Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2Young 2Old , two younger guys , and a couple of geezers in the rhythm section. One guitar player is going back to Boston next week to finish his music degree. Talking to a young guitar wiz in between sets Friday and he mentioned if we were ever looking for a sub , he’d be interested.

Perfect.

I told him we’d get a date at our favourite old dive , and then go from there. Said if he could cover about a dozen vocals to give us the list. We’d do the study. 
So 2Young 2Old will carry on … it’s been an enjoyable little project for the summer. Not too serious. The gigs have gone well.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Wish i had known Stevie and i would have come down for an hour. What is the bands name. (you do change bands a lot :biggrin:)

Great wee pub and they have a live band on every Fri night and always pretty well attended.

Last time i was in it got too busy for me and i left after the first set. Being sober i find it difficult to put up with drunken idiots in pubs unless i'm playing and getting paid for it. :biggrin:

Maybe next time. Let me know when you are back.

I'll come down and stand right in front of you as i did with another BC'er @Angelus who plays there regularly.

Dave

Playing with Ruff Edge this week! Yes do pop in we are back in 20th October! I'll be honest I am not one for going along to pubs to see bands but I did manage about a year ago and joined in with the drinking from 2pm till about 10.45pm! Kind of ruined the next two days for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

He was rather emotional towards the end of the evening, which equates to a big loud soppy Welshman 🤣

Probably to be expected as he must have gone thru h*ll with that accident wondering how he's gonna cope with life.

Well done to you guys for staying with him and getting him back up there. Hopefully he's getting more confidence and getting on with things as normal.

Quite inspirational i have to say. I'm getting quite emotional myself now. 😂

That's made me happy today.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theplumber said:

Playing with Ruff Edge this week! Yes do pop in we are back in 20th October! I'll be honest I am not one for going along to pubs to see bands but I did manage about a year ago and joined in with the drinking from 2pm till about 10.45pm! Kind of ruined the next two days for me!

I'll try and come down if not gigging Stevie. Would be good to catch up.

Dave

• Like 2

Still on a bit of a post-gig wind-down so thought I'd do this now.

Second gig for Dirty Roses - we've been rehearsing for a few months and have finally emerged.

Between the first and second gigs, at the same pub, I've replaced the RCF 710A Mk2s with Alto TS408s. Smaller and lighter, and I've got to load and unload the buggers so that's the way I want them.

The gig went well, from an audience and gaffer POV (plenty of singalong and dancers). There were definitely scrappy bits which need to be sorted. I don't think there will be a problem saying to the others that x and y need sorting, everyone is amenable to criticism. It's a question of whether x and y will actually get sorted.

Mrs Zero was out front and the new speakers got the thumbs up from her. She's also written notes about what we need to sort out. I hope that her 64GB phone gave her adequate room for that. The gaffer was also impressed with the sound, so the all-Alto system (2x TS408 FOH, 2x TS308 monitors) is looking good, along with the Behringer X-Air XR12 that runs it..

Next gig is next weekend. Confidence is increasing.

Oh, I should also mention (I may have also done so if I wrote up our first gig in this thread) that the rest of the band were brilliant in bringing stuff in and out from the car. The load in for me consisted of two journeys from car to "stage", the load out was just one journey. Replacing the not-terribly-big RCFs with the tiny Altos has helped there.

• Like 16

Played our third gig with DJ5 last night.  It was a charity gig in a village hall, complete with a "PA" that last saw action when the desk was run by a brontosaurus, but we played pretty decently  and went down well with a roomful of punters.  The sound was awful, as it tends to be at these things - hollow stage, tiny FOH, poor monitoring etc, and the lighting was four par-cans that were literally in my left ear, but we all had fun and it was great to get out and play again.  The band's coming together well now, and we're all finding our roles in it. We debuted three new songs (If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next, Breaking The Law and Kick Out The Jams) as well as playing a one-off of a version of We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, featuring the vocalist's 13 year old girl (my god-daughter) on vocals.

Wholeband.thumb.jpg.89caceebf1f8f36d883021b2b635fd91.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture quality; although many photos were taken, none of them seem to be of any use!

After our set we were asked if we wanted to headline two nights at a big biker rally in Cardiff next year, so we must have done a halfway tidy job of things!

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Like 18

Second gig of the weekend was the modern rock covers band (Wednesday’s Child) playing a little pub in Dorking.

