Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 06/08/2023 at 11:10, martthebass said:

A club gig just outside of Pontefract for the Glam band last night. Two of our compliment of four were struggling with some sort of flu bug but soldiered on like troopers propped up by our mobile (legal) pharmacy. Despite this we performed ok save a small blip due to brain fog on one of the afflicted’s part (we covered it well!) and we had the punters dancing from the first number. 
One thing of note was the failure of my smooth hound wireless set up leading me to hard wire for the second spot. There was so much mobile activity in the venue (I guess) that all the red lights were on and my set up couldn’t maintain a connection.

Was that The Old Post Office? Most of my band is based around Cleckheaton but I'm in Cas and our guitarist is near Normanton so I'm on the hunt for potential venues in the Five Towns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Been waiting a long time to post on this thread!

Last night we made our debut at Rock Against Leukaemia at The Steamboat Tavern, Ipswich. 
We played a 50 minute set, with a bit of everything from Oasis and Stereophonics to Metallica and RATM. The crowd seemed to enjoy it, with a far better reaction than I ever got in an originals band. 
We weren’t perfect, far from it, and the pre-gig nerves were immense, and near debilitating - I screwed up the opening track which didn’t help matters! But from then on it went well enough and we had a blast. I ended up standing on a table during Killing in the Name, fist bumps all round and the venue would like us back as a stand-alone. 

Couldn’t have gone better! We’re made up! 

b5631fd6-c030-4591-adde-627498539811.jpeg

Well done, sir!  It looks as if a great time was had by all, and now you're back in it.  I've just done the same and I'm stoked to be onstage again, too.  Here's to many more for your band.

• Like 2

Local boozer gig. All in all great! First half was OK, the second (we only managed a 5 min break) was ripping! I always play a P but decided to try my Ric first and I love it but things weren't flowing like they normally do. I guess I didn't have my "comfortable slippers" on and felt a bit edgy. Maybe that's why the first half wasn't so good, to me anyway.

Got offered a gig elsewhere out of it so that's a plus too :)

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Didn't they used to play The Nags Head ?

😎

I think that was a bit before my time in Wycombe;  the Nag's Head was The Pride at that time.  I remember The Mafia playing at the Belle Vue, the Iron Duke and... somewhere else.  John had a mk2 Wal, as I remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

I think that was a bit before my time in Wycombe;  the Nag's Head was The Pride at that time.  I remember The Mafia playing at the Belle Vue, the Iron Duke and... somewhere else.  John had a mk2 Wal, as I remember.

I think he meant this Nag's Head:

horse-head.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Was that The Old Post Office? Most of my band is based around Cleckheaton but I'm in Cas and our guitarist is near Normanton so I'm on the hunt for potential venues in the Five Towns.

No it was at the crows nest club in Upton. Nice place, very friendly.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Matamp ?

😎

Nope, it’s the drummers set up. The PA is Dynacord, not sure on the cabs but they’ve had a hard life with this band. The back up set up is mine and the guitarists, HK, but it’s not really up to handling an electronic kit .

• Like 1

After last weekend's care home and army barracks weirdness, Saturday night saw a wlecome return to normality for Rascallion with a gig at one of our regular village hall venues.

As we soundchecked in front of the folks running the bar and the kitchen, we did wonder how many people might actually turn up as there were a couple of multi-band events plus a 1940's Weekend (a major attraction in these parts) taking place no more than 20 miles away, but fortunately folks started arriving at about 7pm to partake of the food, then stayed on to listen to us when we fired up at 8pm.

The first set saw possibly the best onstage sound we've ever had, which was a great confidence booster, and everything went swimmingly. Oddly, it seemed to go to pot two numbers in to the second set, despite nothing being changed on the desk (at least not by human hands... 👻 ), but we muddled through, and overall it turned into probably our best (and definitely sweatiest) show so far. The new numbers getting their first public airing (nothing too adventurous, just Before You Accuse Me, Tush and Sharp Dressed Man) went down well, while the only major off-piste moment was Mr Singer forgetting the second half of verse two in Mary Jane's Last Dance and jumping straight into the chorus, but we all somehow caught up with him before it all went too horribly wrong.

Next up in two weeks (August Bank Holiday Sunday) is another return visit, this time outdoors at a local pub we've played at twice before. Apparently they've now got full marquee coverage over the beer garden, so hopefully we'll avoid the weather-driven ebbing and flowing crowd we experienced the last time we played there should it be at all iffy on the day. 🤞

• Like 11

Great gig at the bank vaults Aberystwyth last night. We're a 5 piece band and the stage is very small so i was overspilling into the main path to the toilets. It sounds rough but it's a lovely little bar where the punters go for the music and really listen. we had a great time. Our regular drummer couldn't make it but the stand in did great after just 2 rehearsals and kept us all on our toes with his radically different approach to each song. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Jealously reading everyone's gig reports - holidays etc. means no gigs until 1st Sept, last one was July 22nd.  I'd better get a bass out and play it, lest I forget which way round to hold it or something...

Me too. After doing 5 gigs in 3 days at the Dereham Blues Festival at the beginning of July, I then fell ill, ending up spending 10 days in hospital on a drip and intravenous antibiotics. This meant I missed a three hour gig with the blues band I play in; one of our favourite local venues. They had to get a dep in to fill my slot on bass and apparently he did worryingly well. Now trying to get fit enough to manage a two hour gig with the covers band I play in at the end of August. Part of the recovery involves getting over a broken rib, which makes it really uncomfortable to sling a bass for any length of time. All character forming stuff!

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Played at the Old Vaults in Faversham last night, which was a new venue for us.

It was our first gig for a month or so after a break over summer. It went very well, and hopefully we will be back there again. Someone asked us if we would play at their wedding next year! A nice compliment to get, hopefully he still feels the same when the beer has worn off.

