Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

24 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Just noticed, for some reason it didn't post the text I'd added....

Was just saying, we love the Biker rallies - we were worried when we did our first one in 2018 but the crowd loved it.  We've even ended up doing Bay City Rollers stuff in the sets for them which we were sure they'd hate.  We'll be doing a couple of MAG/NABD rallies this year in Cheshire and North Yorkshire and we can't wait!

We're starting to see a few more Glam bands crop up around here, some seem to have 'adopted' the sets we had on our website.....but generally speaking there's plenty of work for the genre and we don't have to go looking for it.  The secret is a good front man who likes to act and dress up like a tart as well as sing!  

Your post was attached to the bottom of the last pic as if i had written it for some weird reason.

Dave

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

But that's a result!  Why?  If the manager got a roasting from the CEO, they're unlikely to muck you about again.  I get that principles are expensive but this sounds like a noseless face to me.

The band had come to the end of its life by that point for assorted reasons.  It was our last gig.  Or, rather, it wasn't. :D 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our male singer has been doing a solo Glam act for many years and our drummer was in The Glitter Band in 90's era and has played some huge stadiums. He was good friends with The Sweet back in the day and even had some lessons from the amazing Mick Tucker. I think he lived near Steve Priest altho he was a good bit younger than them.

Our guitarist had been doing the Glam thing for 13yrs until their singer left for NZ.

We started in 2018 but took a year faffing about trying different keys but gave up on them and settled for Lynn who was the singer in the punk covers band i'm now in too. We benefited far more with Lynn sharing vocals with Mickee than we ever got from keys. Keys players are an odd bunch.

We were just getting things all sorted and gigs coming in when BAM covid struck and it all stopped. Not enough time to get a following yet so started from scratch last year again.

I did play in Hot Love from Glasgow who have been doing the Glam covers thing for many years too. I was there 17th bass player LOL Great guys but they wanted to gig 2-3 times a week and i had just retired from work and found it all a bit too much. Learned their set in 3 weeks, no rehearsals as singers Dad passed away just after i joined. After 7-8 days i was told a lot of the songs were in different keys from originals and had to redo them, then after first 2 gigs that weekend they asked me to learn another 20 songs within 10 days. Just too much for me i'm afraid i needed a break from learning songs. I still keep in touch with them as they are all really nice guys in Hot Love.

And that is our band history in short :laugh1:

Dave

Seems like Glam bands in the main are a nice social lot.

I joined my band as a dep in late 2016 to help them out as the replacement bass player (the original bassist had had a heart attack) needed an hernia op. My 80s band wasn’t doing much so I filled in for the a couple of months. Like you, knew the songs but most were re-keyed.

Ended up not leaving....

When the big C struck in 2021 I offered my resignation but the lads wouldn’t hear of it and we carry on at a flexible reduced rate of about 40 gigs a year. I aim to keep rocking until I’m in the ground!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Seems like Glam bands in the main are a nice social lot.

I joined my band as a dep in late 2016 to help them out as the replacement bass player (the original bassist had had a heart attack) needed an hernia op. My 80s band wasn’t doing much so I filled in for the a couple of months. Like you, knew the songs but most were re-keyed.

Ended up not leaving....

When the big C struck in 2021 I offered my resignation but the lads wouldn’t hear of it and we carry on at a flexible reduced rate of about 40 gigs a year. I aim to keep rocking until I’m in the ground!

Yep 100% agree. Hope all is good with the big C and you've beaten that into the ground.

Dave

• Like 3

On 25/02/2023 at 17:27, dmccombe7 said:

I've found that slower natural moving as if you're doing something around the house looks more professional than simply jumping about like an idiot or a flee on heat.

Sway with the beat, take a few steps forward or back every now and again, If you have a big enough stage walk over to the guitarist for a little status quo style swing. Dont rush about like a demented dog, just take your time and it'll look as tho you know what you're doing.

This is only my own observations i've picked up in recent years. I used to be called a John Entwhistle clone glued to floor looking at my bass neck all the time and so focused. Now i just enjoy what i'm doing, i know the songs well enough i'm not concentrating all the time and i've been using the same VM4 bass for past 4 yrs so i'm used to the neck.

PS I'm no expert in stage movements and if you're in a younger band i'd expect a more erratic style of movement. Age plays a big part. I'm not getting any younger LOL

Dave

I have just watched last night’s church service back.  I had the 1st 2 paragraphs in mind - minus the Quo bit as I tend to do my wandering in the direction of the drummer (we didn’t have one last night and the guitarist was also the lead vocal).  Looking at the video, it seemed to work.  Thank you.  (I hope the missus didn’t clock the bit about doing stuff round the house though - unintended consequences and all that😁).

Age wise I’m a (relatively) fit 55, but not fit enough that I fancy trusting my hamstrings to an on stage pogo - or a “Shadows shuffle” for that matter.

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

They clearly never thought Newcastle would get that far.  15 minute setup?  You must have us confused with "Instant band in a box, just add water".

I'd say very few bars and restaurants understand the business from our perspective.

