Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Friday night, The Tunnels - A/deen. Pearl Jam trib.
Good gig some real PJ fans made it down and filled the mosh pit. An odd bunch - there was a guy in a suit whizzing around and doing that hip-hop spinny thing on his back.
Our singer didn't make it - he was ambulanced into A&E an hour before soundcheck with a violent ear infection which left him with no balance and spewing his ring up all over the place. Luckily for us his identical twin brother (also a rock vocalist) was able to step up. He rushed home and printed out the lyrics for the ones he wasn't sure about and got us to tune down a tone to make getting some of the high notes a bit easier. This in turn meant some of our song that we normally drop D were played in drop C - it sounded odd to us and my strings were hanging off but it worked quite well, although I had a frantic few moment setting up my extender to cope with our pitch change. And when it came to the crunch he did a great job. He said there were a few song where he repeated the same line 14 times. But nobody really noticed. I'll bet that some folk didn't even notice he wasn't our usual singer.
His task wasn't made any easier by the fact that our drummer decided to play everything at twice the speed we normally play at - we normally play a bit faster than the original anyway. I tried to get him to slow down during the first 2 songs but he didn't seem to understand so I had a word during the gap between songs 2 and 3. His reply to me was a defiant and mystifying "Huzzah!". I noticed that he was doing it on purpose when he started catching the front of the beat in the songs that were started by the guitars. He can be a right @ssh@le at times. A few choice words will be said the next time we're all together.
The only other noteworthy point about the night was that I'd given myself a Wattie Buchan style mohawk before the gig which remained in place all night despite a lot of frantic head banging and sweat. I've been growing my hair but it's just been so hot lately I decided to chop it all off. I only did it as a one off for a laugh but it went down so well ('specially with the chicks) that I've kept it.

A great one. A summer party at a friend of the drummer, who lives in a house that overlooks miles and miles of fields. My band and another came together and played all our songs and more in the open air. Sunny all day and we played on into the night. Had to think on my feet, learning tunes on the hoof but it was a real blast. It went so well, it's already in the diary for next year, apparently. So much fun playing in the open air.

Edit: I seem to be pulling a 'bass face'

Edited by stingrayfan

Has this ever happened to you? Booked blind for a gig at a social club in deepest Southampton only to find they assumed we were a 2-3 piece (there's six of us!).

Cue panic phone calls to the (absent) manager who eventually came down and agreeed we could play, depsite taking up a third of the floor space. No-one looked too interested, all eyes on Dr Who on the plasma screens.

Given the club was attached to a church, there was plenty of drink consumed (and bought for the band) and by the end of the evening they were offering us £800 to come back on New Year's Eve! I suspect there were a few hangovers at Mass today...

PS I've never seen two men Riverdancing to Steve Earle's Copperhead Road before, but it worked!

Weird but enjoyable gig as we were not getting paid....the Management are moving out the pub so rang us to cancel but we needed the gig as we are doing a Wedding this evening with a guitar dep as ours is going to see Radiohead.
So an unpaid rehearsal in front of 2 dozen people, but playing with a different guitarist made it quite enjoyable. He's learnt 24 songs in around 2 weeks and nearly all hit the mark.
Singer was stranded in Holmfirth with no transprt so dropped her off after the gig, got home at 13.30 after leaving the pub at 12.00.
We did a version of Valerie too..........

Hd a good one last night in St Helens at Windle Labour Club, The club was nice, people were warm and friendly and the dancefloor was packed. And as an added bonus it was a cash pickup for a change.

They even had a resident trio playing between our sets, keboards, drums and a singer. Not too many clubs left that do this.

Deputised in a former band as their regular chap wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to play with the Jackie Lynton Band along with John Coghlan (Quo's original drummer). It gave me an opportunity to get out and play again with the Micky Kemp Band who now have the amazing Darrell Bath (ex-Ian Hunter, among many) on guitar. He's like a cross between Keith Richards and Wilco Johnson) and knows where he fits in the mix. Interestingly he plays with his amp facing backwards so he can turn it up without deafening the audience.

It was a private party in a 100-year old village hall, so great accoustics, and an ideal opportunity to try out the Orangtino rig. All I can say is wonderful.

As things warmed up the dance floor got heaving but unfortunately the conditions of the music license in the hall meant we had to stop far too early.

Back to how gigging should be though. Fun.

I had two lunch-time gigs this week, on Friday and Saturday. We were playing at a street BBQ, and in both cases we played from 11:00ish to 14:00, getting on for a 3 hr set.

The musicians came together each morning, with no previous rehearsals, and a set list of about 40 songs, in no particular order. The lead singer chose each 'next song' on the fly, including some that were not on the list, and some that were not in the key of the chord charts we had been given.

On the Friday, I could not hear the monitor, which meant that I could hear myself better - on a fretless, that's no bad thing. On Saturday, we had two guitarists, vocals and keyboard coming through the one monitor, and I was struggling to hear what I played. A 200W bass rig in the open is not that loud.

