Why become a member? ×

Pino with the Who.

Doddy

[quote name='JTUK' post='738871' date='Feb 8 2010, 12:51 PM']The Saints won...???

Pino with The Who seems such a waste[/quote]

Session man... I suspect his band manager disagrees with you.

Loved the cymbals :)

I believe Roger's scream on "Won't get fooled again" was not him or maybe him sampled from the orginal mixed with a bit of something ...

Whomever got them that gig and the theme tunes for the CSI TV programmes is doing a mighty fine job.
At least Springsteen (last years act) is American and has current albums etc. I suspect questions were asked about that ....

[quote name='wombatboter' post='738853' date='Feb 8 2010, 12:25 PM']I don't see them as tired or drunk...where do you get that ?
The same attitude in the comments as with McCartney for instance : just some undefined criticism and vague references to age as the only solid reason. These "old" people certainly made my life more pleasant and still do.
Luckily they won't care less of what people think...[/quote]
I suppose my comments were a bit harsh - I was in a harsh mood this morning.

All credit to them for still doing what they're doing at their age, regardless of the actual outcome.
</backpedalling>

Pino, great player no doubt, nobody can replace the Ox but, well...they tried and got a great session player. Nothing wrong but just that the Who songs never quite sound the same without the original guy.

I just can't be bothered that much with the Who, the people that made the band interesting for me are dead. That statement sounds a bit harsh but Townsend and Daltrey don't do a lot for me. I have no problem with people continuing to like the band and the music, but they are one of my least-favourite bands from that era.

For a half-time superbowl thing, it wasn't bad for what it was, seeing as half-time at superbowl is becoming more dad-rock than a 10 minute MTV music awards ceremony.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='738984' date='Feb 8 2010, 03:05 PM']music..... good

roger..... ok

pete (vocal)..... crap

all imo :)[/quote]
I'll go with that. Seems fair.

I enjoyed it. Set was fantastic and good to see a British band at a major US 'cultural' and sporting event. Good on 'em.
Just wish Pete had refrained from singing. :rolleyes:

[quote]Whomever got them that gig and the theme tunes for the CSI TV programmes is doing a mighty fine job.[/quote]
Seem to remember reading/hearing Jerry Brookheimer's a bit of a fan and thought they might work as themes.

Don't know whether they should quit or not - What I do know is, if someone told me I was too old and should knock it on the head, I'd tell them where to stick it.

In their day, and on a good night, no other band came close.

Won't get fooled again - probably one of the greatest ever rock records... Fact!.. I once heard a lawyer say that, so it must be law. :)

Townshend does have that lackadaisical playing style these days though - seems to alternate between on and off-beat when it suits him, same with his vocals. Doesn't make it sound like it does on the record but I think they're past the point of trying to prove themselves as rockstars and are just enjoying themselves well into their 60s. Fair play to them!

Pino = incredible, did any of you catch his bass playing after Roger's scream in Won't Get Fooled Again? Superb, melodic, totally different from what JE would have played but still fitted perfectly with what Zak was doing. Of course, they'll never be a direct replacement for John and Keith, but they do a damn good job!

I’ve just had to learn an Ian Drury number for the cover band and he doesn’t sing one right note in the whole song, and it didn’t matter! Since when has a rock band been about doing anything "properly"? Out of tune, excessive feed back, bum notes, who cares? Did The Who rock? I know they did!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='739151' date='Feb 8 2010, 05:21 PM']I’ve just had to learn an Ian Drury number for the cover band and he doesn’t sing one right note in the whole song, and it didn’t matter! Since when has a rock band been about doing anything "properly"? Out of tune, excessive feed back, bum notes, who cares? Did The Who rock? I know they did!![/quote]

Lucky for Townsend and Daltry then..... :)

I think the who totally stank! - if they'd played like that in my local pub they'd have been thrown out!

Time to call it a day and stop living on past glories I'd say.

