Why become a member? ×

Really...?!

Dubs

It's an instrument cable, Jim, but not as we know it...

[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/Bass-Guitar-Accessories/Guitar-Leads-and-Pickups/sc1637/p7742.aspx"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/...1637/p7742.aspx[/url]

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but how the hell can a cable be bass specific? ...and is it really worth £30?!

:)

Edited by Dubs

This used to be called market segmentation when I was actively involved in that kind of thing. Of course it's bollocks but plenty will fall for it. After all, it "uses 3-Way Differential Cable Architecture". They're just copying Monster, who also use meaningless pseudo-scientific puffery to justify their inflated prices.

[quote name='stevie' post='742904' date='Feb 12 2010, 11:02 AM']This used to be called market segmentation when I was actively involved in that kind of thing. Of course it's bollocks but plenty will fall for it. After all, it "uses 3-Way Differential Cable Architecture". They're just copying Monster, who also use meaningless pseudo-scientific puffery to justify their inflated prices.[/quote]

I seriously think trading standards should get involved with stuff like this. It's difficult when they make weak subjective statements like "it will make your bass sound better"... etc.

This is what you need for tone.

Only £2204 for a kettle lead
No snake oil here

Valhalla Power Cord

Ideal partner with The Quantum. Unterminated cable is not available.

VALHALLA Reference Power Cord from Nordost redefines the standards of performance in this category. The Valhalla offers a dramatic sound stage, tremendous dynamic range and superb articulation of the musical event. When used with video components; clarity, detail, and the natural depth of colors are revealed. Valhalla Power Cord uses our new proprietary 'Dual Micro Mono-filament' technology to enhance audio and video performance.

The cable consists of 7 solid extruded silver 16 AWG OFC conductors suspended in a Dual Micro Mono-Filament design. By using solid core extruded silver over OFC conductors, strand interaction, hot spots and carbonization, which can occur in stranded cables, are eliminated ensuring optimum performance. The VAHALLA power cable has a very high propagation speed. Unlike conventional power cables which have propagation speeds of less than 50% the speed of light, VALHALLA Reference power cord has a speed of 90 % the speed of light. This offers vast improvements in all facets of musical and visual performance. VALHALLA power cable also uses Nordost's proprietary 'Dual Micro Mono-Filament' technology which greatly enhances audio and video performance. This technology uses two FEP Mono-Filament threads which are wound around one another. These dual Mono-Filaments are then drawn around the conductor in a very precise helix pattern, this construction introduces more air space around the conductors and insulation contact with the conductors is reduced by more than 85%. Extruded FEP insulation is superior to all other materials in that it has very low signal loss and a high thermal efficiency meaning that it dissipates heat very quickly. This allows greater power to be transferred more efficiently. The use of FEP Micro Mono-Filament construction which has a very low dielectric constant and minimal insulation contact with the conductor means power is transferred extremely efficiently. Dual Micro Mono-Filament technology increases current flow, improves the transmission speed to over 90% the speed of light and dissipates heat. This design lowers the resistance of the cable keeping power loss extremely low.

By using very precise manufacturing techniques, whereby the seven mono-filament silver plated power conductors are wound in a special configuration, the impedance, capacitance, and other electrical specifications are maintained to very tight tolerances. Another benefit of this design is to eliminate external EMI/RF interference. The result is truly superb sound quality and stunning visuals.

Each VALHALLA Reference is hand built at our factory in the USA using highest quality Gold Plated connectors. Each cable uses the highest grade IEC connectors with triple gold plated Oxygen Free Copper contacts for improved conductivity. The design of the connector eliminates stress so that heat cycling and vibration will not loosen the contact points. IEC and AC Main Plugs are used in each cable.