The low point for me was a song where I just watched the keyboard player, and played the lowest notes he played. The most interesting point was where I tried to keep my bass line flowing, and not too repetetive, when we hung on a D chord for about 5 minutes.

It would have been easier if I knew the material, but their 40 songs are a small fraction of the 700-odd that churches have to chose from, and I don't play them often enough to remember them.

The atmosphere is great, and the people are great to work with, but I am always knackered by the end of it.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='228941' date='Jun 29 2008, 11:50 AM']Hd a good one last night in St Helens at Windle Labour Club, The club was nice, people were warm and friendly and the dancefloor was packed. And as an added bonus it was a cash pickup for a change.

They even had a resident trio playing between our sets, keboards, drums and a singer. Not too many clubs left that do this.[/quote]
Good old Windle. Still got the leaking roof in the dressing room? We played there some months back when it was torrential outside, and it wasn't far off that in the dressing room too!

They also still have a sticker on the mirror in there from the band I was in abour 15 years ago ("Itchy Feet"). It just shows how often these places are [b]really[/b] cleaned. :)

Two completely contrasting gigs this weekend.

Friday - RAF High Wycombe - Sergeants summer ball. On with two other acts. An all girl trio called Superdolls, and a six piece party band called Young Guns from Leicester. Young Guns' bass player was a dep, but a really tidy player. Tight as a gnat's chuff and a lovely soun from his G&L L-2500 too.

We weren't on for our first spot til 2.15am!!! And our second was 3.15-4am.

They were up for a right party, and boy did they know how to. We were buzzing off the crowd too. Great gig. They were still partying hard at 5.15am when we left. But Jesus, what a long night. Drove down there from Manchester at lunchtime Friday, and got back home at 8am Saturday morning. Great gig though.

Saturday night - a corporate company do at the Midland Hotel in Manchester. First spot was hard work. I always think corporate events are though. Everyone's too scared to make a tit of themselves. But they were up for it in the second spot. Downsides - the drummer got a parking ticket for parking in a loading bay, and the singer lost his wallet containing all his cards, driving licence and about £300 in cash. That put a real downer on the night.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='229145' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:13 PM']Good old Windle. Still got the leaking roof in the dressing room? We played there some months back when it was torrential outside, and it wasn't far off that in the dressing room too!

They also still have a sticker on the mirror in there from the band I was in abour 15 years ago ("Itchy Feet"). It just shows how often these places are [b]really[/b] cleaned. :)[/quote]

Probably did, there were lots of stickers as per usual. Itchy feet, now why does that name ring a bell? you wouldn't be from the north area of Manchester would you? like Middleton or something?

[quote name='ianrunci' post='229154' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:20 PM']Probably did, there were lots of stickers as per usual. Itchy feet, now why does that name ring a bell? you wouldn't be from the north area of Manchester would you? like Middleton or something?[/quote]
Spot on there mate.

Perhaps we move in the same musical circles :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='229157' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:23 PM']Spot on there mate.

Perhaps we move in the same musical circles :)[/quote]

I think Ive just heard the band name banded about, possibly by a guy calle Mke Eaton Dykes. Me and him and my brother used to host a jam night in Middleton for years, first at the nook and then at the Railway.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='229159' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:28 PM']I think Ive just heard the band name banded about, possibly by a guy calle Mke Eaton Dykes. Me and him and my brother used to host a jam night in Middleton for years, first at the nook and then at the Railway.[/quote]
Oh right. It must be just coincedence then.

The Itchy Feet I was in was based more around Eccles, but the singer when I joined had previously been in my other band, so I was "headhunted" :).

We split at the end of 1995, but it wouldn't surpise me if there are lots more bands with the same name.

May have asked you before but, living in Bury, have you seen a band called Steve Ferringo and The Top Entertainers? Well worth a night out for. The drummer was in Itchy Feet with me, and the bass player (also an Iain) is a friend too.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='229165' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:34 PM']Oh right. It must be just coincedence then.

The Itchy Feet I was in was based more around Eccles, but the singer when I joined had previously been in my other band, so I was "headhunted" :).

We split at the end of 1995, but it wouldn't surpise me if there are lots more bands with the same name.

May have asked you before but, living in Bury, have you seen a band called Steve Ferringo and The Top Entertainers? Well worth a night out for. The drummer was in Itchy Feet with me, and the bass player (also an Iain) is a friend too.[/quote]

Can't say I have although I have only been in Bury for Three years. I'm originaly from Clayton in East manchester I moved up here when I married my wife. If your from north Manchester though I would be suprised if I haven't come accross you somehwere. Then again maybe I have just heard the band name through an agent at some point

Friday night in a remote country pub again. Great fun, tiny rig- just my little Laney practice amp and one Mackie cab. All singing and dancing with great banter.

Guitarist in other acoustic trio due back from Thailand on Tuesday, into scurrying rehearsals for impending festival gig.

