Why become a member? ×

Recommend me 1 bass

Jamesemt

I'm in the process of selling most of my basses and just having one really good one to use for everything.

So what do you recommend?

Can spend around £1300 from current bass sales - maybe an extra £800 if I sell my P Special.

Must be active and light for pop/rock stuff with 38mm nut width.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about a Sadowsky atm... I'm quite liking my SX Jazz, so old school ish may be the way forward...

For that money these would not be new but......

The Alleva Coppolo's are expensive but they are great playing basses.

I've had a couple of Sadowsky's, they didn't really float my boat but I did try a four string a couple of years ago that I really liked.

Celinder also makes fantastic basses.

If I had to pick only one bass it would be........................between Celinder and Alleva - not bothered.

Edited to add that you could search for longer and find an equivalent Fender - I played two brilliant Fenders last week. One of them only cost a few hundred pounds too!(Japanese)

Edited by Flanker

[quote name='Flanker' post='751099' date='Feb 19 2010, 04:46 PM']For that money these would not be new but......

The Alleva Coppolo's are expensive but they are great playing basses.

I've had a couple of Sadowsky's, they didn't really float my boat but I did try a four string a couple of years ago that I really liked.

Celinder also makes fantastic basses.

If I had to pick only one bass it would be........................between Celinder and Alleva - not bothered.

Edited to add that you could search for longer and find an equivalent Fender - I played two brilliant Fenders last week. One of them only cost a few hundred pounds too!(Japanese)[/quote]Very much doubt you would find an Alleva for 1300 maybe a Celinder..i could be wrong.. :)

Jazz of some sort?

Lakland 44-02 is pretty versatile

not sure if Sadowsky is a do all bass?

I played a Low End and it was damn versatile!

or what Hamster said...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='arsenic' post='751226' date='Feb 19 2010, 06:34 PM']If it were me, I would go for a Status Streamline - around the £1425 according to their pricelist.[/quote]
Super cool bass, nearly bought one. Couldn't get an answer from Status though. So I ended up with a Warwick.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='751248' date='Feb 19 2010, 06:51 PM']Status Streamline.......[/quote]

+1,

Mine can do pretty much anything I want it to, except look like a conventional bass (that's what the Ray's for) on the occasion when that might be needed. If that isnt a problem for yer, get a Streamline.

In my bass line up basses come and go.................this one aint going anywhere (unless it's to fund a Streamline 5 at some point)

Edited by martthebass

[quote]Very much doubt you would find an Alleva for 1300 maybe a Celinder..i could be wrong..[/quote]

[quote]Can spend around £1300 from current bass sales - maybe an extra £800 if I sell my P Special.[/quote]

The extra £800.00 would comfortably put you in Alleva/Celinder territory.

Another vote for the Status Streamline. There's nothing quite like them to play & they sound amazing, as well as only weighing around six pounds.

Here's Mart's (my old one) & my new one...

Also available in different colours - Here's a cool red one with gold hardware Vern ordered last year...

Actually James, I just noticed you're very close to me - I'm just over the Humber Bridge, so you're welcome to come and try mine. :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

those streamlines look pretty wicked.

from my 20+ years playing I've found the MM Bongo and G&L L-2000 the most versatile of the lot. I'd go for the G&L though as its more old school than the Bongo with a bit more wood in the tone,They're really huge sounding in a band setting with loads of bottom end and they can do a load of sounds with the switching and sounds great active or passive.

My one has the maple top and also the J profile #8 neck

[attachment=43100:DSC00118.JPG]

I can only suggest an Ibanez SR (probably being the prestige unless you go s/h).
Looks pop rock, weighs very little & has a huge pallet of sounds.
But this being one of the few basses I've owned restricts me to recommending anything else (I wouldn't suggest Vox, weighs more than my house).

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='751283' date='Feb 19 2010, 07:22 PM']Actually James, I just noticed you're very close to me - I'm just over the Humber Bridge, so you're welcome to come and try mine. :)[/quote]

Thanks for that but I just can't get past the shape - seems I'm a lot more conservative than I thought :rolleyes: