Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 hours ago, msb said:

Halifax , Nova Scotia and we’ve got an ice storm on the way. Freezing rain and ice pellets , I’m thankful I don’t have to drive anywhere tonight. 

Take care those ice storms sound scary and from what i've seen on our news are very dangerous.

Dave

Had one of our best gigs ever last night at the Butchers Arms in Inverurie.  First half was a bit quiet (although there were still folk up dancing) but in the second half it got really busy because an event finished in a nearby venue and a bunch of people came in to continue their night. Bar was packed, had to rescue a PA speaker and some lights one time and one person nearly became part of the drumset but it was a lot of fun anyway. Got a three song "one more tune". I heard we're getting some repeat custom (people who've seen us before and came down in order to see us). Loads of great feedback. Two different people came up and told me they enjoyed my playing specifically. All in all, one of the best nights we've ever had.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I do full band and acoustic too. What's it like in your neck of the woods, is it easier to book the acoustic gigs?

Blue

Honestly I have nothing to do with that side of things so I have no idea! We're generally playing venues that are geared up for full bands, we just did the acoustic thing to give the fans something different, or at least that's what I was told when I begged for a floor tom :)

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Take care those ice storms sound scary and from what i've seen on our news are very dangerous.

Dave

We were lucky , minimal power outages because of ice on the lines.
Good thick layer of ice on the cars though. Glad I wasn’t out driving in it last night. 

• Like 1

Had a great time last night playing the first gig since we changed our band name. We have been so busy writing a new album that we haven’t gigged since July last year. 

felt really good to be back out and playing live. I’m always worried I might lose the passion for playing live but thankfully it is still there. 

we played at club 85 in Hitchin and I used my preamp / cab sim combo for the first time. I was very happy with the ease of it all.

A quick screengrab from an Instagram video someone uploaded:

FFF59EAC-71C6-457F-BF35-9145A92BB32F.thumb.jpeg.e2f3368d9d9577aee569a6380d9f8737.jpeg

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Wilson_51_ said:

Had a great time last night playing the first gig since we changed our band name. We have been so busy writing a new album that we haven’t gigged since July last year. 

felt really good to be back out and playing live. I’m always worried I might lose the passion for playing live but thankfully it is still there. 

we played at club 85 in Hitchin and I used my preamp / cab sim combo for the first time. I was very happy with the ease of it all.

A quick screengrab from an Instagram video someone uploaded:

FFF59EAC-71C6-457F-BF35-9145A92BB32F.thumb.jpeg.e2f3368d9d9577aee569a6380d9f8737.jpeg

Smoke machine on point!

• Like 1

Posted this in the wrong thread last night but it was very late.

Just home from a great night in The Dreadnought in Bathgate with the punk band Emergency Exit. 

Turned out to be busier than we expected. Helped a fair bit by a crowd of Blue Angels appearing to see us. Not sure if they were at the last gig we did in one of their club houses or were just on a night out but the owner said he's never seen them in there before. Maybe more gigs at their other club houses who knows.

Feedback was fantastic and the cream of the crop comment was that a guy had 2 tickets for Belinda Carlisle in Edinburgh tonight but when he heard we were playing and covering Ramones songs he wanted to see us. Now that was nice of him. Those tickets cost him £34 each he said.

Usual phone vids being taken.

All in all i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dave 

• Like 12

Long music day yesterday. First rehearsal with the prog band (Epsilon) in getting on two years during the day and remembered most of it. Slightly increased bass pit, but didn’t bother with the acoustic on a stand or extra keyboard 🤣

Home for a couple of hours kip then out for a bit of classic rock with The Alibi at a new venue for us. Next to no room so used the FPPR Status as a few knocks wouldn’t matter.

Had a great night with the best overall sound in a while. I could probably have been up a bit more in the mix, but didn’t want to touch the stage level and get into volume wars.

All good with the Darkglass Microtubes after it was back following some top customer service (picked it up secondhand from an auction and it went pop after one gig, I had no recourse to the auction house so emailed Darkglass to ask for a UK service centre and the said “send it back to us and we’ll sort it” and they did 😁). Four hours prog rehearsal and two hours gig in the evening and still cooking with gas. I do need to experiment with the settings but liking it. I should probably let one of the other amps go now as five is starting to become overkill 🤣

909067B4-0630-42D0-9BD8-6770A3F041BC.jpeg

18CA8462-FF6D-4B2E-9773-CE5CC3349DAF.jpeg

• Like 8

On 18/02/2023 at 08:24, Mickeyboro said:

D22E63FF-1202-4A0C-A30A-3190146573A9.thumb.jpeg.035571229f17e8329025df5880534858.jpegDF72744A-EB1B-4D16-B85E-34A80EA9B59F.thumb.jpeg.e5115de70fecc1dc22b6503702d0b182.jpegPlayed an old Methodist Meeting House in Ringwood, Hampshire, with the Otis Jay Blues Band.

Fantastic venue, and our fans drank it dry of beer. We will be back!

My rig by the way was Elf into Barefaced One10. Staggering !!!

