Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Wow, not much notice from the guitarist.  If I ever give notice,  I'll play gigs until they have  replacement up and running. 

Daryl

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep i'd do the same. 

Same, I announced my leaving of my last band in Aug 2019 and didn’t leave til Jan 2020. That included gigs all over UK and a good few trips into Europe. Not fair to dump people in it that have worked hard to get where they are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another Sunday afternoon/early evening gig for 4 Play at Riverside, Sutton Bridge. The glamour of it all!

Went well. Turned up to see the guitarist heading home to get his pedalboard. One hour round trip 😝 Meant the PA and back line got setup properly though 😃

Played well: singer was driving so not on the usual barrage of rum and coke, which made a real difference. Good feedback, booked again for later in the year. Home by 20:30!!

• Like 13

Played at The Sun Inn in Beverley this afternoon with our acoustic duo. We do it every couple of months

and it’s a cracking music pub. Loads of familiar faces and plenty of requests, mainly dad rock

stuff but also a few we haven’t done in ages including  ‘Harvest Moon’, ‘Bartender’s Blues’ and

someone wanting some Bay City Rollers stuff. Of course we obliged with ‘Shang a lang’ resulting

in mass audience sing a long. Finished by 8pm, just as well as I was knackered after 3x45 min sets 

and some fingers on my right hand were complaining. A good gig though, really enjoyable. 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, moley6knipe said:

Sunday afternoons are great! Sounds like a nice gig…

Yeh, it’s a great one. Not massive but a very old place with coal fires etc. They put on loads of music

and have recently started doing gigs where they have an admission charge.  Coming up soon are Tom Robinson,

John Verity and ex Beautiful South singer Briana Corrigan. 

http://www.suninnbeverley.co.uk

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Curious why the drummer has an all black vinyl strip round his drumkit ?

Other than that i really enjoyed the two vids.

The black strip is a temporary measure as he has a little box on top of his bass drum that picks up his kit sounds and he just mics his snare up now. It's picking up other ambient sounds as it seems to be a bit too sensitive. I don't like the strip of black stuff either, but hopefully his work round material is coming this week. Glad you liked the vids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, casapete said:

Played at The Sun Inn in Beverley this afternoon with our acoustic duo. We do it every couple of months

and it’s a cracking music pub. Loads of familiar faces and plenty of requests, mainly dad rock

stuff but also a few we haven’t done in ages including  ‘Harvest Moon’, ‘Bartender’s Blues’ and

someone wanting some Bay City Rollers stuff. Of course we obliged with ‘Shang a lang’ resulting

in mass audience sing a long. Finished by 8pm, just as well as I was knackered after 3x45 min sets 

and some fingers on my right hand were complaining. A good gig though, really enjoyable. 

Didn’t realise you had a ‘Glam’ side Pete 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We all have a secret Glam side Mart.

Some of us are happy to admit it and others are still struggling to come out of the Glam closet.

Its a hard world we live in. 🤩🤩🤩

Dave :laugh1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

58 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We all have a secret Glam side Mart.

Some of us are happy to admit it and others are still struggling to come out of the Glam closet.

Its a hard world we live in. 🤩🤩🤩

Dave :laugh1:

We weren’t sure if the request for some Bay City Rollers stuff was a Mickey take or not TBH, but

decided to give it a shot anyway! Were the BCR glam though? 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

We weren’t sure if the request for some Bay City Rollers stuff was a Mickey take or not TBH, but

decided to give it a shot anyway! Were the BCR glam though? 😆

They were around during the Glam peak era 73-74 and almost every Glam band will play their songs so i'm gonna say yes. They were more Tartan than Glitter tho but for a Scotsman that's the same thing. :laugh1:

We already do 2 of their songs and about to add a 3rd as they are very popular especially up this way. :biggrin:

There were a few other bands like Kenny, Mud and even Showaddywaddy were all classed under that Glam umbrella. All about costumes and pop songs i guess. Its a very grey area. For me Glam was more T.Rex, Bowie, Sweet and Slade. They were the classic ones but that's just my own view on it. 

Dave

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

For me Glam was more T.Rex, Bowie, Sweet and Slade. They were the classic ones but that's just my own view on it. 

That’s my perception too Dave. The Rollers and the others you mention were around at the same period

but not ‘glam’ bands IMO. Mott the Hoople, Wizzard & Roxy Music were sometimes also lumped in to the genre.

Its obviously a very broad church. 😊

Edited by casapete
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

They were around during the Glam peak era 73-74 and almost every Glam band will play their songs so i'm gonna say yes. They were more Tartan than Glitter tho but for a Scotsman that's the same thing. :laugh1:

We already do 2 of their songs and about to add a 3rd as they are very popular especially up this way. :biggrin:

There were a few other bands like Kenny, Mud and even Showaddywaddy were all classed under that Glam umbrella. All about costumes and pop songs i guess. Its a very grey area. For me Glam was more T.Rex, Bowie, Sweet and Slade. They were the classic ones but that's just my own view on it. 

