Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Not going to be often that my crew get invited to play a wedding at the Shard - so definitely one for us to remember.

LAM-Shard(23-11).thumb.png.6b03541dc742e0f76e30a07206100914.png

Logistically it was one of the most tricky we've had to negotiate: moving kit from the loading bay, which we needed to pre-book slots for the two cars, then going off to park in a nearby car park while a member of staff plus one bandmate moved all the kit from lift 1 to lift 2 and then from lift 2 to outside the wedding reception room on the 34th floor. Then doing all that in reverse at the end of the night! The view was worth it though 😊

• Like 25

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Aww that's a shame - we have the same issue with one of the rehearsal venues we use: the owner is both flabbergasted at how light & good a Barefaced cab compared to the "fridges" he has on site and simultaneously not being prepared to allow anyone to put bass through the PA - only just about tolerates keys! Hope you manage to bring your drummer round eventually - as you say lots of us are going through the PA these days often without backline support.

The fact that i keep the QSC 15's in my garage along with my Mesa cabs doesn't help. Its me that has to humph these heavy cabs in and out of my car every gig and at 40Kg each they aint no lightweights.

I guess its what we do for our bands :laugh1:

I will persist with him altho being old school i do like to see a backline with a band. :biggrin:

Dave

image.thumb.png.748fbaedc2ec78c7d98c5f465e1219e6.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not going to be often that my crew get invited to play a wedding at the Shard - so definitely one for us to remember.

Logistically it was one of the most tricky we've had to negotiate: moving kit from the loading bay, which we needed to pre-book slots for the two cars, then going off to park in a nearby car park while a member of staff plus one bandmate moved all the kit from lift 1 to lift 2 and then from lift 2 to outside the wedding reception room on the 34th floor. Then doing all that in reverse at the end of the night! The view was worth it though 😊

Looks great!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I didn't even follow your explanation so i've no chance with the Allison Effect. :laugh1:

Dave

Give it a go. They will explain it another way that may well gel with you.

Cab puts out sound waves.

Low end energy travels out in all directions = omnidirectional. High frequencies get beamed by speakers toward the front. Very important concept.

No reflective boundary = field ( of grass ).

Walls reflect bass energy without absorbing much of it. ( The relative amount of bass that passes through compared with treble is a red herring)

It's a lot easier to visualize sound as sines which plot pressure at a location over time.

Overlay two sines that are identical but half a wavelength out of phase. Sum them at any point, you get zero. Ie they are cancelling one another out.

A quarter wavelength is a distance. It is one quarter of the distance it takes a sound wave to complete compression and rarefraction before it is compressing again. V=fĹ 

Sound travelling two quarter wavelengths has travelled half a wavelength. A quarter wavelength cancellation is a thing you can look up also.

It's past my bedtime.

It would be well worth your time to get to grips with these concepts as you can head off problems before setting up in a new venue.

• Thanks 1

I didn't even follow your explanation so i've no chance with the Allison Effect. :laugh1:

Dave

Low end energy travels out in all directions = omnidirectional. High frequencies get beamed by speakers toward the front. Very important concept.

Walls reflect bass energy without absorbing much of it. ( The relative amount of bass that passes through compared with treble is a red herring)

It's a lot easier to visualize sound as sines which plot pressure at a location over time.

Overlay two sines that are identical but half a wavelength out of phase. Sum them at any point, you get zero. Ie they are cancelling one another out.

A quarter wavelength is a distance. It is one quarter of the distance it takes a sound wave to complete compression and rarefraction before it is compressing again. V=fĹ 

Sound travelling two quarter wavelengths has travelled half a wavelength. A quarter wavelength cancellation is a thing you can look up also.

It's past my bedtime.

It would be well worth your time to get to grips with these concepts as you can head off problems before setting up in a new venue.

• Like 2

Dave

It's past my bedtime.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The fact that i keep the QSC 15's in my garage along with my Mesa cabs doesn't help. Its me that has to humph these heavy cabs in and out of my car every gig and at 40Kg each they aint no lightweights.

I guess its what we do for our bands :laugh1:

I will persist with him altho being old school i do like to see a backline with a band. :biggrin:

Dave

image.thumb.png.748fbaedc2ec78c7d98c5f465e1219e6.png

Just looked up the specs. Max SPL 134db peak. -6db @ 35hz and -10db @ 30hz. That's just as deep and powerful as some 15" subwoofers.

