Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 minute ago, asingardenof said:

I'm happy to talk to them if they're complimenting me :D 

The trouble is they normally chose the moment when you are about to start the next set, or are trying to pack your gear up at the end of the show. Either way, they get in the way but I am sure I have been there myself, so try not to be too judgmental.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Off topic.

When break time comes or after the show I struggle with guys that are drunk and want to talk to you about music.

And at the same time I complain when nobody approaches me or gives me any attention. 

Daryl

Occupational hazard, innit?  Sometimes you get some bass nerd wanting to know about your rig/bass in excruciating detail (which is really cool, because I'm a bass nerd also), the next you've got some whizzed up idiot berating you because you didn't play their favourite song, and why don't you know it, and call yourself a band etc.

All the while, trying to say "thanks for coming, I need to pack up now..."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

To be honest i'm not used to the attention at gigs and usually leave it to singers and guitarists but in last few yrs i've had a lot of compliments about my playing. Maybe i'm just taking my ability for granted as i've been doing the same thing for 40+ yrs.

I guess the outfits do tend to draw attention to you. 

Dave

Attention during a break. Lol

Daryl 

IMG_20231015_124930.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

After Sundays gig the singers wife came into changing room and said there was a guy asked if he could get his photo taken with my wig on. I said no of course not as i wear that wig and i'm not letting a complete stranger put it on. Its like letting someone else try your underwear on. Disgusting.

Apparently he wasn't too happy about it. Its the same with the jackets. People want to try the jackets on and have even lifted them from front of stage when the singer removes his and puts it down when too warm and they think they have the right to lift it and wear it to dance with. They don't appreciate the fact that those jackets are  hand made and cost from £300 upwards.

I don't think it's just clothes and costumes. But many punters just don't get that the band's equipment a) costs money, and b) is not there for them to use and abuse without asking, such as...

Getting up on stage to join in grabbing my mic. 

If invited up, standing on pedalboards.

Getting too close to the band, spilling beer, or falling onto equipment.

Putting drinks on speaker cabs. or next to power outlets.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I don't think it's just clothes and costumes. But many punters just don't get that the band's equipment a) costs money, and b) is not there for them to use and abuse without asking, such as...

Getting up on stage to join in grabbing my mic. 

If invited up, standing on pedalboards.

Getting too close to the band, spilling beer, or falling onto equipment.

Putting drinks on speaker cabs. or next to power outlets.

100%. Oddly enough we had a quick cost of our gear on Sun afternoon before the doors opened and it was circa £30k. That included spare amps and basses / guitars and spare desk. The PA alone cost the drummer around £14k altho we didn't bring the subs on this gig. Main desk is an Allen & Heath digital one no idea what version as its all rocket science to me.

My own gear incl cabs, amps, basses, wireless, effects and clothing cost me around £7k in total possibly more. When you stop and take stock of what you've bought to keep your band running without hitch it soon adds up. Clothes alone cost me over £1k.

Dave

• Like 5

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Occupational hazard, innit?  Sometimes you get some bass nerd wanting to know about your rig/bass in excruciating detail (which is really cool, because I'm a bass nerd also), the next you've got some whizzed up idiot berating you because you didn't play their favourite song, and why don't you know it, and call yourself a band etc.

All the while, trying to say "thanks for coming, I need to pack up now..."

The funniest ones are when people buy a ticket clearly advertised as a 70's Glam Rock covers band and then asks us to play some funk, AC/DC or even U2. We've even been asked to play "something modern". The Sweet was modern in 1973. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The funniest ones are when people buy a ticket clearly advertised as a 70's Glam Rock covers band and then asks us to play some funk, AC/DC or even U2. We've even been asked to play "something modern". The Sweet was modern in 1973. :laugh1:

Dave

Oh, don't get me started. "You do any Pink Floyd?" Oh sure, I'll just trot out this saxophonist and these backing singers along with some weird synths and frickin laser beams that we clearly didn't arrive with and we'll get right on that for you, you f'n moron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Oh, don't get me started. "You do any Pink Floyd?" Oh sure, I'll just trot out this saxophonist and these backing singers along with some weird synths and frickin laser beams that we clearly didn't arrive with and we'll get right on that for you, you f'n moron.

My soundcheck is usually the start of Money as it covers all strings and makes it easy for SE to set my tone. I've had a round of applause after playing that wee riff a few times. Please note i am a Floyd fan.