Second gig of the weekend, top of the bill at a local festival thrown by the Army.

Met another Basschatter, Grapevinebass, who bought me a beer!

Only 20 minutes over schedule, and played 20 minutes past time so all was well in the end. (Just finishing before the football kicke off.)

Luckily our sound guy was there to man the desk (came as a paying punter) as the guy who was hired to do the event was on his phone or kipping in his van most of the time. :)

Unfortunately we forgot to thank our sound man from the stage... :blush:

Pretty good first gig with the new drummer at a pub in Holbrook (nr Derby). She's only been with us 6 weeks but has learnt, and pretty much nailed, every song.

Good - we got booked for another gig there next month purely on the strength of the soundcheck!

Bad - My mate who came to watch had too much to drink and thought that "crazy train" was our best song. We didn't play it!

I had a couple of gigs this weekend... both were fab. The last few gigs have been hard work musically, so this weekend has been a well-timed lift.

My 'big' amp is in the shop getting a minor problem fixed, so I pulled my Mesa Walkabout head out of the Scout cab. OMG... it's the roundest, fattest tone I've had in ages. I love that little amp!

Saturday's gig was my first with [url="http://www.myspace.com/thecaffreybrothers"]my 'other' new band[/url] - who are very well established round these parts - at The Studio in Hartlepool. I had 12 original songs to learn in three weeks, with only two short band rehearsals. I've listened to NOTHING else in all that time..!

The tunes are really stretching me - there's all sorts of styles in the music, including Latin, which has been quite an experience.

It went great, a few hairy moments, but the drummer is fab and kept me right. Nice room, nice crowd, nice house PA. I'm looking forward to the other gigs!

Here's a pic:

Just back from tonight's (well last nights now) foray to Stubbington. Down to a four piece as our second guitarist couldn't make it and keys (who the drummer & I met up with at Spock's Beard on Thursday night) was again unavailable.

Still Kev, Max & I have played together as a three piece (plus vocalist) for a good many years now so it was no great problem, just a bit more sonic space to fill without going too over the top.

Steve got the crowd chivvied along and generally a good night was had by all. Looked like at least a couple of other bands in taking notes :)

And once again I have to say that the L2500 was just massive :huh: Lovely rich rocky tone with just the right amount of treble. I love my Wal, but I really wish I had found out about G&L's sooner.

I was a bit worried that my shoulder was going to give out during the evening as the (legal) drugs did not seem to have had any effect at the start of the night, so I had a bar stool tucked away on stage, which of course led to a huge amount of pee taking. Thankfully it was not required. Adrenaline is a marvellous thing!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='229726' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:13 PM'][b]I WILL SURVIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!![/b][/quote]
ROFL!

No doubt you will. Was there something in particular that prompted this outburst, or was it just a general comment on Live, the Universe etc?

Played my last gig with my band :)

All very amicable, most of the band wanted to go down a harder rock (metal) route and I didn't!

The crowd made it a very enjoyable last gig and it wouldn't have been the same if the singer hadn't given his car keys to his girlfriend (he's tee-total BTW)... who promptly left at the end of the evening in her car with his keys safely in her bag. OH and she also had his mobile, which contains 'her' mobile number that he can never remember :huh:

I have also finally cemented my relationship with my Aggie DB12s and my Thunderfunk :huh: In my search to get the tone I lost when my H&K bassbase combos both died I've been thinking that I've needed to step back from the whole Neo route and the Aggies have convinced me that taking steps backward have got me to where I want to be. I had 2 bass players and a guitarist come up to me during the break/end of night and said that the bass sounded fantastic and they were even more surprised to learn that even though the guitar and drums were through the PA, I was using my backline as the only source. They were actually people who I respect (and they weren't p*ssed) so their comments meant something.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='233454' date='Jul 6 2008, 09:11 AM']Played my last gig with my band :)

All very amicable, most of the band wanted to go down a harder rock (metal) route and I didn't!

The crowd made it a very enjoyable last gig and it wouldn't have been the same if the singer hadn't given his car keys to his girlfriend (he's tee-total BTW)... who promptly left at the end of the evening in her car with his keys safely in her bag. OH and she also had his mobile, which contains 'her' mobile number that he can never remember :huh:[/quote]
So... are they going to carry on without you? Assuming they can find their way out of the pub now you're gone, that is... :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='233454' date='Jul 6 2008, 09:11 AM']I have also finally cemented my relationship with my Aggie DB12s and my Thunderfunk :huh: In my search to get the tone I lost when my H&K bassbase combos both died I've been thinking that I've needed to step back from the whole Neo route and the Aggies have convinced me that taking steps backward have got me to where I want to be. I had 2 bass players and a guitarist come up to me during the break/end of night and said that the bass sounded fantastic and they were even more surprised to learn that even though the guitar and drums were through the PA, I was using my backline as the only source. They were actually people who I respect (and they weren't p*ssed) so their comments meant something.[/quote]
I'll give it two weeks. :huh: