Why become a member? ×

First/current gigging rig

ThomBassmonkey

Torque 100 watt 1x15 combo and a Hohner Lx90B.
Still use that bass sometimes, as good a mex-p. Pity the stuff from Hohner has taken a turn for the worst. Even their Harmonica range has lost some of its quality.

Current rig is dependent on venue. Bass wise its mostly the Yamaha BB5g.

Edited by Mog

You had an intresting picture at your post.
Selmer Thunderbird 100 combo in the picturehas been in my possession for over three years. I haven`t been able to correct it at the Selmer pages.
It has been on stage regularly an even used by Alan Lovell of The Swinging Blue Jeans, when they visited Porvoo In Finland summer 2009.

First: An Aria Cardinal Series CSB360 Bass through a Vox Venue 100W combo

Current: Various bass (See my sig below) through one of the following 3 rigs:

1) Line 6 Pod Pro (via BBE Sonic Maximiser) into Ampeg SVTIIIPro powering a Mesa/Boogie 2x15 Diesel
2) Tech 21 RBI or RPM preamp into Peavey DPX digital power amp powering either a Genz Benz Neox212T or Bergantino NV610
3) Gallien Kreuger 800RB powering either a Genz Benz Neox212T or Bergantino NV610

Edited by cetera

First rig: Hondo II Precision copy through 90W Carlsboro Combo

First gig rig: Aria SB700 bass (my brother still has it - don't get nostalgic - its crap) and a Sound City 120 W head and a cusom built 2x18 cab

Last gig: German/Czech 5 string double bass and Eden Metro Combo. Also using my Wal Custom fretless 4 string through the same amp.

I started with a Yamaha RBX 260 through a Trace Elliot Commando 15 amp

Now i play a custom Shuker 5 through an Eden Metro and 2x15 cab

Been settled on the bass for about 6 years now, think i may have finally settled on a rig too once the WT550 comes to replace the Metro.

I had a Marlin Jazz bass. Bloody awful it was.

That went into a, made in someone's garage in Southport, bass head. That someone was called Sperrin. Sounded good, but was flaky.

That went into a single 20" PA bass bin. Which was awesome.

On the plus side, during this era, I did sometimes use my mates vintage Hiwatt 100 lead head & cab. The Marlin was still crap though.

My first was a Peavey Milestone 4 (I think that's what it was called!) and a Carlsbro 90watt bass/keyboard amp. Really old looking thing, cost about £50 at the time.

First gig rig was a Peavey 5 string bass (can't remember name, it was flame orange) and Peavey TNT 115.

Current rig - a bit better now ;-) See below!

THOM - love the santa mate!!!

My first 'Proper' gig rig, was an Ashdown Electric Blue 180W 1x12 combo, with my Marcus Miller Jazz IV, and a Yamaha RBX270J borrowed from a friend, until i bought my MiM Precision!

Nothing special, but it went over an EL34 loaded JCM900 stack, a Master Lead 50 halfstack, and a loud drummer no problem at all! Wish i had never sold it...

[quote name='dbass' post='1065779' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:33 PM']THOM - love the santa mate!!![/quote]

He's there for tone, the top of the head vibrates in a certain way, after it's gone through the air inside him (much like a valve), it goes back through the head to the cab and helps boost the bass frequencies without making it muddy.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

The first rig I used live properly was my 1989 Kubicki Ex Factor #1777 into an Ashdown MAG amp owned by the venue I played at. These days it's my 1989 Kubicki Ex Factor #1659 and my ACG Harlot Singlecut into my Ashdown MK500 combo. Well, this is a studio only rig as I've given up on live playing to enjoy the comfortable, musical surroundings of the studio.

First gigging rig 1993

Encore PB3 (I know, plush with 2 pups) Laney Linebacker 100 into a HH 215. I've made my disgust about this cab known on the recent HH thread, and it was replaced by an original Hartke 410XL, much, much better. I changed to a Silver Series Squier Jazz and Hartke 1400 head, then the tobacco sunburst ASAT and most recently the rig in my signature. It doesn't mention the boss tweed finish of the cabs though. This set up is going to be around a while.

Say's it all in the title of the thread for me. I've been gigging since 1981 when I was 17, using a 100 watt traynor bass master head with the matching 2 x 15 cab and a 79 blonde stingray, most recent gig, saturday night, same gear. 0ld fashioned I know (& some might say tight arse) but I love the sound & people allway's comment on how good it sounds!
For the record the stingray cost £250, & the amp £100, . . . lot of money in those day's

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1065770' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:29 PM']I've done a full upgrade again since I started this thread hehe.

Here's my new gear:

[/quote]

how u liking the Sandberg JM5?

bass set up of xmas past - Ventura 5 string POS & Peavey KB 100
bass set up of xmas present - Sandberg JM5, Markbass LMK & Aguilar GS112
bass set up of xmas future - Musicman 5, MTD, EBS HD350 & 2 4x10 cabs (i wish)

Steep learning curve for me. Played guitar as a yoof in the early-mid 70s then stopped. My first bass was a Pervey Millstone through a secondhand TKO 80. Played extensively in the spare room for about a month in 2005 and then abandoned. Picked it up again in 2007, practised like mad, bought a Hayman 4040, joined a band and bought an Ashdown MAG 300 rig. Changed the Hayman to a Fender Jaguar, changed the Ashdown to Trace Elliot with which I am more than happy. Joined a second band. Bought and sold several other basses in search of something special and currently have a Fender Power Jazz Special that I am bonding with majorly. But have also developed a casual affair on the side with JapCrap and in the new year will be pimping my Washburn Scavenger. That and the two Fenders should keep me quiet for a while. Good fun innit!

Can't believe I missed out on this thread before!

First/Giggable rig:
Bass: Ibanez GSR-180 (unmodded)
Amp: Line 6 Lowdown 110

Still have it, gig with it and use it for home practice when attempting to keep the volume low :)

Went through a transition to five-strings, then back to four again with the Squier

Current rig: (link in the siggy)
Bass: Ibanez GSR-180 with series/parallel mod switch
Amp: GK MB-500 into EBS 4x10 (with supporting cabs, see link)

Here's a piccie

Ian

I know I've posted this before somewhere, but first rig (1977) was a Kalamazoo KB bass through a home-made amp made by my brother that looked remarkably like an IRA bomb of that era - mind you, he even built in a distortion circuit (now works for Siemens, clever sod......) Cab was the wooden carcass of an old TV set that I spent forever stripping and varnishing, with two speakers scrounged from my Dad's old Bush radiogram (probably about 3W each despite being around 10"). It literally fell apart like a comedy prop on the first gig, as soon as I cranked it up. Had to then share the keyboard players Selmer amp.

Replacement was a 2nd hand Carslsboro Stingray head into a home-made 4x12 (proper Celestions mind) - undoubtedly a POS but I felt I was finally a Rock God. :)

Kids these days with their Ashdowns and Hartkes, dunno they're born, [tuh!] :)

Edited by Shaggy