Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

20 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Sounds good Dave, one of my fave SLF songs 

Must admit i do like the bassist with SLF. He plays some nice riffs and had a fantastic tone in the earlier days with the Guild bass. Not so much these days with his Stingray bass. No clarity with it which surprises me with a Stingray bass. Maybe its just his amp settings or FOH mix.

Dave

• Like 3

On 15/10/2023 at 00:54, asingardenof said:

I'm not sure what happened between them packing up and us setting up, but I could barely hear myself through the rig. Even crouched in front of the speaker and with the master volume maxed I should have been deafened, but not even close. So I was largely relying on muscle memory – again – to get me through where I didn't have a clear run without being buried under our guitarist in the mix.

User error (whatever the bass equivalent of PEBCAK is) strikes again. The sound guy told me that he'd turned off the distortion setting on the amp. What I didn't notice though is that he'd also helpfully turned down this rather crucial dial: 

image.thumb.png.f06517f25c8357d3a5c24014e5ebb09a.png

FFS.

Anyway, it's back to using my own gear in December and giving my ABM600 its first outing since June.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Must admit i do like the bassist with SLF. He plays some nice riffs and had a fantastic tone in the earlier days with the Guild bass. Not so much these days with his Stingray bass. No clarity with it which surprises me with a Stingray bass. Maybe its just his amp settings or FOH mix.

Dave

My thoughts too, the Stingray just doesn`t seem to work with those great riffs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I saw SLF when Bruce Foxton was playing for them. He was sublime.

Weird seeing him without a Rik 😆

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I saw SLF when Bruce Foxton was playing for them. He was sublime.

Weird seeing him without a Rik 😆

That would be pretty good to see. I'm not really a punk fan but i've certainly taken a huge liken to SLF solely based on the bass player and the song melodies are far better than many of the punk bands from that era. Just great songs all round. A very exceptional band IMHO.

Wonder if there are any vids of Foxton playing with them. I'm off to Youtube now to check.

Dave

Found one :-

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Small venue Daryl. Its a vocal PA only. 

Shure wireless (it has built in tuner so i use every gig now)

Very nice. I've been playing wireless for the past 12 years. Wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not going to venture out into the audience like some guys, however I like the freedom wireless gives you.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, asingardenof said:

User error (whatever the bass equivalent of PEBCAK is) strikes again. The sound guy told me that he'd turned off the distortion setting on the amp. What I didn't notice though is that he'd also helpfully turned down this rather crucial dial: 

FFS.

Anyway, it's back to using my own gear in December and giving my ABM600 its first outing since June.

I've got the same amp. It always seems to me that it's got more knobs that it really needs!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, asingardenof said:

FFS.

I’m glad you found the fault , it’s best to be familiar with an amp when you gig with it , I know sometimes that’s simply not possible. My experience with Darkglass so far has been very positive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Very nice. I've been playing wireless for the past 12 years. Wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not going to venture out into the audience like some guys, however I like the freedom wireless gives you.

Daryl

I bought it mainly for the Glam band as wearing platform boots makes it too easy to trip over your lead and it gives me the freedom to move across to the guitarist for some head-banging stuff :laugh1:

Because its secured to my strap its just easier to use it every gig now.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

The only person to touch my amp settings is me - end of.

😎

1 hour ago, msb said:

I’m glad you found the fault , it’s best to be familiar with an amp when you gig with it , I know sometimes that’s simply not possible. My experience with Darkglass so far has been very positive. 

I got the impression it was already supplied at the gig as he mentions his trusty Ashdown rig for next gig. ?

I might be the one that's picked it up wrong to be fair. 

Dave

• Like 1

On 15/10/2023 at 19:12, Bluewine said:

The gig turned out to be a lot of fun.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=862602832054443&id=100001681941959&mibextid=Nif5oz

I'll add another full song clip later tonight. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1697374840780.jpg

IMG_20231015_124854.jpg

IMG_20231015_124930.jpg

Great band sound, and I really like the tone you’ve getting as well…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, msb said:

It sounded great through FOH and I'd love to try one properly in the future. But yes, you're right, I was basically shown it and told there you go literally minutes before we were due to go on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I got the impression it was already supplied at the gig as he mentions his trusty Ashdown rig for next gig. ?

