Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

Pete Academy

Having failed miserably to sell my Tobias Classic 5 on here and ebay, I agreed with Mark at Bass Direct for him to sell it on commission. I shipped it, and as soon as he received it, there it was on his website with some great photos. The next day I got a call saying he'd sold it!

I strongly urge anyone to consider this service when trying to sell a bass. Mark really knows his stuff with regards to how much your bass is worth and will give you an honest recommendation on price.

And he sold me a great Roscoe SKB 5 to boot. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='752053' date='Feb 20 2010, 06:56 PM']Having failed miserably to sell my Tobias Classic 5 on here and ebay, I agreed with Mark at Bass Direct for him to sell it on commission. I shipped it, and as soon as he received it, there it was on his website with some great photos. The next day I got a call saying he'd sold it!

I strongly urge anyone to consider this service when trying to sell a bass. Mark really knows his stuff with regards to how much your bass is worth and will give you an honest recommendation on price.

And he sold me a great Roscoe SKB 5 to boot. :)[/quote]

Glad to hear you got shot nice and quick with them :rolleyes:

Their site is a bit hard to use but if it worked for you then fantastiche!

[quote name='silddx' post='752080' date='Feb 20 2010, 07:15 PM']What's his commission rate Pete, might try this myself!

Glad that worked so well for you! Things are dire in the BS FS section at the moment aren't they.

Also, did it sell for your agreed price and have you got your money yet?[/quote]

15% commission i believe

Two years ago I decided to treat myself to a new bass, and Roscoe seemed a good choice. Having researched them on the net, I contacted Mark for more advice. He was extremely patient and helpful during those numerous emails and phone calls, and it was this that was a major factor in me buying. I ended up going to his house to collect the bass, as his shop wasn't open yet. I was his first Roscoe customer.

I'm planning to visit his shop at some point. The sheer amount of quality stock is mighty impressive.

I bought my Genz Benz/Bergantino rig from Mark.I initially placed an order with him for
a Berg HS410,and when it arrived Mark was happy to let me try out a couple different
heads to go with it-again,before he had his shop.

I need to take a trip to his new shop.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only 2nd the stunning service here. Mark invested a great deal of time and effort in me yesterday, happy to take my critisism over a few instruments I tried and didn't like at the shop, and able to open my eyes to others I hadn't considered. He seriously knows his stock and you can tell he's played and understands the qualities of all of his basses.

His service is so good he even picked me up and dropped me back off at the train station AND made me a cuppa. He did me a stunningy good deal on a trade with my Overwater and I really don't feel like I could ask for more.

I would recommend the Bass Direct service for anyone at all, particuarly those looking to buy a top end instrument and want to know what's really out there. Make the journey to Bass Ditect and try 30 custom basses... There will be one that feels right!!!

Cheers Mark

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='770021' date='Mar 10 2010, 07:47 AM']I can only 2nd the stunning service here. Mark invested a great deal of time and effort in me yesterday, happy to take my critisism over a few instruments I tried and didn't like at the shop, and able to open my eyes to others I hadn't considered. He seriously knows his stock and you can tell he's played and understands the qualities of all of his basses.

His service is so good he even picked me up and dropped me back off at the train station AND made me a cuppa. He did me a stunningy good deal on a trade with my Overwater and I really don't feel like I could ask for more.

I would recommend the Bass Direct service for anyone at all, particuarly those looking to buy a top end instrument and want to know what's really out there. Make the journey to Bass Ditect and try 30 custom basses... There will be one that feels right!!!

Cheers Mark[/quote]

And you ended up buying the Roscoe Century Standard fretless 6 string from him, he's a clever one that Mark, like a dealer outside the playground, only with bass gear :)

Brilliant!

[quote name='51m0n' post='770161' date='Mar 10 2010, 10:58 AM']And you ended up buying the Roscoe Century Standard fretless 6 string from him, he's a clever one that Mark, like a dealer outside the playground, only with bass gear :)

Brilliant![/quote]

As part of a trade... I didn't strictly 'buy' it. :-)

[quote name='OldGit' post='753069' date='Feb 21 2010, 06:18 PM']Sunday 18th April, chaps ...[/quote]

I'll try and make it to this. I won't be buying any new basses again in the next few years, but I have still used Mark for strings recently, and got a very impressive list of stock along with them that I'd like to see!

I finally ordered something from Mark from the first time yesterday, but not before emailing him numerous times for quotes, advice etc. He's always been terrific in replying to me and I'm glad I've finally sent some business his way.... and hope to do so again soon. :)

Edited by walbassist