It was my first time using IEMs as well which was a positive experience. I have just had my bass professionally set up, and that sounded great as well.

Some tensions are arising in the band around commitments to upcoming gigs. A member is experiencing grief on the domestic front so is pushing to cancel some upcoming gigs, and scale down the amount of gigs we do going forward, which the rest of us are not keen to do, especially cancelling gigs which is not cool. So will have to see how the situation pans out.

744C9351-3B52-4EB1-86C6-E26540039862.jpeg

54E5F7B7-3629-490A-95E7-9B0A2AAF740F.jpeg

• Like 14

Still enjoying my Flea bass as we (Otis Jay Blues Band) celebrated ten years of Southbourne Ales, the beer brewed at Poole Hill brewery in Bournemouth this Sunday afternoon. 

The Trace Elf/Barefaced One10 combination really seems to sing with this particular instrument - drummer and guitarist have expressed a preference over other passive Fenders and active Sandberg.  So better keep them satisfied. 😀 The singer is in his own world…and as you can see from my expression I am not impressed by the music stand!

IMG_4530.thumb.jpeg.1d5e6049a059d1a21ab09c862a2711d8.jpeg

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

Played at the Old Vaults in Faversham last night, which was a new venue for us.

It was our first gig for a month or so after a break over summer. It went very well, and hopefully we will be back there again. Someone asked us if we would play at their wedding next year! A nice compliment to get, hopefully he still feels the same when the beer has worn off.

It was my first time using IEMs as well which was a positive experience. I have just had my bass professionally set up, and that sounded great as well.

Some tensions are arising in the band around commitments to upcoming gigs. A member is experiencing grief on the domestic front so is pushing to cancel some upcoming gigs, and scale down the amount of gigs we do going forward, which the rest of us are not keen to do, especially cancelling gigs which is not cool. So will have to see how the situation pans out.

744C9351-3B52-4EB1-86C6-E26540039862.jpeg

54E5F7B7-3629-490A-95E7-9B0A2AAF740F.jpeg

Worth discussing arranging a dep for the gigs he won’t do and going forwards finding a permanent replacement.

• Like 4

Biker club in Dagenham on saturday afternoon. We were a singer down and a dep drummer (Kelly, one of my oldest friends from school with whom we formed our first band when I was 16 and he was 14 - he later turned pro for while as a session drummer).  

Pretty easy gig. Classic rock covers and I got to sing lead on a couple of songs to give Jenny a break.  But the weather was temperamental - it started raining whilst we were setting up under the marquee, and got a little chilly during our set. Unfortunately, we had to cut the second set shorts. We were asked at very late notice if we could start earlier as the band on after us had another gig in the evening ("Dennis and Dave" - Dennis being Dennis Stratton of Iron Maiden fame). We thought we were ready to go around 15mins early, but we had a problem with the desk. It took 15mins to work out it was a dodgy aux lead feeding the IEM.  Still, we started as soon as possible, with a quick wee break in the middle and carried on till 3pm with no problems and we played well.

We packed down in record time and the sun came out just as Dennis And Dave started playing, so they had a bigger audience than us. Oh well.

• Like 13

15 hours ago, markbunney said:

I'd look into finding a dep for that member if I were you. You can keep your busy gig schedule and the band member getting grief from home can relax knowing his spot is safe. You really don't want to get the reputation of the band that cancels gigs.

• Like 2

Aaaarghhh. Another mini festival gig ruined by the hire company. Too much through the subs so overwhelming bass out front and impossibly poor on stage monitoring. We were promised an in ear mix only to be told they only had one lead available and that had been given to the drummer. Not prepared to give me the feed from the floor monitor. We have an electric kit so poor monitoring is a real problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

A double header on Saturday just gone for Turnette Doone aka my lot; outdoors at the Chard Rocks Festival at 1:20pm, then indoors at the Black Horse in Taunton in the evening.

Chard Rocks was beset by intermittent rain, but at least it got rid of the wasps. We started playing just after the rain had stopped, and thought all was well, until the wind lifted the waterproof stage covering and a waterfall-esque torrent of rainwater that had been sitting on the covering plunged down onto the front six feet of the stage, fortunately missing us and the pedalboards. Think Duran Duran and The Reflex video, but without the glamour. We promptly moved further back, and managed to stay dry, and also alive, for the rest of the set. We didn't really make use of the 'semi-personalised mobile green room', pictured below. 

The Black Horse gig that evening was cracking, and drier, bar the perspiration that was flying around. The crowd were well up for it, and all the big choons worked well. 

All things considered, a great day, and a green room experience we can reflect on, in our old age.

image.png.5cfee5192755ddd1397a101b9f3ca8a7.png

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Aaaarghhh. Another mini festival gig ruined by the hire company. Too much through the subs so overwhelming bass out front and impossibly poor on stage monitoring. We were promised an in ear mix only to be told they only had one lead available and that had been given to the drummer. Not prepared to give me the feed from the floor monitor. We have an electric kit so poor monitoring is a real problem.

As a band, we've recently dipped out toes into IEM. We're all generally happy with the same mix, but have a mix of wired (P2) and wireless (Xivive U4 packs. Our solution is a simple passive xlr splitter. Packing one of those for our gig could have been a useful solution to your monitoring issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

As a band, we've recently dipped out toes into IEM. We're all generally happy with the same mix, but have a mix of wired (P2) and wireless (Xivive U4 packs. Our solution is a simple passive xlr splitter. Packing one of those for our gig could have been a useful solution to your monitoring issue.

How are you getting on with the xvive? We find they either interfere with wifi based mixers or we get poor reception in about half the venues? Give over to wired p2 more now

• Like 1