It'll be fine.  

To err on the side of caution, you could always put an hpf filter at the end of your chain, around 40-50hz or so.

Last week, I played my first ever show on bass guitar with my new band Wooed.

Background: I’ve been ‘playing’ bass for a few years (just mucking around playing my favourite bass riffs when I get the odd minute) but only started to take it seriously when Covid kicked off. In 2022, a couple of long-term friends expressed an interest in forming a band, and we all love the same music (rock/punk-‘adjacent’) so booked the local rehearsal room and muddled our way through some of our favourite covers. It’s only in the last 6/7 months that we’ve managed to write some originals. I like to think we’re a mix of Brutus and The War on Drugs – that’s the sound we’re aiming for, anyway.

We were the first band on a lineup of some great up-and-coming punk/hardcore bands (Out of Love, Tripsun, Buds) at a venue called The Vaults in Portsmouth. They’ve all either toured with bands I love (Scowl, Angel Dust, Static Dress) or are playing some pretty big festivals in the coming year (Buds are playing 2000 Trees for example, and they were on straight after us). So felt pretty chuffed that our little band, with only a 4-track demo to our name, was able to open the show. The show was also free entry, so we knew there would be a decent crowd. Definitely feel very privileged in that respect, as a lot of bands’ first shows are played to a crowd of 5 people, so the whole band and I were bang up for it.

That being said, it was still my very first time playing bass in front of a crowd (same with the drummer), so I was nervous as anything. We had rehearsed the set quite a few times over so wasn’t too worried about the playing itself, but more about how we sounded in front of others and whether we’d sound as tight as we do in the rehearsal room. We’re also not quite as fast-paced or as frenetic as the other three bands on the bill, so the chances of us going down well were mixed.

None of the other bands wanted to soundcheck so we arrived at the venue and had to set up the drums/amps etc for our soundcheck. The backline was provided but there was an issue with the bass head, so had to DI straight to the PA. Not a great start as I’d have liked to have felt the air from the bass amp, but these things happen. Soundcheck sounded good, so we basically launched straight into the set. I was standing right next to the drums – the stage was very small so couldn’t move – so popped in the ear protectors and away we went.

Straight away, I could barely hear anything through the monitors. I just assumed it was the ear protectors dampening the sound a bit, and our first song is our heaviest, so maybe I was lost in the mix a bit. Second song starts…nope it’s definitely the monitor. This carries on for the rest of the set, but didn’t hear any complaints from the crowd and no-one told me if I was quiet, so it must have sounded good out front. I should have asked for more bass in the monitor, regardless of how uncool it sounds on the mic - definite learning opportunity for me, there.

We also only had 20 minutes, so we had to rocket through our 4 tracks. I think we came in about 22-23 minutes, as we have some tuning time between the 2nd and 3rd songs. The tuning was a good minute or two, and unfortunately this made some slightly uncomfortable dead time, so I wish I had a) spoke on the mic for a bit just to engage the crowd, or b) at least smashed on the reverb + delay and created some ambience for that moment. Another big learning opportunity that only presents itself when you actually play the show, so I’m kind of grateful that it happened, as I know what to do for next time.

Another small thing is that I was insanely sweaty from the word go 😰 so I’m definitely packing a towel for those moments in between tracks.

That being said, I enjoyed the show and we had a lot of compliments afterwards, so we’ve already reached out to a few more promoters. Really buzzing to have been on such an awesome show, and more importantly to have ripped off the first show ‘bandaid’.

Screenshot_20231117-092834.png

Screenshot_20231118-080049.jpg

Screenshot_20231118-125451.png

PXL_20231117_204224418.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

IMG-20231118-WA0012.jpg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, dirgefornovember said:

Straight away, I could barely hear anything through the monitors. I just assumed it was the ear protectors dampening the sound a bit, and our first song is our heaviest, so maybe I was lost in the mix a bit. Second song starts…nope it’s definitely the monitor. This carries on for the rest of the set, but didn’t hear any complaints from the crowd and no-one told me if I was quiet, so it must have sounded good out front. I should have asked for more bass in the monitor, regardless of how uncool it sounds on the mic - definite learning opportunity for me, there.

Yep, been there. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing though!

