Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Havant Arts Centre - excellent gig, a few old faces turned up and we played better than we have for years. Having a cracking soundman (our ex-drummer, no really!) who knows his PA, having it all just-so on stage and sticking religiously to the '2-pint rule' helped enourmously. :huh:

I'd forgotten just how good the bass sounds and feels when you're standing in front of a decent bass rig at volume. :) That Bass Xciter really works with my ABM...

[quote name='simondee' post='218535' date='Jun 13 2008, 07:59 PM']played the Astoria on wednesday. AWESOME experience.

[url="http://www.vimeo.com/1160766"]http://www.vimeo.com/1160766[/url] - video evidence![/quote]

Nice one!
i like your band, a bit different and some cool bass playing and great tone! :)

Had one of those gigs where the crowd made the night. it was a pub where lots of musos go an it was our first time there. they seem to have lots rock and blues bands there but we were a little bit different and they really seem to enjoy it. we asked the landlord how did we do and he said everyone enjoed themselves so what does that tell you. a repeat booking and a great night.

Last night was a private do in a village hall in deepest, darkest Northumberland. Beautiful.

The hall was big and boomy and the stage was tiny, but the people were lovely (some were VERY lovely. It was hard to concentrate...).

That's it with my main gig for a couple of weeks. I've just got another gig on the side and I have a load of tunes to learn for those, now. My head hurts.

Good god... :)

The pros;
- The Markbass and schroeder where immencely loud and tonally wonderful without PA support.
- My Bacchus was brilliant
- The Crowd where good, and we won (it was a QF BOTB)

The Cons;
- Getting there and drinking at 7, not realising we wernt on till about half midnight. Thus going into my lady friends car for a sleep, didnt wake up untill 12:27 and taking three songs to remember how to play a bass. we had a four song set.

Went to see Merton's band 'Back In The Day' at The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead last night. Great band and the bass & drums were fabulous! Despite Merton's protests, he's a great player who knows how to use his gear to the max..

Good vibe all night helped by quite an attractive audience! Photo's are a bit blurry and this one was taken before the dancefloor literally filled up with women , but hopefully you'll get the gist...
[attachment=9638:Misc_050.jpg]

here's another..
[attachment=9641:merton__s_gig_1.jpg]

[attachment=9640:Misc_058.jpg]
Not sure what Merton was trying to say to me at this point, but I don't think it was "See, my right-hand technique really is improving" :)

Cheers Mert; had a great night!
Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

Had a gig at Notley Abbey last night.
The gig was an easy one, 3 sets spread out over three hours so we did 3x40 with breaks in between. Audience were great, not a lot of them but they were up dancing all night. Makes it sem all worth while.

First gig with the 1212L and it was fantastic. Really loud without PA support. Seemed very middy from where i was standing (the acoustics were terrible)but out front in the room it filled out and the low end was thick but never muddy (as expected). Its such a different sound to the UL212.
Still got this noise coming from the cab but its something loose or a wire touching a cone so it wasn't really a problem. ill sort it out at the next gig
I believe the cab will warm up a bit after a few gigs like my 1210R did but even if it didn't I'm really happy with this cab.

It was also my first gig with an electronic kit. Went better than i thought but I'm not convinced it sounded better than the real deal. Back to a real kit next week for the Holiday camp.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='219174' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:14 PM']Went to see Merton's band 'Back In The Day' at The Crow's Nest in East Grinstead last night. Great band and the bass & drums were fabulous! Despite Merton's protests, he's a great player who knows how to use his gear to the max..

Cheers Mert; had a great night!
Nik[/quote]

Cheers Nik, excellent to see you and thanks for the kind words :) Hope the TV does the job, will dig out the remote asap.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='219174' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:14 PM'][attachment=9640:Misc_058.jpg]
Not sure what Merton was trying to say to me at this point, but I don't think it was "See, my right-hand technique really is improving" :huh:[/quote]
But it is........ :huh:

[quote name='Merton' post='219433' date='Jun 15 2008, 08:46 PM']Cheers Nik, excellent to see you and thanks for the kind words :) Hope the TV does the job, will dig out the remote asap.

