thing is I can't decide which to buy. I'm intrigued by the Bongo and Sterling but wondered if anyone had preferences/thoughts on the matter. Are they all variations on a theme ??[/quote]

Stingrays have been known for a weak "G" string output. It's been said the "voicing" of the pre amp does this. I have owned many and did experience this phenomenon..I also owned a couple Bongos. Single pup and duel pup. If you can get past the Bongos looks, (toilet seat) etc, I highly suggest you get a used one...or new. It was an interesting bass and I preferred it over the Stingray. It's a newer, more modern design and takes some getting used too, but I loved the playability of mine.

I have a Spector Euro LX now, and am completely happy with quality, playability, and tone, but to each his/her own.

Jim

• 2 months later...

I've only had the Sterling and the Stingray, primarily because I could never hold my head up if I told the guitarists I'd bought something called a 'Bongo'. It looks naff and heavy too (IMO).

Of the other two its personal taste.

Sterling:
+ If you are slightly smaller in stature then the smaller body shape will suit you better
+ jazz(ish) feel neck is faster than the 'Ray
+ (slightly) more versatile preamp is handy for tonal variations, particularly if you are playing covers

Stingray:
+ Fuller tone, due to body size I guess
+ Its a Stingray for christ's sake - that makes it soooo cool
+ Better resale value I'd think.

Anyone want to discuss the merits of the Sabre/Cutlass ??

In my experience, its always the Stingray that I'd reach for on a one-bass gig.

• 1 month later...

Ive come around to loving the look of bongos but still yet to find one to play.

I prefer sterlings over stingrays by FAR! Which is amusing as im a P bass player :S

In saying that i may not be the best person to ask as i prefer MIM p basses over MIA lol.