• Like 2

Choked played the Dark Horse in Moseley, Birmingham last night...

Not many folks turned up (30 or so) which was a shame as all 3 bands (including us!) were on fire... Not literally, of course as that would have been a bit too exciting.

It was also the 1st gig we used the Tourbus (Vivaro van) which meant I could have a whole 3 pints of Real Ale and enjoy the other bands. After we'd played our guitarist had rather too many, plus rum'n'cokes, and chucked up outside (the shame!).

Still, highly recommend Ünhang from Brighton; loads of energy, tight as and musically interesting as well as being rockin'.

Here's us though, more importantly:

ChokedBhamBass.jpg

ChokedBhamSam18-2-23.jpg

• Like 8

Jam night on Thursday was fun.  This was the 1st time the 4 of us had all played together (we had a run through but weren’t all able to make it).  We had a load of people singing along, which is always a good sign.

I also picked up another slot on the night.  It was with a couple of guys who I was supposed to play with in December, but who pulled out with about 2hours notice.  They changed the set list at least twice during the night, but 2 of the 3 were ones I’d learned for December.  Oddly the one we played best was the one I’d never even heard before getting up on stage (Walking the Dog).  That may have been because it was the last of the 3, or because one of the others had sorted out his guitar tuning issues.  The drummer thanked the 3 of us at the end for letting him play as it was the 1st time he’d ever played live; none of us knew it was his 1st time, he played well; I hope he enjoyed it and comes again.

If you fancy listening to a bit of it there is 20s on my insta account https://www.instagram.com/reel/Co2Nn5lhx03/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

….or for full song versions to 2 of them they are on my YouTube channel Simon-C (unless I get a strike).

DBFD83D5-0933-4838-9F22-43B63D1B1A31.jpeg

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Nice try, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of 'Simon C' in there. I scrolled through pages of 'em; couldn't recognise anything that could be yours. A link, maybe..?

https://youtu.be/XvA7fMIPt5s

https://youtu.be/b9PQ781cem4

Thanks for being interested in looking.  Hopefully the 2 of them work.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Sounds good but you need to get lead vocals up a bit in the mix. Guitar bass and drums all pretty much balanced.

Unusual bass too, good to see something a little different from the usual P & J basses. 👍

Nice one.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon C said:

They do indeed; thanks. I'd echo the previous post; I suppose it's an audio feed from the camera, but the poor lass's voice is all but inaudible in the video. Hopefully the venue got a better mix..? The drummer will improve in time if he gets to play 'live' more often, to loosen up a little and 'lock' with the other instruments. For a first public appearance, though, I'd say 'Chapeau..!'. Thanks for sharing. R91KekF.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

Yeah, nice one.

Extra points, too, for none of you being afflicted with the need to wear a hat indoors. 😆

Is that a thing these days...........wearing hats on stage ? Come to think of it our drummer in the Glam band wears one now and again. Bay City Rollers Tartan of course. :hi:

Dave :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that a thing these days...........wearing hats on stage ? Come to think of it our drummer in the Glam band wears one now and again. Bay City Rollers Tartan of course. :hi:

Dave :laugh1:

Back in the day we had a ' Bass players in hats' thread 🤠

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Back in the day we had a ' Bass players in hats' thread 🤠

Jings i think i vaguely remember seeing that title. At my age the memory can be flawed at times. I used to remember things i'd forgotten but now i forget things i remembered. :laugh1:

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sounds good but you need to get lead vocals up a bit in the mix. Guitar bass and drums all pretty much balanced.

Unusual bass too, good to see something a little different from the usual P & J basses. 👍

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

They do indeed; thanks. I'd echo the previous post; I suppose it's an audio feed from the camera, but the poor lass's voice is all but inaudible in the video. Hopefully the venue got a better mix..? The drummer will improve in time if he gets to play 'live' more often, to loosen up a little and 'lock' with the other instruments. For a first public appearance, though, I'd say 'Chapeau..!'. Thanks for sharing. R91KekF.gif

Re the mix: the host band set up and have the desk on stage.  So I think we get whatever they think the mix should be, and whatever adjustments they make between sets.  Vocals did sound a bit quieter than the December one, but I had purchased a set of those stage ear plugs because the mix was so loud in December - so my ears aren’t really a fair comparison.

Yes the bass is funky.  It’s an Ibanez EHB1000S.  Being a 30” scale, headless and a chambered body it’s light.  So it’s good for Jam night where we have a small stage and I might have to walk home.

The drummer isn’t the one who hadn’t played live before.  This one has and is a good drummer, he just hasn’t played for a while and hadn’t practised with us.  I’m fine with that though. I think we all strive to be tight, but as it’s a jam night having fun probably takes precedence.😀

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Yeah, nice one.

Extra points, too, for none of you being afflicted with the need to wear a hat indoors. 😆

I did wear a hat for a while.  I think I did 2 piano gigs in it and 1 depping gig on bass.  Piano is acceptable when some of the audience can see the back of my head (it looks daft), but less excusable on bass when they can’t.  A number 1 shave a day or so before the gig is fine I think.😀

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1