Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

47 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What's the band name. Why was the Bathgate gig cancelled. Its just 30mins from me and a great venue. Assuming its Bathgate in Scotland of course.

Dave

Yes it was Bathgate in Scotland. It was for In Isolation, Gothzilla and Feather Trade. Apparently the venue had pulled the plug because they'd only sold two tickets for the gig. Personally I'm not sure how relevant that is. I wouldn't buy advance tickets for the sorts of gigs that we play (unless it is supporting someone very well-known), but simply turn up on the night. Maybe I'm too old-school to get it?

Edited by BigRedX
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Yes it was Bathgate in Scotland. It was for In Isolation, Gothzilla and Feather Trade. Apparently the venue had pulled the plug because they'd only sold two tickets for the gig. Personally I'm not sure how relevant that is. I wouldn't buy advance tickets for the sorts of gigs that we play (unless it is supporting someone very well-known), but simply turn up on the night. Maybe I'm too old-school to get it?

I've played there quite a few times. The punk band doesn't pull in a huge crowd maybe 30-50 on a Fri night and 60-80 on a Sat night. Fri night is a hit or a miss.

Glam covers band tends to fill the place now that we've played it a few times.

I've never known them to pull a gig as they do rely on street traffic paying at the door on the night especially these days with covid still hovering around.

Sorry to hear  it was pulled.

What night were playing. ?

Dave

Earl Haig on Sunday. One of those odd 6pm gigs... a few faces I'd hoped for cried off, but I reckon we had about 80-90 people in, which isn't bad.

A guy bought two of our live CDs. I lent him my pen and he got the guitarist to sign them 🤣 Photo by Tim James.

image.thumb.png.afb1e7a5532fa498d79e99afa2e3c53b.png

• Like 13

Here we are playing Valerie at Jam night on Thursday.  It was the opening gig for McAfferty’s St. Patrick’s weekend in Epsom.  They do a good job of putting live music on.  I don’t think it’s my best work but we enjoyed the night.  

• Like 4

New quartet this afternoon working on having fun with some jazz tunes. We have played together in other bands but this is a new group with piano, vibes, drums and me on EUB. After a few rehearsals things are starting to come together and we might even play a few gigs at some point.

Tonight was the seven piece swing band, we're getting ready for a gig at the end of April and adding some interesting arrangements to out folders, a good workout and some good music.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've played there quite a few times. The punk band doesn't pull in a huge crowd maybe 30-50 on a Fri night and 60-80 on a Sat night. Fri night is a hit or a miss.

Glam covers band tends to fill the place now that we've played it a few times.

I've never known them to pull a gig as they do rely on street traffic paying at the door on the night especially these days with covid still hovering around.

Sorry to hear  it was pulled.

What night were playing. ?

Dave

We were supposed to be playing this coming Saturday. Gothzilla are reasonably local although they do play support at almost every vaguely goth/industrial gig in the Edinburgh and Glasgow area so maybe they are over-exposed. We're from Nottingham and Feather Trade are on tour in the UK from Athens Georgia, so not necessarily well known in Scotland. I'm begining to wonder if the venue has made a booking mistake and were looking for an excuse to get out of it?

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

Just now, BigRedX said:

We were supposed to be playing this coming Saturday. Gothzilla are reasonably local although they do play support at almost every vaguely goth/industrial gig in the Edinburgh and Glasgow area so maybe they are over-exposed. We're from Nottingham and Feather Trade are on tour in the UK from Athens Georgia, so not necessarily well known in Scotland. I'm being to wonder if the venue has made a booking mistake and were looking for an excuse to get out of it?

Its not like them to make a booking mistake. Alan runs a tight ship there. Its rated one of THE best pub venues. 

I'm not sure whether he makes a call on a certain number of tickets being sold whether its called off or not. 

He doesn't muck bands about and is usually up front.

I've found him one of the nicest owners / managers i've dealt with over the years i've been playing. Even with the punk band that first gig was reasonably quiet he was fine with it.

He takes a percentage of the door money to cover some of the staff costs. Apart from bar staff he also has door staff and sound engineer to pay. Maybe with it being a Sat night he expected it to be busier.