Specifications

Construction: Precision Micro Mono-Filament
Insulation: FEP
Conductors: 7 x 16 AWG with 70 microns Extruded Silver over 99.999999% OFC
Connectors: Gold Plated IEC/Wall plug US/UK/EUR
Color: Clear Red and Black filaments
Speed: 91% Speed of light
Power Rating: 60AMP
Capacitance: 8pF/ft
DC Resistance: 1.3 Ohms per 1000ft/304M as terminated.
1m available but 2m is better

[quote name='peted' post='742926' date='Feb 12 2010, 11:21 AM']I must confess to owning a couple of Monster Bass cables. I don't buy the claim that they use construction techniques to make them specifically better/suited for bass, but I do buy the fact that they come with a lifetime guarantee.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/Guitar-Accessories/Guitar-Leads-and-Pickups/sc1620/p7989.aspx"]£5 a pop...[/url] bet they sound the same and will last at least half the lifetime of a Monster cable, so buy 2 for a tenner and you'll be sorted :)

[quote name='Dubs' post='742908' date='Feb 12 2010, 11:04 AM']I seriously think trading standards should get involved with stuff like this. It's difficult when they make weak subjective statements like "it will make your bass sound better"... etc.[/quote]
I'm afraid this is just a symptom of the society we live in. All industries and markets will deceive their customers if they can get away with it and it's profitable (the tobacco industry being a prime example, but have you ever flown Ryanair?). As a consumer, you just have to be aware of how the game is played. That particular Fender cable is probably not a bad product.

Didn't Trading Standards take Russ Andrews to task not long ago? I have to say that a lot of overpriced audio bling is aimed at people who can afford it and they only have themselves to blame. Thanks to the internet, the information is out there for those who are prepared to think for themselves.

"Lifetime Guarantee" are words that should send anyone rushing to read the smallprint.

But there are other legal protections concerning the life of a product, generally referred to as 'fitness for purpose'. That might be difficult to nail down with a guitar lead but I've had things repaired at no cost outside of their 'manufacturers guarantee' period.

Loved the VALHALLA Reference Power Cord though, especially the specification "1m available but 2m is better". Yeah, right. better for whom? :)

[quote name='Dubs' post='742828' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:34 AM']It's an instrument cable, Jim, but not as we know it...

[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/Bass-Guitar-Accessories/Guitar-Leads-and-Pickups/sc1637/p7742.aspx"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/...1637/p7742.aspx[/url]

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but how the hell can a cable be bass specific? ...and is it really worth £30?!

:)[/quote]

I don't know if the Bass specific thing matters (it usually means that they colour the tone slightly),but I don't
think £30 is expensive. If you spend a lot on your equipment,it's worth buying some decent cables.

[quote name='Doddy' post='743176' date='Feb 12 2010, 03:08 PM']I don't know if the Bass specific thing matters (it usually means that they colour the tone slightly),but I don't
think £30 is expensive. If you spend a lot on your equipment,it's worth buying some decent cables.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I've spent £30 on cables in the past but I've never actually found it worth the money. All cables wear out eventually, and within reason you'll never be able to tell the difference (sound wise) between something that cost £10 and something that cost £50.

[quote name='bumnote' post='742831' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:37 AM']Eliminates noise, wrong notes and makes you more attractive to the opposite sex[/quote]

I have one of these and it looks like it was separated at birth with the lead on my iron! Anything that reminds me of ironing has definitely no sex appeal!

Sue

[quote name='Sue' post='743471' date='Feb 12 2010, 08:28 PM']I have one of these and it looks like it was separated at birth with the lead on my iron! Anything that reminds me of ironing has definitely no sex appeal!

Sue[/quote]
:)

That reminds me of those coiled leads Hendrix always seemed to have that look like they were separated at birth with the lead from a telephone!...I always thought they looked pretty cool, but I've never got round to buying one, or even finding one that I could buy!

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='743952' date='Feb 13 2010, 01:21 PM']:)

That reminds me of those coiled leads Hendrix always seemed to have that look like they were separated at birth with the lead from a telephone!...I always thought they looked pretty cool, but I've never got round to buying one, or even finding one that I could buy![/quote]

VOX make a few nice modern versions of the old coiled leads, in a couple of different colours as well.

I think I'd buy one of those Fender cables if I needed a new one and I couldn't find any normal ones on offer. I think my current big and yellow one is a Venom one which was in the region of £10 to £15.

Besides, Reverb are apparently selling that Fender cable at £20.99. Worth it for what should be good quality cable coupled to switchcraft jacks. Or you could just buy off OBBM instead for the same or better quality at a better price.