3 minutes ago, dirgefornovember said:

We also only had 20 minutes, so we had to rocket through our 4 tracks. I think we came in about 22-23 minutes, as we have some tuning time between the 2nd and 3rd songs. The tuning was a good minute or two, and unfortunately this made some slightly uncomfortable dead time, so I wish I had a) spoke on the mic for a bit just to engage the crowd, or b) at least smashed on the reverb + delay and created some ambience for that moment. Another big learning opportunity that only presents itself when you actually play the show, so I’m kind of grateful that it happened, as I know what to do for next time.

Definitely an argument for taking a second instrument with you to minimise downtime (yes, this site is just full of enablers - enabling one to be a lot poorer for certain) or an opportunity to work on your audience engagement. That's always a good opportunity to introduce the band members, or talk about what song is coming up. 

Well done on getting out there and having fun, more power to you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Wow - what a great place to play! :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dirgefornovember said:

Another small thing is that I was insanely sweaty from the word go 😰 so I’m definitely packing a towel for those moments in between tracks.

I hope you were coming through out front. My experience with some mixes is the guitar and bass drum are so bass heavy that I could stop playing and no-one would notice. Actually, I did this one at a rehearsal when we were trying out new PA and IEM gear. The mix was so bass-heavy that I couldn't identify a single note I was playing, so I stopped playing. The others thought it sounded great until they saw me with my arms folded. They were clearly listening to themselves and not the whole mix.

I would say take a friend who knows their stuff and get them to stand out front. Or get a long cable or wireless and venture forth into the crowd.

RE getting sweaty: I keep a bandana and bottle of baby powder close by at gig, especially for this reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Just looked up the specs. Max SPL 134db peak. -6db @ 35hz and -10db @ 30hz. That's just as deep and powerful as some 15" subwoofers.

It'll be fine.  

To err on the side of caution, you could always put an hpf filter at the end of your chain, around 40-50hz or so.

The digital desk has built in HPF so there's no real risk at all.

I'll keep at it tho. 😂

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dirgefornovember said:

Last week, I played my first ever show on bass guitar with my new band Wooed.

That being said, it was still my very first time playing bass in front of a crowd (same with the drummer), so I was nervous as anything. We had rehearsed the set quite a few times over so wasn’t too worried about the playing itself, but more about how we sounded in front of others and whether we’d sound as tight as we do in the rehearsal room. We’re also not quite as fast-paced or as frenetic as the other three bands on the bill, so the chances of us going down well were mixed.

None of the other bands wanted to soundcheck so we arrived at the venue and had to set up the drums/amps etc for our soundcheck. The backline was provided but there was an issue with the bass head, so had to DI straight to the PA. Not a great start as I’d have liked to have felt the air from the bass amp, but these things happen. Soundcheck sounded good, so we basically launched straight into the set. I was standing right next to the drums – the stage was very small so couldn’t move – so popped in the ear protectors and away we went.

Well done on the gig. Its a great feeling playing to a decent audience.

With regards bass thru the monitors i've found some venues have Low Pass filters on their monitors which means when bass is thru them its very top ended and no depth. Other venues don't put bass thru the monitors unless you specifically ask for it. Personally i don't really bother but i can usually hear my own rig that i balance against the on-stage drum volume.

I've experienced the same situation when using a provided backline and its just not up to the job usually because they buy cheap under powered bass gear and they don't understand that a 100W bass amp isn't the same volume as a 100W Marshall they've provided for guitarists.

I always have a bar towel in my bag or even a golf towel that i use to wipe my hands and bass down between songs when needed. Occasionally my face when in the Glam band with the wig and Glam jacket etc. (It does get a bit hot and sweaty.)

I also have two 18" gym fans one at each side of the stage to cool us all down. Drummer has his own next to him.

All in all you can be chuffed with that result. You carried on like a true professional even when things aren't quite perfect for you on stage. Sometimes you just need to get on and make the best of a difficult situation.

Well done

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Mine too Dave, loved the cartoons in it, The Three Musketeers and The Arabian Nights

Size of an elephant 

Arabian Nights was brilliant :laugh1:

The four Splits were really funny too. Stupidly funny by perfect for us kids.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dirgefornovember said:

smashed on the reverb + delay and created some ambience for that moment

Not a great idea unless you can do it quietly as all that reverberation will play hell with the tuning of the guitars.

Make sure your skinny stringers have intonated their guitars with themselves. Nothing worse than retuning a guitar to better suit another set of chords when it's the intonation that's out of whack in the first place.

• Like 2