I know the punk stuff is a small dedicated audience and i'm assuming its the same with Goth style music. Dreadnought has always been more a rock venue over the years. He stopped the punk bands on a Sat night because audiences just weren't returning after pandemic but they are picking up a bit now and that's why he put us on a Sat night few weeks back.

We were lucky that a large group of Blue Angels turned up at the punk gig. We play one of their club houses and we assumed they had come along to see us with a view playing other club houses. Had it not been for them it would have looked a bit emptier LOL

Dave

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 02:03, Bluewine said:

Not our best performance but we put on an honest fun Maple Road show. Our first lead guitarist had a fantastic night. Me, I made more than one mistake. We recorded the evening live.

The best part was this very cool intimate venue. This guy turned his old 3 story Victorian home into a a little concert hall with a full size bar. BYOBB ( bring your own brown bag ). 

Plenty of cool couches sofas and davenports and a section with theatre type seating.

This might seem shallow, however I did enjoy the attention during our break. I like and enjoy that people I don't know want to talk to me only because I played. If I look at my life on the whole, other than my playing there's no real reason anyone would want to talk to me.😀

Great crowd and all ages. The place was packed , looked like about 125 people.

Very lucrative gig.

Acoustic gig toda at The Ziegler Winery, 1-3.

Blue

FB_IMG_1679152200145.jpg

Found this from Saturday night.

For you classic blues fans, " Crossroads"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0jzH6sJTkssHXSZz1XhpXeA2C1tzofSktfJ6DgTkFDvotrfBaQ9caZ3my5vpWbwEAl&id=100008861322447&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=RUbZ1f

Blue

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice Daryl, enjoyed that. Jack Bruce was one of my bass influences altho more so from his solo material with likes of Cozy Powell etc.

I was playing that in a well known Glasgow venue in 80's with a 3 piece band when suddenly the drummer and singer/guitarist decided to stop and announce a bass solo from their new bass player. I was mortified but muddled thru and got a decent round of applause afterwards. I warned them not to put me on the spot like that again or i'd be out the door.

I was using a WAL freless at that time so it allowed me to improvise a lot easier.

I preferred playing it or any songs without bass solo's. I find bass or drum solo's boring unless its Neil Peart or Geddy Lee of course :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

...Found this from Saturday night ...

Not a Facebook user, so can't see stuff posted this way. Never mind; thanks for trying. :$

(If anyone has means of posting this in another format, I'd be interested :friends: ...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice Daryl, enjoyed that. Jack Bruce was one of my bass influences altho more so from his solo material with likes of Cozy Powell etc.

I was playing that in a well known Glasgow venue in 80's with a 3 piece band when suddenly the drummer and singer/guitarist decided to stop and announce a bass solo from their new bass player. I was mortified but muddled thru and got a decent round of applause afterwards. I warned them not to put me on the spot like that again or i'd be out the door.

I was using a WAL freless at that time so it allowed me to improvise a lot easier.

I preferred playing it or any songs without bass solo's. I find bass or drum solo's boring unless its Neil Peart or Geddy Lee of course :laugh1:

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Jenny calls me out to solo on the spur of the moment. I'm not very good at soloing.

Daryl 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Long narrative.

Me , Jenny and Dave left for Malone WI to do a 1-4 acoustic set at The Ziegler Winery. It was an hour commute one way, however it was a bright sunny fun drive in the country.

The Ziegler Winery is relatively new and they book allot of live music. We're taking the full Maple Road band up there this summer to play their outside stage.

The place was all class. Outstanding staff, cool people I spoke with one of the managers. Very attractive and you could tell she understands the whole being in band thing.

Upscale well heeled generous patrons. Plenty of space for the band and easy load in.

There was a couple from Milwaukee that came to our Maple Road show Saturday night at Rockfield Live that drove all the way up to the Winery to see the acoustic stuff.

I thought I played better than I did the night before.

Good gig.

Blue

20230319_144615.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Works for me too. Well, in my head. I sometimes stop or go off beat too. Usually so that I can catch up with myself. But I always remember to smile and repeat it so it doesn't look like a mistake. 😃

Aha so you've been doing the jazz version of what i do.....................NICE !!!!!!

Dave

• Haha 1