Bank Holiday weekend meant a sparser crowd than usual but they seemed to enjoy it and we had fun. Two new additions to the set, one of which is the wonderful Twisted (Everyday Hurts) by Skunk Anansie - what a bassline 😀 - and both went ok I think.

IMG_0818.thumb.jpeg.17e87c6f9626140dd45d38530f2c0408.jpeg

Now for a busman’s holiday, off to a beer and music festival as a punter 😎

• Like 17

Last two gigs have been wrecked by decibel meter.Now before I am berated by comments of turn down then.These things were set at ridiculously low levels.The disco with poor low end as usual played at a volume that could wake the dead.We produce a quality full sound at a very low volume and trip the meter.It’s been a long time since we had this happen even in venues that have decibel meters in.Even after speaking to the agent after the gig he mentioned the problems artists playing in these venues are complaining that it is becoming really difficult to do there shows.His option is to put in a single act with backing.He then tells me the venues want bands with drums but the meters will not accommodate them.I have been playing for more years than I wish to admit to and played through 70s 80s when meters were everywhere and had no issue.We have now decided not to play anymore of these venues without the option to bypass or adjust the level.If we are not required to play at these places then so be it.We will always accommodate volume  requests levels but sound quality to suite a decibel meter is non negotiable.The shows were very well received and we even got apologies from some of the audience on having our show wrecked by these meters.

Edited by WAYNESWORLD
  • Like 8
  • Sad 9

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

Still on a bit of a post-gig wind-down so thought I'd do this now.

Second gig for Dirty Roses - we've been rehearsing for a few months and have finally emerged.

Between the first and second gigs, at the same pub, I've replaced the RCF 710A Mk2s with Alto TS408s. Smaller and lighter, and I've got to load and unload the buggers so that's the way I want them.

The gig went well, from an audience and gaffer POV (plenty of singalong and dancers). There were definitely scrappy bits which need to be sorted. I don't think there will be a problem saying to the others that x and y need sorting, everyone is amenable to criticism. It's a question of whether x and y will actually get sorted.

Mrs Zero was out front and the new speakers got the thumbs up from her. She's also written notes about what we need to sort out. I hope that her 64GB phone gave her adequate room for that. The gaffer was also impressed with the sound, so the all-Alto system (2x TS408 FOH, 2x TS308 monitors) is looking good, along with the Behringer X-Air XR12 that runs it..

Next gig is next weekend. Confidence is increasing.

Oh, I should also mention (I may have also done so if I wrote up our first gig in this thread) that the rest of the band were brilliant in bringing stuff in and out from the car. The load in for me consisted of two journeys from car to "stage", the load out was just one journey. Replacing the not-terribly-big RCFs with the tiny Altos has helped there.

Are you a Stone Roses or Guns n’Roses tribute?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

Last two gigs have been wrecked by decibel meter.Now before I am berated by comments of turn down then.These things were set at ridiculously low levels.The disco with poor low end as usual played at a volume that could wake the dead.We produce a quality full sound at a very low volume and trip the meter.It’s been a long time since we had this happen even in venues that have decibel meters in.Even after speaking to the agent after the gig he mentioned the problems artists playing in these venues are complaining that it is becoming really difficult to do there shows.His option is to put in a single act with backing.He then tells me the venues want bands with drums but the meters will not accommodate them.I have been playing for more years than I wish to admit to and played through 70s 80s when meters were everywhere and had no issue.We have now decided not to play anymore of these venues without the option to bypass or adjust the level.If we are not required to play at these places then so be it.We will always accommodate volume  requests levels but sound quality to suite a decibel meter is non negotiable.The shows were very well received and we even got apologies from some of the audience on having our show wrecked by these meters.

Never come across any to be honest with my own bands. If they've been there they were never triggered.

Dave

• Like 1

After Friday’s turbo set up two completely different experiences. 

Early set up for the 11 piece, for a centenary celebration for a local company, big marquee for 200+ people. A luxurious 2 hours to make sure everything was ok, neat and tidy, plus the local music shop lent us a pair of chauvet dominator moving heads to play with. Lunch and a kip then onto…

Acoustic gig bashing the hell out of my old Taylor 214 with the two singers and the drummer on assorted percussion toys for an hour. We were pushed for time (the drummer was following the van- not used to our country back lanes 🤣) so had 10 minutes to get ready. Plugged in my one jack into the provided PA, 3 mics pointed in the correct general direction and that was that! Nice hour of mucking about then back to the tent for hanging around, then two hours of trying to get work colleagues to lose their inhibitions about partying in front of the boss! 