Dave

Pretty much agree with you Dave; we get loads of punters turning up with tartan scarves though. We do a fair few BCR songs plus the Les Mckewan version of Have I The Right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Pretty much agree with you Dave; we get loads of punters turning up with tartan scarves though. We do a fair few BCR songs plus the Les Mckewan version of Have I The Right.

Its odd how we get requests and obvious love for BCR yet GG is a no no.

Dave

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its odd how we get requests and obvious love for BCR yet GG is a no no.

Dave

We do occasionally have requests for GG but always politely decline.

We have been think of doing a Glitterband number though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We do occasionally have requests for GG but always politely decline.

We have been think of doing a Glitterband number though.

Because our drummer played with Glitter Band in 90's we've done a few over recent years but he's never comfortable with them so we've given up pushing it. He doesn't like advertising the fact he played with them mainly because he's actually quite a shy quiet guy.

He did suggest we start the set with Rock & Roll Pt 1 i think it was but we use that as an intro recording on some gigs.

Will see what develops.

If you are thinking of Angel Face then play it faster as the GB used to do live otherwise he says it dies a bit.

We had a guy before Xmas who kept shouting for GG but he was pi**ed and a bit of t**t. That was the guy that knocked over my bass after we finished that night before Xmas and was thrown out. Luckily no damage. We were in getting changed at the time and my wife thru a wobbler at him. Singer ran out and threw him off the stage. Big big guy too but could hardly stand.

The joys of playing in bands.

Dave

• Like 3

I think John Rossal’s band came on to a hash up of RnR when we supported em a few years back. The audience was very mixed with some loving it and some shaking heads. That said, when Heaven 17 did the human league version at Sheffield a few years back everyone was on their feet - go figure. We were looking at ‘Let’s get together again’ on the GB front.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I think John Rossal’s band came on to a hash up of RnR when we supported em a few years back. The audience was very mixed with some loving it and some shaking heads. That said, when Heaven 17 did the human league version at Sheffield a few years back everyone was on their feet - go figure. We were looking at ‘Let’s get together again’ on the GB front.

yep liked that one too. We tried at a rehearsal but nothing came from it.

Dave

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

What's the US equivalent of Glam? Do cover bands make a specialty of doing the whole enchilada theatre like you fellas? 

There was a US Glam era of bands like Kiss, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Angel, The Tubes and probably a few more.

Most of which were a bit later than the UK Glam era.

There are a few UK Glam covers bands doing the rounds and i think most are doing the full show and all love what they do. Its just great fun.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/01/2024 at 13:31, casapete said:

That’s my perception too Dave. The Rollers and the others you mention were around at the same period

but not ‘glam’ bands IMO. Mott the Hoople, Wizzard & Roxy Music were sometimes also lumped in to the genre.

Its obviously a very broad church. 😊

Pre 1980 and eyeshadow more or less covers it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sunday afternoon, an absolute shitshow. We were asked to play a 30 min set at a cancer charity fundraiser - loads of local acts taking part, well organised with two stages in a big pub - backline (markbass), PA, kit, lights all provided. Should have been a doddle. As it’s only 30 mins I decided to take just my Status, strap, a lead, Sansamp and clip on tuner - what possible need is there for all the usual extras of a spare bass, gig bag etc etc because it’s ONLY 30 MINUTES, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG…….As soon as we started I knew something wasn’t right, the bass didn’t sound right, something sensed rather than heard and then two songs in everything died (Mollys Chambers so not like the bass is integral to the song or anything). Assumed amp had overheated after running for hours but with help from the sound guy realised it was the bass and the batteries had gone. I can’t pick up a spare bass and all my replacement batteries are at home. Pulled one out of the LEDs and sound man found another somewhere and off we went again but how unprofessional and in front of other musos as well. Usually change batteries every six months, must have missed a change as these had been in 10 months (I label them with the date when I change them). And of course it threw me for a couple of songs and the rest of the band - our poorest set since I joined over two years ago. I’m just so pissed off at the coincidence of the timing - they needed to last 20 mins more. I’ve played every gig for years and years with a spare bass and batteries by my side but not Sunday, I’m mortified. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

Think all my active basses can be put into passive mode and will work without a battery. Its something i was always curious about just in case a battery died on me.

I still change the batteries every year and i'll remove and test the off-load voltage every few mths or so.

We all live and learn by our mistakes and pretty sure you won't do that again. @SuperSeagull :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 4