I might be the one that's picked it up wrong to be fair. 

Dave

Nope, you've read the situation correctly. Amp was supplied by the band that was due to play before ours, whose bassist was the music organiser for the event but who was hospitalised the day before.

• Like 2

Fine Lines, Tuesday night at Rebellion, Manchester, supporting "The Long Ryders".

There was some initial trepidation, concerning the number of people willing to make the trip in to town to see both acts, but as it turned out, a relatively healthy showing managed to make the evening an enjoyable one.

We were faced with the usual arms-folded audience members, somewhat determined not to enjoy us for the crime of not being the headline act, but we managed to overcome most of them by the time our set was complete.

We went on 10 minutes later than scheduled, due to the late arrival of tue audience, but we still managed to clear the stage in under 5 minutes, proving once again that we may be rubbish, but we're easy to accomodate.

Gratuitous shots:

IMG-20231017-WA0058.jpg

IMG-20231017-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20231017-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20231017-WA0016.jpg

• Like 15

9 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Great band sound, and I really like the tone you’ve getting as well…It sounds like we're out of tune.

Here's a better video of Tennessee Whiskey. 

I hope this isn't a duplicate posting 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0A7vcWBLR8RgevNBYZGiPNivGmXbeW5aCWTEo7mJNoUwmASPwX8VN4CzYtccFo6h5l&id=1470144703&mibextid=Nif5oz

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Fine Lines, Tuesday night at Rebellion, Manchester, supporting "The Long Ryders".

There was some initial trepidation, concerning the number of people willing to make the trip in to town to see both acts, but as it turned out, a relatively healthy showing managed to make the evening an enjoyable one.

We were faced with the usual arms-folded audience members, somewhat determined not to enjoy us for the crime of not being the headline act, but we managed to overcome most of them by the time our set was complete.

We went on 10 minutes later than scheduled, due to the late arrival of tue audience, but we still managed to clear the stage in under 5 minutes, proving once again that we may be rubbish, but we're easy to accomodate.

Gratuitous shots:

IMG-20231017-WA0058.jpg

IMG-20231017-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20231017-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20231017-WA0016.jpg

I spy boots and hats....you must be a Country band?   I've found your FB page and given it a like......here's mine in case you're in a reciprocal mood 😊😊

https://www.facebook.com/southernfrontiercountryband/

Edited by ricksterphil
spelling
  • Like 3

On 17/10/2023 at 00:49, Bluewine said:

Out of all the obstacles we all face I think poor turn out is the hardest to deal with. It is for me.

Blue

Over the years (playing in covers bands, and especially in this current one) I've become completely immune to the levels of indifference shown by punters during the sets (especially the first set), mainly because the mithering buggers are all there at the end when they're drunk and we're dying to get packed away, with their 'One more song!' nonsense...

As long as I'm being paid, I'll play to an empty room and not think twice about it... 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Here's a better video of Tennessee Whiskey. 

I hope this isn't a duplicate posting 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0A7vcWBLR8RgevNBYZGiPNivGmXbeW5aCWTEo7mJNoUwmASPwX8VN4CzYtccFo6h5l&id=1470144703&mibextid=Nif5oz

Daryl

Batman AND the local wildlife!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Over the years (playing in covers bands, and especially in this current one) I've become completely immune to the levels of indifference shown by punters during the sets (especially the first set), mainly because the mithering buggers are all there at the end when they're drunk and we're dying to get packed away, with their 'One more song!' nonsense...

As long as I'm being paid, I'll play to an empty room and not think twice about it... 🙂

I mean getting paid does take the sting off of a near-empty room a wee bit, but (and perhaps this is because I’m only just back into the scene), without the crowd it’s hard to enjoy the night. That’s why we play live, right? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

I mean getting paid does take the sting off of a near-empty room a wee bit, but (and perhaps this is because I’m only just back into the scene), without the crowd it’s hard to enjoy the night. That’s why we play live, right? 

If you follow my posts, you know I'm not a " I'm not in it for the money" guy. Far from it. I need this extra money. I'm stashing away all my gig money to pay my annual property taxes.

I've had gigs that  I wasn't looking forward to. They become a "get out and go get that money" proposition only. Sad but true.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5