IMG_3903.jpeg

• Like 12

Actually Friday, but it was a great night at our regular pub venue. Fantastic audience that was up and grooving pretty much all night long.

Also my second outing with the 4x10 Ashdown cab I got from @richardd replacing the 1x15 and teamed up with the 2x10 I have used for aaages, so I'm running 6x10s 😃. Need to twiddle the fiddly knobs a bit more but it pounds!! HEFT baby!!

IMG_7065.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Never come across any to be honest with my own bands. If they've been there they were never triggered.

Dave

You're v. lucky to have avoided them, they're a proper pain in the arrse. 

One place, where it went off literally as soon as you touched a guitar, we said we'll either plug into a "non trip" set of power sockets, or we pack up and go home now.   

We played in the end after a bit of cable running argy - bargey. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You're v. lucky to have avoided them, they're a proper pain in the arrse. 

One place, where it went off literally as soon as you touched a guitar, we said we'll either plug into a "non trip" set of power sockets, or we pack up and go home now.   

We played in the end after a bit of cable running argy - bargey. 

I've heard of bands simply putting a cloth or material of some sort over the mic /sensor for the Decibel meter and that's enough to dampen its response.

I have heard of the sockets that aren't covered by the trip circuit too.

Guess we either don't play that loud or venues have them switched off for us ?

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky L said:

Actually Friday, but it was a great night at our regular pub venue. Fantastic audience that was up and grooving pretty much all night long.

Also my second outing with the 4x10 Ashdown cab I got from @richardd replacing the 1x15 and teamed up with the 2x10 I have used for aaages, so I'm running 6x10s 😃. Need to twiddle the fiddly knobs a bit more but it pounds!! HEFT baby!!

IMG_7065.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

Looks like a great venue. Very atmospheric.

Nice

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merton said:

Second gig of the weekend was the modern rock covers band (Wednesday’s Child) playing a little pub in Dorking.

Bank Holiday weekend meant a sparser crowd than usual but they seemed to enjoy it and we had fun. Two new additions to the set, one of which is the wonderful Twisted (Everyday Hurts) by Skunk Anansie - what a bassline 😀 - and both went ok I think.

IMG_0818.thumb.jpeg.17e87c6f9626140dd45d38530f2c0408.jpeg

Now for a busman’s holiday, off to a beer and music festival as a punter 😎

Which pub is that? We've done the Kings Head in Dorking a couple of times during their festival. It's a nice spot. 

• Like 1

So did my two Dep gigs with Up To Eleven. A rocky covers band doing unashamed crowd pleasers. First was a local fete second a rugby club so very different crowds!

Despite most people just carrying on doing bouncy castle, space hoppers cake eating etc. We had a good receptive audience for the fete if far away! Not helped by the damp but the rain   held off.

The club crowd ebbed and flowed, times were 8 to 10 which was unusual!

Lots of very rowdy dancing and singing and it really was good fun. I did get lost when they did a medley of play that funky music and superstition  and changed songs a verse early...

• Like 11

We played an outdoor event yesterday, in a combination of rain, sun, wind and a bit of thunder. Fortunately we were well covered and the turnout was pretty good in the circumstances. A few songs in my MB setup wasn't right. Not enough volume and no bottom end. I could see the speaker in the combo pounding away but no movement in the extension cab. Between songs swapped out the speakon lead for a spare jack to jack speaker cable I carry and all was good but these things are always a bit stressful when they happen mid performance. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like a great venue. Very atmospheric.

Nice

Dave

Yeah, not a huge amount of space but there is a bit more along to the right of stage. I really like the sound there. (It's meant to be haunted and not just by a bunch of my bum notes 😁)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've heard of bands simply putting a cloth or material of some sort over the mic /sensor for the Decibel meter and that's enough to dampen its response.

I have heard of the sockets that aren't covered by the trip circuit too.

Guess we either don't play that loud or venues have them switched off for us ?

Dave

We would have done that if we could have found the mic .We are mainly a Soul outfit and are really not that loud.But we do like to have a quality sound with depth to it which appears to send the last two meters into a frenzy.Play a skinny sound that grates on everyone’s ears at massive volume levels no probs.Just putting it down to another experience as we know the next gig will be a belter.

• Like 2