The Harley Motor blocks off special parking for bands, they greet you and drinks and meals are comped for the band. They get it.

Blue

• Like 8

On 27/02/2023 at 10:26, neepheid said:

Even happened to me once with the covers band (minus the unpaid bit). Booked to play at the social club of a football team out in the sticks. Due to a toxic combination of other stuff going on in the town and a lack of promotion (maybe they thought they didn't have to), absolutely no-one turned up. Not a sausage. Played the first set to 2 bar staff. At half time they told us we could just stop, but paid us anyway.

We had a three-sunday-in-a-row residency. A combination of weather and no students saw us playing to handfuls of people. We still got paid, the bar staff loved us, as did the small quota of punters (several of them bought merch!)

Can't have blamed us as on their recommendation we got booked at another branch of the chain and played to an almost full room.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'd say very few bars and restaurants understand the business from our perspective.

The Harley Motor blocks off special parking for bands, they greet you and drinks and meals are comped for the band. They get it.

Blue

We once got a Mark's and Spencers sandwich and a bag of crisps (sorry - chips Daryl) at a gig in Accrington.  It was the least they could do as we were on the wrong side of the Pennines 😉

• Like 3

Unfortunately all of the band except myself and Lynn have now got covid after the bike rally gig on Sat night. Since heard that quite a few had it from the Fri. 

I had it 10 days ago but all clear tests Fri & Sat morning meant it wasn't me that passed it on.

Looks like our private birthday party gig this Sat night will be cancelled.

Dave

Have to say it was no worse than a head cold for me and no serious symptoms and what i did have lasted 1-2 days.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

22 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

If it were me Dave I`d refrain from barging in there shouting "you dirty diseased biker scum". Just saying 🤣

Probably good advice. I'll not bother then. Those guys were seriously lucky you talked me out of that. :hi::laugh1:

Our singer Lynn knows them all and was there from the Fri - Sun and said some already had the virus symptoms on the Fri night.

We played it last year on the Fri night and she caught the virus then too but rest of us were fine.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Reminds me of the time I played with the KISS tribute at a biker rally the day after Dumpy's Rusty Nuts had played (& stayed over). Our dressing room was the old caravan that Dumpy had stayed in overnight.... man that thing STUNK.... sweat, leather, alcohol and the WORST tramp smell you've ever encountered....

How we didn't catch anything is beyond me! 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, cetera said:

Reminds me of the time I played with the KISS tribute at a biker rally the day after Dumpy's Rusty Nuts had played (& stayed over). Our dressing room was the old caravan that Dumpy had stayed in overnight.... man that thing STUNK.... sweat, leather, alcohol and the WORST tramp smell you've ever encountered....

Sounds more like Dumpy's Musty Nuts !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2023 at 09:42, martthebass said:

We once got a Mark's and Spencers sandwich and a bag of crisps (sorry - chips Daryl) at a gig in Accrington.  It was the least they could do as we were on the wrong side of the Pennines 😉

Lol, I actually know what crisps are.

Daryl

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, cetera said:

Show business is so glamorous. Lol

Blue

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2023 at 03:47, dmccombe7 said:

You're just making me so jealous now Daryl. :laugh1:

Dave

Lol, ever been through this one. It's the end of the evening and time to settle up with the pay. The owner or manager is not there and the staff knows nothing about the pay?

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Lol, ever been through this one. It's the end of the evening and time to settle up with the pay. The owner or manager is not there and the staff knows nothing about the pay?

Daryl

Not just as bad as that altho we had one venue the first time i played it with the band. The owner had gone home and the staff asked us how much we get paid. Unfortunately the band are regulars there and always get paid same amount and we are an honest bunch. :laugh1:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

Having to chase someone for the money at the end of the night is a bummer, but over here it

happens all too often. New methods of payment like Event UK do prevent this. but then 

involves a wait until the payment is transferred. 
We do a couple of regular gigs in a pub and café restaurant and they always pay us promptly,

often when we arrive. Saves all that hassle when packing down, and is much more civilised.

In my old band, wedding gigs were the worst. For some reason, people didn’t seem to like

paying the band until the end of the evening, as if they were waiting to see how we went

down with the audience before releasing the cash. Really annoying as most folk were

usually pretty drunk by this time -once had to go and wake up the best man in a hotel

to get paid! (Made even more annoying by the fact that everyone else involved in the 

wedding - venue, caterers, cake makers etc had been paid months before.)

If we do weddings now we insist on payment two weeks prior to the event. Not had

anyone question it yet so happy days.

• Like 4

First time Bandeoke at a music pub in Bristol. Went very well and was done at a cut price as it was the first time he'd tried it. But even then no cash at the end of the night.

I shall wait to see if it's forthcoming before naming and shaming.

Gear wise I went armed only with the TC Electronic 2x8 can I bought from @Stealth of this parish, thinking pub gig that'll do. Turned out to be a deep stage and a big space. Thank goodness our man Stealth had souped up the cab with some powerful speakers turning it into a 4ohm cab. I was running the little beast almost flat out and it coped admirably.

• Like 2