Why become a member? ×

Flatwound questions

Hit&Run

I've been toying with the idea of putting some flatwounds on a couple of my harem, and have a few questions for those in the know on such matters. I had a look through a couple of flatwound threads on here, but the questions I have weren't answered in them unfortunately.

So, here goes:

1) Would I need a different guage to my preferred roundwound guage?

2) I recall reading about TIs being a bit 'looser' feeling than the taut LaBellas. If I were to get some LaBellas, would I need to lighten the guage accordingly?

3) LaBella and TI seem to predominate the choices of many players. Does anyone use any other flatwounds? I'd seen a couple of references to rotosound and status hotwires; is there any more info on these, or any other brands like Picato, Elites, GHS, D'Addario etc..

The basses I'm thinking of putting them on are a fretless (japcrap?) satellite through-neck P (through body strung), with an SD 1/4lb pickup;
and,
a fretted SX P with a wizard trad in it.

Thanks
H&R

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']1) Would I need a different guage to my preferred roundwound guage?[/quote]

Maybe? Maybe not. I use a slightly heavier gauge with flats and I like the substantial feel, but that's me.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']2) I recall reading about TIs being a bit 'looser' feeling than the taut LaBellas. If I were to get some LaBellas, would I need to lighten the guage accordingly?[/quote]

I use LaBellas and as I said above the sets I use are actually heavier than the rounds I use (usually Ernie Ball or Rotos, 100-40 or 45 - the LaBellas are 104-43 I think). I'm a pretty weedy sort so I wouldn't be doing it if it was hard work. :)

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']3) LaBella and TI seem to predominate the choices of many players. Does anyone use any other flatwounds?[/quote]

Sorry can't help there, haven't used any other brands.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I use Rotos. I've used Ernie Ball flatwounds and I think they're too 'tinny' sounding - but I think that about their strings in general. I've also tried D'Addario half-rounds but didn't like them as they seemed to go dull too quickly. Next time I put on some new strings I may give TIs or Labellas a try (not sure when that will be as I 'recycle' my Rotos in meths every once in a while).

That said, different strings of different guages may suit your P better - I have a Jazz fretless. Also, it really revolves around what sort of sound you're after and what suits the kind of music you play.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']1) Would I need a different guage to my preferred roundwound guage?[/quote]
As suggested above, they may be a heavier gauge but then Thomastik Flats are fairly light gauge - I wouldn't myself be concerned about the gauge as such but whether I liked the feel of the strings because flats, like rounds, vary a lot.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']2) I recall reading about TIs being a bit 'looser' feeling than the taut LaBellas. If I were to get some LaBellas, would I need to lighten the guage accordingly?[/quote]
La Bellas do several sets of flats of varying gauge but TIs only come in a single gauge. So you could go for the lightest La Bellas (760FL I think) if that's what suited you. The La Bellas are more of an old school sound compared to the quite middy TIs which, IME, are very good at cutting through. Nonetheless there's a variety of sounds available from both.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']3) LaBella and TI seem to predominate the choices of many players. Does anyone use any other flatwounds? I'd seen a couple of references to rotosound and status hotwires; is there any more info on these, or any other brands like Picato, Elites, GHS, D'Addario etc..[/quote]
I used to be all TI but then I had a D'Addario Chromes phase, then Joe Osborn Lakland flats, and at the moment Pyramid Golds on two basses. It's an expensive business getting into flats but they do last along time.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']I've been toying with the idea of putting some flatwounds on a couple of my harem, and have a few questions for those in the know on such matters. I had a look
The basses I'm thinking of putting them on are a fretless (japcrap?) satellite through-neck P (through body strung), with an SD 1/4lb pickup;
and,
a fretted SX P with a wizard trad in it.[/quote]
... and a P bass always sounds good with flats (IMHO)

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']1) Would I need a different guage to my preferred roundwound guage?

2) I recall reading about TIs being a bit 'looser' feeling than the taut LaBellas. If I were to get some LaBellas, would I need to lighten the guage accordingly?

3) LaBella and TI seem to predominate the choices of many players. Does anyone use any other flatwounds? I'd seen a couple of references to rotosound and status hotwires; is there any more info on these, or any other brands like Picato, Elites, GHS, D'Addario etc..[/quote]
1) Try it and see.

2) See point 1. :)

3) I've tried TIs, La Bellas and D'Addario Chromes, and in a couple of cases I've had all three on the same bass. (Not simultaneously. That's simply too much to ask of one man.) Here are some thoughts of mine:
Chromes: nice smooth surface feel, but a little too much "woof" and "click" (all low-mids and surprisingly bright tops) and not enough growl in the mids. Sensible flexibility, though.
TIs: really sproingy, to the extent that I found they "dragged" a little under the fingers. Great sound, though. Really thick and full through the mids with an edge of bite to the top.
La Bellas: not necessarily high tension [i]per se[/i], but definitely a stiff feel. Very strong fundamental, loads of bottom and mids, very little top. Sounds "dead" by comparison to rounds, but they've got a liveliness all of their own if the funk's in your fingers.
Out of those three, the La Bellas win for me by a small margin over the TIs, just for the extra stiffness.

I've never played the Status flats, but I've got a set of Status half-wounds on my SR5 fretless at the moment, and I think they're top-notch. Great value for money and made in the UK to boot!

(As an aside, I've had D'Addario half-wounds on a couple of my basses, and they were so bad they made me want to stop playing and watch Neighbours or something. Truly awful-feeling strings IMO.)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='749038' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:24 PM']I have TIs on my fretted ibby & as they say "a bit looser", I wouldn't say they're much looser than the average set of rounds.

Be careful as some flats aren't recommended for thru body stringing (it weakens them).[/quote]

I must echo this advice. La Bella don't recommend the use of flats with thru-body stringing. Some people have got away with it, but don't be surprised if they break. There are plenty of posts on here about the subject, maybe also in the wiki!

Balcro.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='748956' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:13 PM']1) Would I need a different guage to my preferred roundwound guage?

[color="#000000"]No.[/color]

[color="#000000"]Get the same gauge you're used to.[/color]

3) LaBella and TI seem to predominate the choices of many players. Does anyone use any other flatwounds? I'd seen a couple of references to rotosound and status hotwires; is there any more info on these, or any other brands like Picato, Elites, GHS, D'Addario etc..

[color="#000000"]I've tried a few types and they all have different tones.[/color]

and,
a fretted SX P with a wizard trad in it.

[color="#000000"]My favourite for fretless are TIs, for my fretted basses I like GHS precisions or DRs, but I'm sure I'd like Labellas if I tried them.

Feel and tone are subjective and it helps if you know what you're looking for in those departments. [/color][/quote]

[quote name='xgsjx' post='749038' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:24 PM']Be careful as some flats aren't recommended for thru body stringing (it weakens them).[/quote]
[quote name='Balcro' post='749109' date='Feb 17 2010, 11:12 PM']I must echo this advice. La Bella don't recommend the use of flats with thru-body stringing. Some people have got away with it, but don't be surprised if they break. There are plenty of posts on here about the subject, maybe also in the wiki![/quote]
This sounds ominous. I remember reading about this in a previous thread. Is it basically through body strung = forget LaBella?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='749046' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:27 PM'](flats)... do last along time.[/quote]
That's what I'm hoping.

I have TI's and Status Hotwires on 2 very similar through-body P basses (one a Fender the other a Shuker). Both sets are tops but for me the TI's are overly aggressive for flats. The Status Hotwires ironically are not as "hot", have a fuller bottom end and are more silky on you fingers. Save a few bob and try out some Statii first and see what you think.

Once I switched one bass to flats, the others followed, an any new bass gets flats straight off.

As has been said, there's no substitute for trying a set, see how you get on, and then maybe try others. If your budget is flexible TIs are nice, but pricey. Rotos are cheaper, I've had a set on my P for years and they're good there. Didn't like Chromes, but you might.

[quote name='Killstarz' post='749782' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:52 PM']to answer 1 of your questions.

I've used D'addario chromes which i loved!![/quote]

+1 for chromes. I changed to flats within three weeks of taking up bass and have always hated playing rounds everytime I've played someone else's guitar.

Anyone have thoughts on the Rotosound black taped flats? I've almost bought a set a few times now, but always backed out.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='749160' date='Feb 18 2010, 12:05 AM']This sounds ominous. I remember reading about this in a previous thread. Is it basically through body strung = forget LaBella?[/quote]

I put a set of TIs on a string through bass and the A string snapped at the bridge before I'd even got it in tune.

[quote name='lanark' post='749879' date='Feb 18 2010, 03:45 PM']+1 for chromes. I changed to flats within three weeks of taking up bass and have always hated playing rounds everytime I've played someone else's guitar.

Anyone have thoughts on the Rotosound black taped flats? I've almost bought a set a few times now, but always backed out.[/quote]

I only use Chromes now. Tried GHS, La Bella, Fender, Roto and TI's

I love (and so does my G'tard) how Chromes sound when they have been on a few weeks. They are way to brite when new. The others were OK (except La Bella which I personally did not like at all!) but just didnt move me.

You need to try some and see what you think.

Roto Nylons are OK but very soft and way large gauge, sound very thuddy. GHS nylons are way better in tone and feel,.

IMHO of course.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='749991' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:29 PM']I put a set of TIs on a string through bass and the A string snapped at the bridge before I'd even got it in tune.[/quote]
I've used TI flats through body for years without a problem :rolleyes: except once when the A string went at the bridge :)

I always go through the bridge not the body now as I can't hear any difference in tone anyway.

EDIT: I should add that the A string which broke had been fine for nearly two years.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='The Burpster' post='750007' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:40 PM']I only use Chromes now. Tried GHS, La Bella, Fender, Roto and TI's

I love (and so does my G'tard) how Chromes sound when they have been on a few weeks. They are way to brite when new. The others were OK (except La Bella which I personally did not like at all!) but just didnt move me.

You need to try some and see what you think.

Roto Nylons are OK but very soft and way large gauge, sound very thuddy. GHS nylons are way better in tone and feel,.

IMHO of course.[/quote]

Interesting comment about the Chromes. Personally I started my flats journey on Roto's which I liked and now really don't like :) I've also tried the black nylon Trubass strings, Labella's and TI's. I've generally stuck with TI's as I really like the sound even though the tension is so low it doesnt really mix with my heavy handed technique.

I recently bought a set of Chromes on BC which I tried on my Pino - very strange, they sounded more like rounds than flats. Nice and smooth feel, and a good level of tension but I wasn't sure I liked the sound. Any idea's about breaking them in nice and quick? I'd like to know how much they mellow out really

J

[quote name='bigjohn' post='749991' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:29 PM']I put a set of TIs on a string through bass and the A string snapped at the bridge before I'd even got it in tune.[/quote]

And i have a 51p with Ti's strung though the body and have encountered no problems whatsoever...and yes. they are more flexy than La Bellas, but i prefer the sound of the La Bellas to the TI's, as said above, the TI's are VERY middy.