The Who were one of my all time favourite bands, but I'm afraid without Keith Moon and John Entwhistle they've become a sad parody of what they once were.

I read somewhere Pino has his basses custom built, NOT by Fender, but I can't recall which British builder it was

[quote name='OldGit' post='739182' date='Feb 8 2010, 05:47 PM']How many orginal people have to be left for the band to still be called The Who, do you think?[/quote]
Mark Knopfler toured and recorded as Dire Straits with only 2 of the originals and no one bothered to complain, Tower of Power toured for years without Francis Rocco Prestia, Pink Floyd have been as just good for more than 25 years without Roger Waters, Genesis survived the loss of Peter Gabriel, Queen are out there successfully gigging without Freddie, the Blockheads don't have Ian Dury and Little Feat don't have Lowell George so why should The Who need anyone other than their singer and songwriter? All these guys are out there making good live music. Thank God for that!

What an irritating thread this is turning into!!!!

What`s the deal with "they aren`t as good as Keith and John." Pino is one of the best bass players sround and Zak is a fantastic drummer. Moon was a vastly overated drummer. He is one of those guys who got better after he died.

The performance was a bit dodgy but hey, it`s rock n roll!!

Jez

The Who's last album was Endless Wire, at the end of 2006. It's a lot better than it has any real right to be - and so are the band on the strength of that performance. Townsend's vocals were pretty rough & he was trying far too hard, Daltrey's still got it though, even though he might not have the range he had 40 years ago. The mix for the first few minutes was dire & I think exaggerated vocal imperfections somewhat.

So yes, I did enjoy it - but compare it to the Live8 perfomance from 2005, the vocals were spot on (Townsend particularly) & the band seemed to have far more energy. Admittedly for that gig the rhythm section was Damon Minchella & Steve White - & for me Damon's a far better bassist for The Who than Pino. If I remember rightly the whole thing was so last-minute, he had a day to learn the parts & just one rehearsal.

Anyway whatever, cabaret or not, I'd still go & see them if they ever mainline enough Sanatogen to be able to tour - The 'Oo were the first rock band I ever got into, way before I ever picked up a bass, & Townsend's possibly the most unique & influential songwriter/guitarist this country's ever produced, even if his web-browsing history's a bit dubious. True, they're not the band they once were - but they haven't been for 32 years.

Jon.

Agree with a lot of what Bassasin and Jezzaboy have posted.

When you consider what we are told are the best live bands at the moment I would rather pay out to see the Who than some of those.
I saw the Kings of Leon on TV at one of the summer festivals. They are supposed to be a 'brilliant live act'. They were f2cking dire. Lifeless sh1t and overall crap.
Fault him for some technical f@ck ups, but I'd rather see someone like Townsend play with his passion for his art than some bunch of dire shoegazing miseries.
Seen Daltrey sing live some years back admittedly, he was superb.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='739322' date='Feb 8 2010, 07:52 PM']Moon was a vastly overated drummer. He is one of those guys who got better after he died.[/quote]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='739326' date='Feb 8 2010, 07:57 PM']True, they're not the band they once were - but they haven't been for 32 years.[/quote]

Both very well made points. I think I can safely say we've all learned something today kids. :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='739322' date='Feb 8 2010, 07:52 PM']Moon was a vastly overated drummer. He is one of those guys who got better after he died.[/quote]
In what way overrated? He was a one-off, absolutely no-one played & sounded like him in the early days of The Who. For that reason he's one of the most fundamentally influential drummers in the history of rock. How, exactly, do you "overrate" an originator?

J.

Edited by Bassassin

I am never going to like The Who as I couldn't stand Entwhitsle or Moon... but, nobody can capture their 'feel' because nobody would really want to play all of the place...with dodgy timing and everything. But it worked for the band...and they produced some timeless classics..

Now those two guys are dead the rest is just a parody... shame, but acts like this now are mostly only relevant to their pension plans...
and of course Pino would take a high profile retainer.
Good luck to them