Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Merry XMas Everybody and Mud's Lonely this XMas for us.  We're also doing a song written by our drummer that has been recorded by 70s band Hello called Glam Christmas Fever that was released last month.  Not sure how it'll  go down as it hasn't had airplay on the major stations (shame as it's very catchy) but we'll enjoy it anyhow.  We did do Wombling Mery XMas last year - not going back there.....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Merry XMas Everybody and Mud's Lonely this XMas for us.  We're also doing a song written by our drummer that has been recorded by 70s band Hello called Glam Christmas Fever that was released last month.  Not sure how it'll  go down as it hasn't had airplay on the major stations (shame as it's very catchy) but we'll enjoy it anyhow.  We did do Wombling Mery XMas last year - not going back there.....

Our new guitarist was saying that his last Glam band did Lonely This Xmas and it always went down really well and Wombles song crashed badly.

I really liked the wombles xmas song too so it surprises me it tanked.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

A little old school pub blues jam video with 2 guitar solos from last week.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1150842855802884&id=100000222668845&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=uevf24

Blue

FB_IMG_1669315012054.jpg

Nice Daryl. Sounds like a nice tight band there and a really punchy bass tone too. Is it a 210 or 212 cab you're using there. ?

Enjoyed that.

Dave

• Like 2

On 27/11/2022 at 22:47, Simon C said:

Last night was my first gig since just before Covid (I've played loads in church during that time).  I was depping in an originals and covers band (Hurly Burly).  We did about 15 songs - 3 or 4 originals and the rest covers (Rolling Stones, Housemartins, Beatles, The Clash type people pleasers).  It wasn't a big crowd, but they were in party mood, so there was plenty of dancing and singing going on.  I really enjoyed it. We even got fed😀.

I can hopefully get hold of some decent footage of it.

So, here is some footage: a shortie and a full song (or at least that’s what I intended to post)

https://youtube.com/shorts/MblaVxRpyfo?feature=share

https://youtu.be/LPasmnpUaGk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice Daryl. Sounds like a nice tight band there and a really punchy bass tone too. Is it a 210 or 212 cab you're using there. ?

Enjoyed that.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

The punch comes from the active pre amp on my 1991 G&L ASAT Bass. I just use my GK 1001rb head for volume only. That's a 2 10 RBX cab from GK ( weighs a cubic ton ).

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

The punch comes from the active pre amp on my 1991 G&L ASAT Bass. I just use my GK 1001rb head for volume only. That's a 2 10 RBX cab from GK ( weighs a cubic ton ).

Daryl

A proper bass cab then :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

Monthly Bandeoke slot last night. The woman who organises and runs it was ill so we relied on the regular punters knowing the score and the landlady running around encouraging other folk to get up.

It wasn't a total disaster.

I played through the souped up TC Electronic 2x8 bought from @Stealthof this parish. He'd basically put in more powerful speakers which turned the cab into a 4ohm mini monster. 

People who've heard me play through every rig imaginable in previous months, came up afterwards to tell me it was the best sound I'd ever had. I said I was concerned a 250 watt amp might not  cut it in such a big room but was told you could feel the bass in your chest right to the back.

So my small rig solution is sorted!

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

Daryl

I was playing a G&L L2000 in the links I posted.  I think the L2K and the Asat have the same circuit.  The G&Ls need more love in the UK - banging basses.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2022 at 10:15, dmccombe7 said:

Our new guitarist was saying that his last Glam band did Lonely This Xmas and it always went down really well and Wombles song crashed badly.

I really liked the wombles xmas song too so it surprises me it tanked.

Dave

I doubt I’ll get a Christmas gig, but the online tutor I subscribe to (James Eager at EBass guitar) is doing a Christmas theme for the monthly competition.  “Wombling Merry Christmas” was on my shortlist, but I think I’ll go for “Run run Rudolph” by Chuck Berry - it’s a 12 bar blues in C so, provided I can keep up with it, it hopefully won’t take much learning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simon C said:

I was playing a G&L L2000 in the links I posted.  I think the L2K and the Asat have the same circuit.  The G&Ls need more love in the UK - banging basses.

The quality of G&L guitars and basses are a well kept secret here in the US too. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1665185961750.jpg

• Like 2

On 01/12/2022 at 17:31, Bluewine said:

A little old school pub blues jam video with 2 guitar solos from last week.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1150842855802884&id=100000222668845&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=uevf24

Blue

FB_IMG_1669315012054.jpg

Lovely sound and nice groove. Refreshing to see a femal lead guitarist too.

• Like 4

Skaville gig in Bradford on Avon last night. Not quite as busy as previous years, only 2 deep at the bar rather than 3 this time :lol: we sounded good and seemed to go down well. @BreadBin came along, nice to see a familiar friendly face! Doing it all over again in Swindon tonight.

The usual gear... Skabass -> Shuttle 9.2 -> Barefaced Super 12T. Sounded feckin massive.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

Skaville gig in Bradford on Avon last night. Not quite as busy as previous years, only 2 deep at the bar rather than 3 this time :lol: we sounded good and seemed to go down well. @BreadBin came along, nice to see a familiar friendly face! Doing it all over again in Swindon tonight.

Whereabouts in BOA?

Had a short notice depending gig with a blues band in Kidlington (near Oxford) last night. I've played with them quite a few times over the years, and it was good to play with them again. Appreciative audience (we played two one hour sets and they still wanted more as we were packing up at a quarter to midnight). Half an hour's drive each way, no complications, slid into bed at two AM.

Used my 2012 US Standard Precision, Orange Little Bass Thing and Barefaced Super Compact - all worked perfectly.

Edited by FinnDave
typo
  • Like 7

We played at Brown Street in Salisbury last night, I really like this venue - it’s nice to see a venue invest when so many seem to be closing, particularly the case in Salisbury.

We rolled out 5 new songs and all seemed well received by the crowd - I rarely used to gig Fridays as found it was always a bit of a rush, but now feel it a good way to kick off the weekend 😊

B78BC264-E45B-453A-95E1-2B85AC2F7572.jpeg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Cool. Not played there yet. I'll rattle their cage again see if they want us.

I’ve tried a couple of times too but seem to call when the relevant person is either really busy or unavailable, I’ve heard it's a good venue and always nice to try and find different places to play 👍🏻😊

• Like 3