Dave

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My soundcheck is usually the start of Money as it covers all strings and makes it easy for SE to set my tone. I've had a round of applause after playing that wee riff a few times. Please note i am a Floyd fan.

Dave

Careful with that - at soundcheck one time I was absentmindedly noodling the intro to "I Wanna Be Adored" by the Stone Roses. P!shed guy recognised it and was all "YAAAAAAS, I LOVE STONE ROSES!". Sh!t, we don't do that one! Thankfully he was too steamin to remember he'd heard it by the time we started, phew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was in a band for a few years - 2x guitar, bass, drums.  The other 3 all sung.  One of the guitarists was messing about with one of his pedals and he discovered he could make it do a sort of spacey drone that sounded a bit like the opening synth on Shine On You Crazy Diamond.  He demonstrated it to us one rehearsal and guitarist #2 obliged with the opening notes and we kind of busked it for a while.  Next rehearsal we had all learnt it and it stayed in the set for 3 years until the band folded.  Sounded amazing and always went down extremely well.  We usually followed it with a rockabilly version of 'Walk Like An Egyptian'.  Anyhoo, it is entirely possible without keys but with some imagination.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've dabbled a bit with the keys part from the start of On The Run doing it on the bass. Its probably not accurate but a few folks have recognised it when i'm just setting up my rig.

Weird what people recognise. I once played a part from Genesis Suppers Ready VI Apocolypse in 9/8 where bass does EEE-EE-E-EEE-EE-E and someone recognised it. :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Hmm. I was noodling Roundabout last gig. Not sure prog would fit in our blues rock set...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmm. I was noodling Roundabout last gig. Not sure prog would fit in our blues rock set...

Doesn't fit into either of my Glam covers or punk covers bands but its always good fun to confuse the audience. 🤩

Roundabout another good one to noodle with. Difficult for me as i don't use a pick.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Muzz said:

I've been known to noodle the bass intro to Tool's Schism, and no-one's ever recognised it... 🙁

I do that but the drummer joins in. Although at the last gig I did put a part of that riff in all right now. I don't think it really fits, but noone noticed :D

the main riff of Pneuma is also a good for that! 

• Like 2

Our monthly residency with the acoustic duo at a pub in a Hull suburb. Regular faces in the crowd, and 

plenty of requests to get through. Most challenging one was ‘September’ by Earth, Wind & Fire! My

guitarist mate actually made a pretty good job of it, leaving me to try and remember the bass lines

and backing vocals! 
The evening ( for me anyway) was slightly marred by just two people - one guy on his own at the back

who seemed gone on more than alcohol shouting out stuff in between and during the songs. He actually

came up at the end to thank us too, very strange. The other was a woman in her 30’s sitting right in

front of us who had the loudest voice I’ve heard in a long time. Really off putting especially during the 

quieter songs, and annoying some of the audience too. I think she’s a friend of the landlord’s wife

( who was away on holiday) so difficult knowing what to do. She sang along and clapped out of time,

making it difficult for us. When she left before our third and last set we breathed a sigh of relief,

only for her to reappear ten minutes later with a pizza from the takeaway over the road!
Just hope she’s not in on our gig in December. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, casapete said:

When she left before our third and last set we breathed a sigh of relief,

only for her to reappear ten minutes later with a pizza from the takeaway over the road!
Just hope she’s not in on our gig in December. 

She is annoying, that Marguerita… 😀

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've managed to squeeze a bass break from 'Leave It' (from 90125) into the Edwin Star song '25 Miles'. It doesn't derail the song and it satisfies the prog bassist hidden within me.

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

My soundcheck is usually the start of Money as it covers all strings and makes it easy for SE to set my tone

I remember you saying this a while back, and now I do the same. 

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Much belated weekend update-

Friday, trio gig, on acoustic guitar, playing for a mencap do at the local football ground function room, Radfords. Great fun.

Saturday- a gig that almost never was. We had a dep guitarist booked and with 10 days notice he bailed, as he had ‘a better gig’. If we couldn’t replace him it would game over for us in the time available, and we’d have to let down the (repeat client) After much scrabbling and frantic rehearsing the 6 piece went out for the do, replacement guitarist much better than scheduled dep and two audience members joined us on horns- very nice.

Sunday- band call for a week long am-dram run next week. Hadn’t really looked at the part, didn’t look too hard on initial viewing. Made it through, but one number I’d failed to spot it was minim equals 106 rather crotchet. Bit of a Sunday roast! 

IMG_4043.jpeg

• Like 14