Why become a member? ×

Basslines that surprise u...

mgibson

[quote name='thinman' post='741381' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:47 PM']Ronnie Wood's playing on "Maggie May". Sometimes I think it's naff but mostly brilliant - it sounds to me like he winged it rather than studied it.[/quote]

+1 to that... Ron fluffs practically every other note, but it's a great feel... can you imagine a No. 1 hit having a take like that on it today? Or even having real bass played on it, come to that!

[quote name='thinman' post='741381' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:47 PM']Ronnie Wood's playing on "Maggie May". Sometimes I think it's naff but mostly brilliant - it sounds to me like he winged it rather than studied it.[/quote]

Ronnie Wood or Ronnie Lane?

I'm betting he was tired and emotional after a couple of light ales during the recording.

Sounds great to me. Doesn't matter to me a jot if it's technically correct or not.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='742040' date='Feb 11 2010, 01:18 PM']Colin Greenwood of Radiohead always manages to come up with something unusual that somehow 'works'... off the top of my head, I'd say Airbag.[/quote]
i love the line in "talk show host" too - so simple, but it is exactly what the song needs.

along similar lines, i think guy berryman from coldplay does a good job of keeping in the pocket whilst still being interesting and melodic-y.

and on a completely different note, the bassline in outkast's "prototype" is probably the only time I can think of that I really wasn't expecting to hear a good bassline and then had my face melt when I heard it.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='742110' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:10 PM']'Lemon Wedge' off Kim Mitchell's 'Itch' cd.

'YOU CAN BE MY LEMON WEDGE, AND I'LL BE YOUR TEQUILA!!!'[/quote]

this song is well worth checking out - i remember hearing it and being pretty surprised too. that chorus sure is catchy! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='742383' date='Feb 11 2010, 06:49 PM']Found this superb contrapuntal bassline this week while I was looking for old 80's tunes to mash up:

If you want to hear what it sounds like on a bass, this chap does a good take:
[/quote]
Hey! A fellow Go West fan! Cool :)

Having been at college and asked to learn some basslines, the two that really caught me out were my generation by the who (I just didn't really know the song at the time and wasn't expecting it to be anything like that on bass) and a song by Alanis Morisette, you oughta know (I think it was called that, but Flea basically jammed over it and compared with the rest of the album, the bassline's far more interesting though a pig to learn in a short period of time when nothing's repeated).