But it is........ :huh:[/quote]
Funny, I thought you were telling me to F.Off in Vulcan or something like that :huh:

mixed feelings about the performance on monday...

wore my kilt and that went down a storm... plenty of people cheering and singing along...

how ever at the start the mic didn't work and didn't cut in till the 2nd part of the first verse

and about 30 seconds before the end of the song my E string sought of snapped but when looking at it, it was stretched at the bridge... i was only playing fingerstyle, for a rock song... but we won 30 quid each for performing one song so didn't do to bad to say...

ooops... but not all is lost because this was only a run through on the better to come cos on thursday we're doing our full half an hour set and the parents will be there so should be a good evening...

as long as i don't break nothing...

:huh:

no pictures as yet... :)

Edited by teen t-shirt

Last nights gig was awesome it was at The Downtown Diner in Ashford,Kent

First up there was a band call Secret Love Society they were hilarious, had huge egos and a bad attitude they got kicked off stage for throwing the house mike around they were warned twice but they had too much ego to stop so they got kicked off (if you want to see how much they think of themselves check out there [url="http://www.myspace.com/secretlovesociety"]Myspace[/url] )

Second up were a soft rock 3 piece it was there first gig not sure what they were called but they were quite tight and i think they will do well.

Then we played i thought we did ok bit rusty places but we have been offerd another gig there so we must have done alright.

Lastly Tyrannosaurus Alan played with them a few times always a good laugh they did a great Ska/Punk set.

At the end of the gig i found he first bands tambourine because they had left and they were so up themselves i did [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=389814606"]this[/url] and sent them a message i await there reply.

Edited by waynepunkdude

I've just read every single one of the posts on here and i was pi**ing my sides, i've never laughed as much in my life, if this is what gigging is all about then i cant wait to start, i suppose your gonna get dumps you have to play in (as bon scott said, "its a long way to the top,if you wanna rock n roll") but you take the rough with the smooth.
Keep up the good work guys and gals, it makes me proud to say im a bassist.

"At the end of the gig i found he first bands tambourine because they had left and they were so up themselves i did [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=389814606"]this[/url] and sent them a message i await there reply."

Quality Myspace page! Keep us posted!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Had an awesome gig last night at The Joogleberry in Brighton - great vibe in the room, support act were cool and we managed to bring a good audience! Played two half hour sets, all originals.

Photos: [url="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39387&id=13382252282"]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3938...;id=13382252282[/url]

(Yes, we are a motley crew...)

Alex

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='220396' date='Jun 17 2008, 10:05 AM']"At the end of the gig i found he first bands tambourine because they had left and they were so up themselves i did [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=389814606"]this[/url] and sent them a message i await there reply."

Quality Myspace page! Keep us posted![/quote]

Long as they make there mind up how they are going to spell Tambourine.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='220223' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:26 PM']First up there was a band call Secret Love Society they were hilarious, had huge egos and a bad attitude they got kicked off stage for throwing the house mike around they were warned twice but they had too much ego to stop so they got kicked off[/quote]

They sound like Black Sabbath in an Alice Cooper style.

got our first gig for this year coming up this saturday (yeah its taken a while)

i've briefly mentioned it before, but he it is again for those who might be in the area (though if you are i'd imagine you are lost :huh: )

we are playing in a village in lincolnshire called Gedney Drove End, not really much there, a couple of pubs really and we are playing outside one of them, on the back of a curtain side trailer :) :huh: :ph34r: . i think there are a couple of bands on before us doing short sets. we go on at 8. bit nervous about this one with it being outside due to the sound issues that come with doing that.

but if any of you happen to be lost in that area on saturday night pop in and have a look.

it's free by the way as its out side, and i think we have to finish by 10pm, again cos we are outside and the police get miffed.

i'll fill you in on how it went on monday.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='222029' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:49 AM']Good luck buddy

Is it your first gig or just your bands first gig?[/quote]

we've been together for nearly 2 years now, but it's just this years first gig. we've played up there before about 3 times already and a load of other gigs too.